1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven crowder.....thoughts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dollop, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Recently I saw a video on YouTube by Steven crowder. His video was a debate about is there more than 2 genders. Quite an old video now about a year old.

Wondering what is peoples thoughts about this? Considering this is a lgbt fourm should be interesting so see. Especially people who identify as something other than there birth gender.

Let's keep this clean as well as its quite an emotional topic for those involed. As shown in the video the debate did turn sour at times.

2. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

In my opinion there seems to be a ready-made (but evolving) set of biological sex affiliated mores that a society assigns to the biological sex of an individual. The thing about biological sex is that it's pretty much set in stone as far as the individual is concerned. However by set in stone I don't mean XX and XY because the way in which biological sex presents itself is not dogmatic but chaotic like all things in nature. The human animal arises from chaos. We are not an unwavering set of pairs based on an unchanging set of templates.

#2 fadedstar, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  3. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

What's that?

4. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

Performative socially mandated behaviors or "genders" are tacked onto biological sex not the other way around. Biology doesn't care about people's notions of what the human animal ought to be. Whether you believe there are a million genders or just two, in both cases what you have at the end of the day are just beliefs. Each of us is shoved into one box or another since birth (or if we're lucky we find our own niche in the system we are all born into.)

#4 fadedstar, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  5. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    birth gender wow that was poorly worded on my part.

I am fairly new to this topic, so after watching the video steven points out how people have been fined for mislabling people, assuming their genders. He seemed to home in on this a lot.

Is this a thing? i have never heard of someone being punished by law for mislabling someones gender.

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dollop.....I've also watched a number of videos on this topic. To me it seems relatively clear (please be patient with me here!). The sexual organs that you are born with dictate your biological sex...with an exception in the case of intersex individuals and others who might have indistinct physiology . What you perceive your sex to be in your mind...your view of where you fit on the spectrum from male to female is your gender. I am serious about it being a spectrum, not an either/or male or female. Some of us know from very early on how we perceive our gender. For others it may take time. Some may travel along that spectrum during their entire life. The point here is that only the individual can perceive and understand their gender. No one else can look into their mind and feel what they feel...we can only know what we ourselves feel. I don't care that some people define gender as equal to biological sex. If an individual considers their view of themselves in their mind as their gender, then that's their gender and no one has the right to tell them they are wrong. They might find that, over time how they perceive themselves has changed...but again that is their decision.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

7. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

I think you have good intentions but biology just isn't that black and white.

8. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    fadedstar.....My concern here isn't with the definition of biological sex. For the most part that is reasonably straight forward...with some exceptions as I said. The issue that is being debated to death right now (and has been for sometime) is gender. To me (my opinion only) my gender is how I perceive myself. I have seen some posts where a person has said that their gender is who they are in their head. I am biologically male. I mentally perceive myself to be male. So for me, the two line up. I don't think that is the case for everyone. When they don't match, I would think (again, my opinion only) that we have a case of a transgendered person. There are a lot of people...generally straight individuals...often with a far-right outlook and often with a conservative religious background, who insist that gender and biological sex are always the same. My main point of disagreement here is that no one has the knowledge or the right to tell me how I personally perceive myself. They do not and can not know, feel or understand how I mentally and emotionally view myself. I refuse to allow society or religion to tell me who I am any more. I let that happen for many years and it nearly destroyed me. In my case it wasn't biological sex or gender, it was orientation...which is also something that is based on my perception of myself. As in the case of gender, no one has the right to tell me whether I should be attracted to men or women, or for that matter, to both or neither. I no longer will accept anyone trying to tell me who I should be based on what they believe. Sorry if this sounds like I'm angry...I'm really not. This is just something about which I feel very strongly. Hope I haven't sounded like I'm mad at anyone! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

9. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think this is how I feel towards the topic largely. The problem is its seems quite a new topic to the 'mainstream' therefore the controversy.

I feel personally people can flux between and in between genders but IMO it is there are male and female. I am open to the idea how ever, just from my personal life experiences i still find it a little hard to grasp. But if someone was to say they are nether and wish to be known as they then so not use them pronouns is very disrespectful. As u say others can't tap in to anothers way of feeling and thinking