1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How LGBT friendly is Canada?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Warrior999, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was born and raised in Bangladesh, which is as conservative and religious a country as you can imagine. I am moving to Canada, for studying, though I will try to settle here (or some other western country), by doing PR.

So my question : How LGBT friendly is Canada? I am moving to Ottawa (Ontario), which is a very urban area. To those who stay there, or who know the area pretty well, can you tell me how liberal regarding lgbt issue is the country and ottawa as an area?

Thanks.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've lived in the same city in Canada my whole life, so I don't have much to compare it to. In general, the worst you'll experience is mildly rude comments. But Ottawa )and other large cities like Toronto and Vancouver) should be even more open minded than where I live.

I've heard bad things about Alberta (but haven't stayed there myself so just what I've heard). Typically the larger the city, the more liberal (Mine has less than 200 000 people and I've been fine). Canada was one of the first countries to legalize same-sex marriage, so obvious we can't be too homophobic here lol

#2 HM03, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's pretty different from city to city and province to province, but it's very LGBT friendly overall.

As for Ottawa, I study there, so I'm there pretty often, and it is pretty open. There's a rainbow crossing on Bank street, there's at least one gay bar/club (though I heard mixed comments about it. Still if that's your thing, you might want to try). There's some LGBT meetup groups, there's a gay pride in the summer etc. There are some events if you want to attend any.

Most people there don't care about your sexuality, but they won't look at you in disgust if you happen to talk about it.

4. Goldangel455

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have lived in Canada my entire life and I would say that it is a pretty LGBT friendly country. I lived most of my life in a small city of 80,000 people in northern BC and I didn't have many problem, even when I was out in high school. The only really big thing is that there wasn't really that many LGBT people in the city so it was hard to meet people. I recently moved to Victoria (the capital for BC) for school and it's even more accepting here than back home. I've met more LGBT people and I am definitely enjoying myself. I haven't had any problems regarding my sexuality here and I feel pretty safe. I can't really say much about ottawa as the last time I was there I was around 5 but I'm guessing it's pretty similar. It was mentioned before but the bigger the city the more LGBT friendly it will be and there will be more of a community. I hope you enjoy your time here.

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've lived in a small town in Alberta my whole life, and I have never seen or experienced any LGBT hatred or discrimination. I even know of a lesbian couple who lives in the area and I haven't heard of anyone doing anything rude or hateful towards them. I even went to school with 3 LGB people (that I know of), and I haven't heard of anyone discriminating against them. I don't know if southern Alberta is worse or not, but that's just my experience.

I do think Eastern Canada is a lot more progressive than Western Canada, but I've never been to Eastern Canada for long enough to really know.

I think Ottawa would be a generally safe place. Though, like anywhere you will get the odd racist or homophobe. If you find a nice area to live in, I think you'll feel pretty safe.

6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From what I understand the cities at least in Canada are very liberal. So you should be quite conformable there. I have considered living their myself.

7. Daniela2mg

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very friendly in my opinion

8. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have lived in three different provinces. I lived in Wetaskiwin, Alberta which was a small town but fairly open to LGBTQ people although there weren't many openly gay people there. I lived in London, Ontario a larger city that is very diverse and open to everything. And I have lived in Truro, Nova Scotia another small town but surprisingly very supportive of the LGBTQ community.

Everywhere I have been in Canada has been supportive of LGBTQ people, I mean of course nowhere is perfect you will always have that one idiot. But in general I would say Canada is very accepting of everyone. The larger cities like Ottawa and Vancouver are from what I have heard, very welcoming to the LGBTQ community.

9. Warrior999

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone. I'll come by mid December. Looking forward to my new life.