1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OtherMe, Oct 12, 2018.

1. OtherMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, 5 or 6 years after joing this forum my coming out was abit of a weird one.
    My best friend has essentially known for a long time as weve always had a close relationship, I’ve spoken about this in my previous posts such as how we joked about how ‘gay’ we were and had previously told each other that we loved each other ect. Our friendship has had lots of highs and lows as he’s constantly confused me about how ‘close’ we are, from my parents asking if I was gay and if he was my boyfriend (which I hated as I don’t wish for my parents to know my sexuality or think of me as anything other than straight, and also because we weren’t lol) to the point where I felt like I barely knew him. He has since had a girlfriend for around a year and Ive genuinely never been happier for him and it’s allowed me to take our relationship as solely a very close friendship instead of the confusion I constantly had before.
    ANYWAY... On my 18th birthday at a party, I approached a different friend and drunkenly told him that I’m bisexual as I’m aware that he recently came out as gay. Anyway after telling him, I immediately went over to my best mate and told him that I’d come out to someone, he hugged me and cried for so long as I guess he knows how big of a step that is to actually say it explicitly as opposed to as jokes and hints. We spent the next hour speaking about it and how long I’d wanted to say it for and how much better I felt because of it. It’s made our friendship stronger I’m certain and I now feel like I can be completely open with him. At the end of this summer I also told my other friend, this was the most difficult as, like I think most people who know me, she didn’t suspect it, again after telling her I went to my mate and said that I’d told another person and he was really happy for me.
    It’s just those 2/3 people really who I’ve told and I’m not planning on telling others anytime soon. Other than with my best mate, I’ve asked those I’ve told not to really ask me much about it as I still don’t really accept it but it is what it is. Anyway I would absolutely recommend telling someone you trust as I do genuinely feel like a huge burden has gone from me. It may take a long time like me before you feel okay to tell someone but it’s worht the wait.
    My only issue now is how to meet others like myself, this is obviously difficult as I’m still mainly closeted and don’t intend on really coming out to many people.
    Thanks for reading and thanks to all that have helped me in the past :slight_smile:
    - OtherMe

2. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good for you! You should be so proud. I know we don't know each other well but I'm proud of you.

3. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My story is somewhat similar to yours. I used to joke about my sexuality with my friend (girl) and It made her totally confused. On Thursday, I finally came out to her. I was ready to come out to her. It feels like a huge burden has gone from me. I haven't told anyone else nor do i plan to come out to anyone else soon because I don't want many people to know about it now and I don't really trust anyone else for now.
    I've been also trying to find other people like me. And, I just realized that it's very difficult than I'd thought it to be.

4. OtherMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks guys :slight_smile:

5. InStandbi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status: