1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever stutter or lisp?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes do. For stuttering, I usually do it more when I'm nervous. As for the lisp, if I speak too quickly then it starts to show. To give you an example...

Normal pace, watching my words: "It is possible for me to speak correctly".

When I get into what I'm saying and fasten my speech: "It is poshible for me to spleak correctly".

"P" and "S" sounds typically trip me up when speaking quickly.

There are certain words that I tend to slow down my speech for (or avoid and choose to use another word instead) and carefully sound out, in order to avoid particular errors. However, if I'm getting into the swing of a conversation then I tend to forget to watch my words and start to lisp more. Sometimes people tease me for this, but only in a jestful manner.

I'm not as bad as I was before I went through speech therapy, but every so often my lisp and my stuttering show themselves.

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was pretty much unable to pronounce R's when I was little and always used a W sound instead. Like 'rose' would be 'wose'. Luckily speech therapy was able to completely fix that and it's never come back at all.

I don't stutter exactly when I talk fast, but I end up repeating things to fill the silence while my mind catches up to my speech. Like I might say 'the building is really tall' and then a sentence or two later say something else about the building being tall because I ran out of things to say and don't want to make an awkward silence.

I've been told the faster I speak the more noticeable my Midwestern accent becomes too, but I really don't hear it at all.

3. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stutter quite often, especially when I'm flustered or nervous. So, if I'm in a public place with a crowd and I'm trying to talk to someone, I'll be nervous because of the crowd. Then, I'll start to stutter. And, because I'm worried that I'm sounding like an idiot, I start to get flustered. But, that only makes the stammering worse. So, I repeat that cycle until I'm a complete mess. XD

4. Loves books

I stutter sometimes despite the fact I'm 26 and I have been stuttering since I was a child. I don't know what causes it and sometimes I have to substitute words just to say something. I don't do it a lot. The most annoying sentence in the world has become 'concentrate on your words' I can concentrate all I want and the words won't come out. My mother didn't realise I had a stutter until I was 20 and my brother, who is a year younger than me and used to stutter as a child, mentioned it to her.

5. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sometimes stutter when I’m excited and talking fast. I’ve always talked really fast but I don’t remember myself stuttering when I was younger, like it just started happening in my early 20s? Maybe I just didn’t notice it when I was younger, I’m not sure.

6. Naters2000

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stutter quite frequently. Whenever I'm very anxious, I can't speak correctly.

7. illbehere

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to have a lisp. I also stutter occasionally.

8. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find myself stuttering quite alot when trying to have a normal conversation, being very excited or trying to explain something to someone

#8 sonic1337111, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  9. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I stutter because of my social anxiety, it's more that I hesitate and then lose confidence midway through a sentence. And I lisp sometimes, more with certain words because I have ankyloglossia and my tongue is weird lol.

10. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been stuttering for my whole life, I also have bad pronunciation and I tend to confuse words a lot, regardless the language. it's so obvious and visible that people around just got used to it.

11. LittleLamb

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I was little I had lisp, actually, in kindergarten a few students including myself when to therapy and I showed progress so I didn't have to continue the sessions.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have a lisp and talk in an unusual way when I was younger. My sister convinced me that that was what a Boston accent was, and that i had actually been adopted from Boston by my parents. :grin: I believed her untiI was six or seven.

13. Rade

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi yeah, I have so much I want to say or it's something important and then I stutter but I don't let it bother me.....

14. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never stutter. Sometimes, when I'm ready aloud, I have trouble with words that have too many syllables, especially if I don't really say them normally or they're in a different language. Other than that, I don't really have a problem with speaking.

15. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to have such a terrible speech impediment so despite having speech therapy I still feel like i can't pronounce most stuff

16. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Only when I'm angry. I'll find myself stumbling over my words. Unfortunately, I'm angry about half the time, so...

17. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I stutter when i'm talking really quickly and then just spout out random things in an effort to try and stop sttuttering

18. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to stutter and mumble a lot due to social anxiety but as the latter has gotten better I don't find myself doing it anymore

19. LaneyM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a speech therapist in training so I always find these conversations interesting. When I'm nervous I can definitely mess my words up. I feel like my s's sound funny if I'm overly aware of how I'm speaking, and especially when followed by "ts" at the end of words ("wrists, coasts," etc). I also mess up my ch's and sh's on occasion (what you would call a lateral lisp because the air is leaking out the sides of the tongue instead of flowing forward). In my experience, anxiety can throw a wrench in everything about communicating, from making my mind go blank to getting actual words out, so I'm not surprised when I'm occasionally a less than perfect speaker and don't see it as a sign of a problem.

True stuttering is different and distinct from simply making production errors on sounds (like saying "sh" instead of "s"). It's generally present from childhood and is more than just the occasional repetition (a lot of physical tension in the face and throat, for example, sometimes preventing sound from coming out at all).

20. Shadows123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I stutter quite a bit, especially when I am feeling an emotional extreme (excited, furious, upset, etc....). I just try to play it off when it happens; laughter is how I have come to cope with various situations.