1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spinoff of the Wedding Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Love4Ever, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So If you want to get married, who would like to propose and how would you choose who would do it? Would you both wear engagement rings? Just one of you? What about wedding bands? If I ever got married I think I would like to propose, man or woman. I always liked the idea of gender reversals even when I thought I was straight. I also always thought it was unfair that a man is often not given an engagement ring. It seems silly in this day in age that a man only gets a wedding band while a woman gets both. I always thought a ring with diamonds in a more masculine style perhaps would be nice. Or a gift of equal value, like a really nice watch, or other piece of nice jewelry would be appropriate. I always felt bad about the idea of essentially receiving an engagement gift from a man, that is often so expensive, and giving nothing to him in return.

2. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most people want to get married at least once in their lives . I would need to divorce my ex wife first LOL.....
    I had the big traditional wedding though I didn't want that.....
    I like the idea of marrying a man one day. No engagement rings but would like wedding rings for us both. I would like as little fuss as possible, keeping it small and intimate.....even though I'm gay I'm quite masculin and would want us to both wear very smart suits....god I'm starting to day dream now which isn't me at all... .good topic....oh and my ex wife recently said she wants an invite!!!

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had been together so long and had so long to discuss it (while it wasn't really legal yet) that there really wasn't a proposal per se, we just kind of looked at each other one day and agreed that we should probably get married now. We didn't do engagement rings. We wear matching wedding bands. There had always been a sort of running joke in our family about how when I was little I thought my Mother's wedding ring was silver and how incensed she would get: it's not silver, it's white gold!--so I knew I wanted them to be white gold. We shopped for them together. They're identical except for the inscription on the inside--mine says "evermore" and his says "always". It's a reference to a quote from the song I Will Never Leave You: "evermore and always we'll be one though we're two".

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow that is so lovely. What a beautiful inscription.

5. Loves books

Hopefully in the future I will find a woman I want to marry. I don't care who proposes as long as someone does. I don't think engagement rings are necessary but I would like a wedding band of platinum instead of gold. I'd want a small wedding ceromony but maybe a big party the next day.

6. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always disliked the concept of engagement rings so wouldn't do that if given the choice. It's pretty much a bribe and buying your partners acceptance of the marriage proposal. The history of it was that women were considered unlikely to find another husband if the engagement was broken, and couldn't survive financially on their own, so the ring was money for them to live off of if their engagement was broken. I don't really want to give someone a 'here's some money you can use after I leave you' present for the engagement.

I do like wedding bands though. I'd probably want to be the one to propose just because I would be the one deciding when instead of being caught off guard by it when I might not be ready.

7. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only joking but I will tell my ex wife to sell her engagnent ring fast lol, it cost me £300 and that was nearly 20 years ago, she was told the stones are rare so she's onto a winner.....
    I had my former wedding ring made smaller and i wear it on my little finger.....

8. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I personally am a very simple person, and I prefer things to be as simple as possible. I probably won't ever marry, for obvious reasons, but in a perfect world, I wouldn't want any engagement rings, but I would fancy a nice proposal. No wedding party would be necessary either, unless the other person wanted it, don't get me wrong I'm very much a hopeless romantic, but I never really believed in big fancy weddings. I believe in the marriage more than the wedding.I would prefer to just get married in city hall, with close family and friends (not that mine will wanna come, lol) and a small party afterwards.

9. smurf

I don't know how people propose out of nowhere. That is just so rude haha

We spoke about it and pretty much agreed that we would love to marry each other. It was a string of conversations for probably a month or so. At the end he said "okay, but I still want a proposal. So you have to propose at some point before we get married" I chuckle a little because I technically proposed, but he told me to propose soo which one is the "real" proposal? haha

Yep, I bought cheap $20 sterling silver rings for us. Mainly because I love physical reminders of things I have done, so I REALLY wanted something that can be that for me, but we were young so $20 dollar rings it was haha

For our wedding we got white gold bands. Very simple and cheap like $500 each. He really wants diamonds so I'm saving up right now to get him his dream ring for our 10 year anniversary

10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is so nice. I think it's great you wore engagement rings too.

#10 Love4Ever, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder what an engagement ring for a man looks like. Like a wedding ring? I mean, a plain one?

12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, me too.

13. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps when I've divorced my ex wife one of the guys here will marry me lol......I'm warming to the idea of marrying if the right guy came along.....but at 43 next weekend time is running out......

14. smurf

Depends on what you want and the money that you have.

There are no rules, so you can literally go into a jeweler and get them to make you exactly what you want with whatever stone you can afford.

For us, because we are cheap, it was a very plain band

15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright. Thanks. Having whatever ring you want and can afford sounds cool.

16. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would probably be the one to propose, wether it be to a man or woman, doesnt really matter to me. I am not huge into diamonds or jewlery, keep it plain and simple, a nice gold band or something. If my girl wanted a diamond ring I'd get her one.

17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have seen some very fancy ones that are gold or silver bands where tiny diamonds are studded around the exterior. If you google men's engagement rings there are several of this variety.

18. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would too. I just like the idea of proposing. I mean I guess it would be fun to be proposed to as well. Even if it's a man I don't know I just would like to. I remember I got some serious flack once for mentioning that to my very religious friend and her sister. More from the sister. She thought it was basically sacrilegious and emasculating! But they have extremely antiquated notions on gender equality.

#18 Love4Ever, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
  20. CosmicWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ooh that is pretty. If i was gonna get a ring with diamonds I'd want something like that.