Should I come out or not?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AdityaD, Oct 11, 2018.

1. AdityaD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey!!
    I'm actually ready to come out to a very close friend of mine but at the same time I don't wanna come out to her. Actually, I don't really like the idea of "coming out", like I don't understand why doesn't straight ppl have to come out and I don't really wanna do the whole coming out thing. But, I've been dropping hints to her about my sexuality but Everytime I'd drop hint, it'd be followed by me saying something about girls (I'm gay) and with all this I've made her super confused about my sexuality and she is too confused to even ask me directly and I know I did a mistake by dropping hints the wrong way(those hints should've never been followed by me saying something about girls) but now I just wanna tell her straightforward but at the same time I think that by telling her directly would be equivalent of coming out. And now, I'm super confused! Should I just tell her directly? And also, I'm planning to talk about my feelings for a guy and in this way it won't be very specific.

2. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Aditya,
    you don't have to come out if you don't want to. In my opinien, it's much more about if you would feel more comfortable if you had someone to talk to about your feelings. Having someone to share your feelings and worries with can be very relieving. If you think your friend will be supportive and you feel like you would like to tell her - go for it.

3. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AdityaD.....One of the best ways to handle a coming out that may not go well or that you just don't know how to do it is to write a letter. Writing a letter lets you be sure that you are saying things in the right way. It's lets you collect and organize your thoughts without the pressure and nervousness of a face-to-face confrontation. It also lets the recipient of the letter have some time to collect their thoughts instead of the emotional outburst that happens too often. You don't have to be present when the letter is read...and that can be a very big plus! Think about it, it may be something that will work for you. There are some sample coming out letters here on empty closets. To find them:

Go to the Login page, but do not login. At the top you will see some links. Click on "Resources". That will bring up a page with a box on the upper left. In that box you will see a link to "Coming out letters". Click that and you are there! I wish you much good luck...you can and will make it!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: