1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallmark movies with gay couples?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Love4Ever, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I'll admit, even though I love to hate them I sometimes end up watching Hallmark movies. Particularly around the holidays. They're very much a guilty pleasure and the amount of stereotypes honestly infuriates me. But sometimes if I just want something light, I watch part of one. And every time I do I realize, there is no equivalent of these movies for gay people. Shouldn't people who aren't straight be able to watch a stupid lower budget rom com on tv that reflects their lives? I know Hallmark is a conservative network with Christian ties but it still makes me sad that there isn't much out there for gay people on other networks either.

2. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I'm ashamed to say that I like Hallmark movies too, but I honestly like the idea of a gay themed Hallmark movie. It would definitely have a different tone than most gay themed movies.

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I think it's cool you like them. Most guys seems to make fun of (mostly) girls for watching them. I would definitely like a gay hallmark movie.

4. smurf

100% yes.

Sadly, its the curse of not having enough media representation. When you have very few LGBT movies, people feel forced to create content that is meaningful in "moving the needle" in "educating straight people about us" in "addressing every single issue about it"

And all of that is a very real concern. But when all your media is addressing all of these real concerns, then fun stuff for the sake of being fun get put in the back burner. No one's fault truly.

That being said, the internet has made it possible for small creators to publish their own work!

A funny one that I just saw is the Gay and Wondrous Life of Caleb Gallo:

Its campy, creative, and so damn funny. It fun for the sake of being fun. Not quite hallmark, but just an example!