1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for coming out as trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SelflessSellout, Oct 7, 2018.

1. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've made a few posts about this by now but this Thursday's the big day. I feel like I should say sorry for not telling him any sooner. I can't help but feel guilty for keeping secrets from him. I've only come out to my counselor and other trans people so coming out to a cis friend is gonna be a first for me. I always panic when I'm in a situation where I feel vulnerable.

What I'm guessing is that he's going to be pretty shocked and ask a lot of questions. It may be awkward for a few days, if not longer (how do you go back to a normal conversation when that kind of weight is put on you?) I can't let him say anything to his friends because they can get in touch with my brother. I feel bad that I have to put that burden of keeping it a secret on him. I don't wanna keep lying to him but I don't wanna put stress on him.

Any tips and stuff about coming out to friends (ideally over text) would be great!

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Selflesssellout.....Well, there's not much time between now and Thursday, so anything you do has got to be pretty quick. One thing I'd suggest is to write down what you want to say. That way you can edit it to be sure that you say all the important things and leave out what isn't necessary. Also...think about the questions that he may ask and write down answers to those to. You'll feel a lot more prepared if you take some time to think through the coming out with him. Writing things down always seems to help me organize what I'm going to say...and especially what I shouldn't say! So hope this goes well for you. Remember, you are part of our LGBTQ Family and we do care! Keep us updated on how this all works out.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much it really helped! I was panicking a lot but he seemed pretty calm about it. I'm really relieved :grin: