1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procrastination

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mia Mize, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Mia Mize

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What are the things you put off thee most and what are some ways to stop procrastinating?
    10:30 and Im just now starting my essay

2. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was in school I always put off my homework (and especially big projects) until the last minute. There were times I outright forgot about them and did my homework while in the another class right before it was due.
    Nowadays, one thing I put off is getting gas for my car. And while, I've never run out of gas as a result of putting it off, so many times the price goes up if I put it off.

3. Niagara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Going to class. I very rarely get to a class more than a minute or two before it starts, and considering I walk to school that’s not a great idea with no room for error at all. There’s just something about wasting time sitting there that irks me so I stay home as long as possible. I’ve submitted assignments online within minutes of them being due way too many times too.

I’ve been trying to make myself do all assignments a day early to fix it.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Set a time for your study sessions and do it, every day.

For instance, in my case, I usually go boxing during the morning, and then go get some lunch at 11AM. Back home i chill until 1PM, and at this time i start working in my research. I'm using the Pomodoro method (adapted to my own rhythm - 30 minute sessions with 10 minute breaks. It's not set in stone, but i usually stick to something near these periods of time, otherwise it would be for nothing).

One of the most important advices i can give you about procrastination: Don't wait for motivation. If you say something like "Mmm, i'm not really feeling like studying right now, even if i set this time...i can do it later, it won't change anything!"... it will. You are procrastinating.

If you decided to start studying at 1PM, then you will start at 1PM, and focus only on that during the time period you planned for your essay. No "oh, i just received an important message!", no "man, this is boring, i'll take a break even though there are 10 more minutes in my planned time". You will start it, and that's it. Even though you aren't motivated, you will do it. Even though you are feeling so bored and lazy that you feel you are working with just a small fraction of what you could do, you will do it.

That's what is working for me for some time now. Don't wait for motivation - if you do that, it won't come most of the time.

5. Loves books

Procrastination is something I am really good at.I do it a lot. I find something else more important to do and leave things to the last minute. I had an essay due for college and it was stressing me out so I kept procrastinating and then worked myself in to a panic because it was due soon. I just didn't do it in the end. I keep procrastinating on cleaning my room because it's easier to find things if they are all on the floor, I only cleaned my room in college accomadation because they did a room check every month and would fine you if it was messy.

6. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I tend to procrastinate on things I feel stuck on. Checking smaller and easier things off the list first helps.

If you have just one big assignment, break it into smaller steps so you'd be less overwhelmed.