1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay and questioning faith

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was raised Catholic. In recent years, I've seen the church for how bad it truly is. Former local bishop covering up sexual abuse scandals, first hand witnessing priests being rude to bereaved relatives to name a couple. That's before we mention their status on LGBT issues.

As you can imagine by reading the first paragraph, I am no longer Catholic in any way. At the moment, I have no religion or belief and that makes me feel empty. I don't feel comfortable with being agnostic and not having a clue about what is out there, or being atheist and knowing there is nothing after death.

As an LGBT person, it seems as if a lot of organised religions are backwards. But I want to have some sort of belief and guidance in my life.

I can imagine I am definitely not the only person here to have struggled with faith, so what are some good options?

2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Bump. Anyone here who has had a faith journey?

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I don't identify with a particular religion. But even though I was raised Christian I don't really believe any of that nor did I ever really now I think about it. The whole concept of God and that stuff never really sat well with me. I said I believed in God because that's what I was taught and I learned that a lot of people wanted to hear that so that's what I said. But I remember even as a kid confiding in my best friend who is very religious that I didn't really understand the point of praying because I never thought God listened. I now identify as an atheist with a spiritual bend. I actually dabbled in paganism for a while, and am thinking of going back to that, only a non deity centered religion now, because even though I can think of god/gods as archetypes I can't believe in actual beings that really exist. I do believe in other stuff though. I meditate, and I do believe in creative channeling, things of that nature. Love is basically my religion.

4. Meander

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At this point, I'm more of the thought that one should live life their own way now and worry about matters of belief once life is over. Any deity or giver of judgement would likely understand that so long as one doesn't set out to harm others...not condemn others based on lack of belief.

As for religious belief, part of me yearns for the idea of some sort of afterlife. But another part of me knows that that's no guarantee. Therefore, I don't claim to know the slightest thing about anything regarding 'the true faith.' I also feel that if there is a Creator, we either would've found Him/Her by now or that Him/Her doesn't want to be found. But even that's no guarantee.

See, one is almost better off living life now and worry about religious matters once death comes. At the very least, a person's dying day may be a day where he/she/they learn a lot. But for now, positing any idea of religion/deity ends up being a semantic Hydra--it creates two questions for every one potential answer.

5. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks to those who have shared their experiences.

Are there any faiths to look into?

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to my world friend. I went from the most perfectly loyal southern Baptist good-boy who believed what he was told by the church his entire life to someone who now hates everything about southern Baptists in less than a year after seeing how quickly I was shunned and treated like dirt by people who preached love and acceptance just because I wasn't straight anymore. There was literally not one person who tried to offer support or encouragement in any way, the entire group acted the same way and even used the same insults verbatim.

I still believe in the basic teachings of it all like the whole 'love thy neighbor' stuff but want no association with the Baptist church at all. I still call myself Christian due to the beliefs but I'm probably more focused on spirituality at this point, believing in the existence of God and the basic path of living a good life without being so obsessed with rules and sins like actual religions are.

#6 Destin, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, for me, when I was not into Christianity anymore and looking for something new I was drawn to paganism. There are so many brands of it there is something for everyone. A lot of people think all pagans are Wiccans but that's not true. Wicca actually didn't interest me all that much. You could honestly just start googling and reading up on it, but if you want specific resources I used, I could point you in that direction if you're interested. I was really into it for about a year or two and still read and have a collection of books on that subject.

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    YouTube is a great resource too. I wish I had discovered the paganism 101 channel sooner. Lots of nice people on there, some of whom are gay. There seem to be a lot of non straight people into paganism. Which maybe was a sign in my case lol. And there are so many books and forums as well.

#8 Love4Ever, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  9. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Joe2001..... Hi Joe! Before I start sounding too anti-religion I should tell you that I am a Christian and I have kept my faith as well as being gay. That sounds like a contradiction, but it can happen. There is a lot of indoctrination that said that being LGBTQ was a terrible sin, that taught that we are broken and must be fixed. Even when I accepted that I was and always had been gay, I still had a serious conflict between my faith and what I knew to be absolute truth...that I was gay. It so happens that my faith was a choice of my own...I was not raised to go to church and all that entails. So turning my back on what I believed was not going to be easy...and I refused to go back into the closet. I spent a little over a year in very serious study of what the Bible...not church dogma, not church leaders...says about homosexuality. I read a number of books and studied the significant passages in the Bible in the original Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek. What I found set me free and also angered me. It seems that a number of passages in the Bible have been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and sometimes even twisted to justify a predetermined, prejudiced point of view. A view that supports the belief that any non-heterosexual relationship is evil, sinful and immoral. At best this is unforgivingly poor scholarship. At worst this is an outright lie. I can tell you that nowhere does the Bible condemn same-sex relationships as we know them...why? Simply because same-sex relationships as we know them did not even exist at the time the Old and New Testament were written. If you would like more detailed information about this I can provide it for you...just let me know. So my point here is that the guilt and shame that caused so much self-hate in my life has no foundation at all. I was told that every LGBTQ individual had made a choice to be that way because they were filled with lust. I was told that all of us were going to hell. IT.IS.A.LIE. I am made in the image of God. God made me the way I am. I am as I was meant to be and never, ever need to be ashamed of who I am. Learning that what I had been told for so long was completely false, made me very angry for a while...but understanding that there was no justification at all for me to feel that guilt set me free. Now that I know there is no reason at all to feel that guilt, I am completely free of it...it's gone! So, yes I am a Christian and I do believe most of what present-day Christianity teaches...but I examine everything! I don't accept anything just because a minister said it. It's sad that so many organized churches have invested so much of their reputation and pride in an anti-LGBTQ stance when the Bible that they claim to believe in does not condemn us.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

10. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am mostly a spiritual person, even though I was raised Catholic. I have distanced myself from the catholic faith/religion in general because I feel like religion is too controlling and it has too much fear. I rather have a life of freedom and still believe in God, but without feeling restricted to a certain religion - if that makes any sense. But I am in a similar situation.

11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Jewish, so I can't speak from personal experience about the Christian faith, but I have a friend who has been deeply involved with Q Christian Fellowship (formerly Gay Christian Network). It brings in people from different Christian traditions who are LGBT and helps them reconcile their faiths with their sexual orientation and gender identity. They have some resources you may want to check out: https://www.qchristian.org/. I also went to a pride festival in my city last month and there were plenty of churches there. There weren't any Catholic ones from what I can recall but there were Episcopalian, Unitarian, UCC, Presbyterian, and nondenominational. I'm sure a Google search would turn up some more LGBT-affirming congregations in your area.

12. zuice

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Love thy neighbor is my motto.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I've already mentioned to you, the Scottish Episcopal Church is very tolerant towards LGBT people. It's a Christian denomination in your country that is similar in style to Catholicism, but very different in substance, with gay clergy and laity and marriage ceremonies for same sex couples. If you're looking for a faith tradition that feels familiar, but embraces the nature of life in the 21st century, with an emphasis on love and mercy it could be the way to go.

If you are looking for something very different that is soft-theistic or non-theistic (in other words, less inclined towards worship of God, or Gods) you might wish to consider Buddhism. You could begin by reading The Dhammapada; a collection of sayings of The Buddha - the founder of Buddhism.

14. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. Might look into it then. Not planning to actively practice as I don't enjoy church, but I do want faith.

Will I feel out of place if I have any beliefs as a gay person of my generation? Christianity is dying out now.

#14 Joe2001, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  15. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if it's different based on the area, but nearly all LGBT people I've met identify as atheists. Most seem ok with people having a religion but they will definitely insult the religion in other contexts even if you're in the room, which certainly feels awkward. I can't even count the number of times I've heard the words 'brainwashed Christians' from LGBT people in random conversations.

#15 Destin, Oct 20, 2018
  16. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Religion's been complicated for me, so I don't prescribe to any in particular. I was raised Christian in a fairly accepting church, but when I was a teenager it was pretty much forced on me. Had to go to church. Had to participate in youth group.

I believe in a higher power, I believe in an afterlife, I believe in a soul. I just don't follow the typical Christian beliefs in those regards.

Researching the mythologies of different cultures also helped broaden my scope. Many cultures were around for hundreds or thousands of years before Christianity and they're considered pagan and barbaric while Christianity is seen as true? Doesn't make much sense to me.

17. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Joe2001.....& @Destin I agree that a lot of the LGBTQ are anti-religion...and I don't really blame them. Far too many "loving" Christians have acted like horses behinds. Fortunately there are Christians who care more about "Love thy neighbor as thyself" instead of damning them to hell...which as I recall is not our job anyway! We can only hope that as time goes by people will come to see that we are no different than they are...we love who we love as everybody should be allowed.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#17 quebec, Oct 20, 2018
  18. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't blame them for disliking religion. It seems that way with most of my generation though, not just LGBT's, so I wonder if I will just look silly if I try to believe.

19. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say this really isn't my experience. I can't recall where Destin lives but in my experience gay people are slightly more likely to be atheists than the general population but only slightly. There is a fair amount of very unspecific faith and in my experience gay people are less likely to be intensely affiliated with a church. Joe, if you find something to believe in most gay people will respect that and if it gives you some sort of succor a lot of them will be a little envious...

20. Goldangel455

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was also raised catholic growing up and used to believe everything my religion taught me. Luckily I was never really exposed to the whole "gay is a sin" which in retrospect is kind of surprising. Now I feel myself being more distant from my religion as I feel like I would rather treat others with respect and be a good person because I want to. Honestly it feels backwards to me to be nice to others to appease a greater power. What I can say that most religions do pretty well is that they preach you to "treat others how you want to be treated" or some wording of that. This saying is how I go about my life as I don't want to purposely be nasty to someone else and always take the highroad. I'm still working on this as I am not perfect and will never be but I always do my best. I can see that it can be hard for you to let go of religion so I would ask yourself what you're really looking for in religion and how it can help you. Personally I didn't need a belief system and I just go about my life trying to be nice to others.