1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with dealing with gender dysphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by i7025, Sep 23, 2018.

1. i7025

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i am trans ftm closeted and i have dysphoria with mostly my face and chest. Does anyone know of good ways to deal with this it is geting so bad that i dont want to look at myself and in mirror anymore

2. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must preface this by saying that these are things that work for me and there's nothing wrong if zero of these make you feel better.

1) Glasses, hats, and haircuts. Basically, wear things that obstruct your face a little. Glasses and hats make it harder to perceive your face shape, allowing some wiggle room for immediately misgendering you. As far as haircuts go, if possible tell whoever cuts your hair that you want your hair to be cut in a masculine way. I didn't think the style of my sideburns would matter but they do. It helps a lot.
    2) Safe binding. If you can, get a real binder. One from a reputable company. They tend to be in the neighborhood of 30-50 USD. But I understand if that is too expensive so here are some safe alternatives. Use either a binder, method one, or method two. DO NOT use ay combination of the three please it will be dangerous.
    1. Double sports bra. This method is exactly what it sounds like. If you put the first one on backwards it will flatten better. Do not wear more than three sports bras at a time. Please.
    2. TransTape, KT tape, Nexcare tape, etc. If it's branded as skin safe medical tape it will probably work. This method WILL NOT get you as flat as you want it to. This is for health reasons. DO NOT try to make your chest as flat as it would be in a binder. I stress that if you are going to go this route to use tape, not bandages because tape is not designed to get tighter. Tape sticks and stays. There are YouTube tutorials on how to tape safely. Please watch at least one before attempting.
    3) Layers layers layers my dude. It's fall now so it's prime layering season. Layering tends to distract from the curvature of the chest. I haven't gotten this art down, but I'm sure you'll find what makes you feel good.
    4) If you feel so inclined, there are contour videos on how to make your face more masculine.

i7025 likes this.