1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with Hypnosis Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by OnTheHighway, Sep 15, 2018.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my continued work to understand the decisions I have made in life, prior relationships that I have had, and my ongoing journey towards self actualization there have been a few recurring emotional themes that have continued to plague me as an adult which were established from my childhood.

The specific themes I have reflected on over the years here on EC (emotional impact from dysfunctional family, childhood sexual coercion, etc etc). And while I have made great conscious progress in addressing the impact these events have had in my life, it seems my subconscious has yet to catch up. And there are times when my subconscious emotions rise up to my consciousness.

My therapist has now suggested I participate in Hypnosis Therapy to help better link my concious thoughts my subconscious emotions. As it has been explained to me, its nothing like how hypnosis has been reflected in the media, but instead puts the person being hypnotized is a transient type state similar to that of a day dream.

Coincidentally, many of my epiphanies both personally and professionally have occurred during periods of meditation and/or day dreaming, so the concept does seem to have merit from my perspective.

I am curious if anyone has been through hypnosis therapy, and if so, if any experiences could be shared to help me manage my expectations for this type of treatment.

amiready likes this.
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clinical hypnosis can be useful, but perhaps even more so than therapy in general, it is all about the skill and experience of the therapist administering it. Milton Erickson MD, the father of modern clinical hypnosis, was an absolute artist and genius in the way he used language to access the unconscious mind.

I'm biased (I'm trained in Ericksoninan hypnosis), but I've found it to be useful for a number of things, typically blocks where an intellectual mind gets in the way of accessing feelings. Non-Ericksonian clinical hypnosis (sometimes called "classical hypnosis") is, to my experience, less effective, especially with more intellectual types. And there's another commonly used practice, NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) that attempts to take some of the tenets of Ericksonian work and reduce it down into an almost mechanical process. Some people swear by it, but I personally (having training in that as well) have never found it to be either effective or terribly useful. It can, however, be done by someone with a lot less skill and practice than Ericksonian work, which is why you see it.

And for those reading the thread, please don't even consider going to someone who is offering hypnosis but does not have other counseling or psychology background. There are a ton of places out there that will certify people in hypnosis, but without the rest of the background, it can be unhelpful at best and dangerous at worst.

Depending on the specific issues you're dealing with, you might find EMDR or Brainspotting (both somewhat similar techniques) to be more effective, if the goal is to address emotional material arising from traumatic events. EMDR has been in use for 20+ years at the VA, and is quite well studied and validated. Brainspotting is newer, but also seems to have equal promise, and draws on some of the same theoretical underpinnings.

As far as the actual session... it isn't anything like the 'stage hypnosis' crap that you see. That generally isn't hypnosis at all. There are many different styles out there. I think there may be some videos of Milton Erickson doing sessions on Youtube. You won't likely run into anyone as brilliant as he is doing the work currently, but it might give you an idea.

#2 Chip, Sep 15, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something I've always wondered about hypnosis - why doesn't it work on the therapist and everyone else watching it also?

If the idea is to get into the unconscious mind, then shouldn't the person doing the hypnosis accidentally be getting into their own mind at the same time as the patient since they're hearing and seeing the same things, effectively hypnotizing themselves? Same thing would apply to videos - why doesn't watching a video of someone being hypnotized cause the viewer to also get hypnotized?

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a better way of saying what I was attempting to say in my initial thread. I am not sure the basis for his hypnosis training. But I will ask when I see him again. What I do know since starting to see him when I settled here is that he seems very proficient and I am very comfortable with him. There is very good chemistry between us. And while I knew he had hypnosis training, it has been only after quite a number of sessions with him, such that he now understands what issues need to be addressed and has seen where I have made progress where some of the holes remain, has he only now recommend we take this approach.

Also, he comes highly recommended by other professionals as well as some other of his patients that I know. But, again, I will ask as you have articulated.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're talking about stage show hypnosis, it's mostly because it's bogus... it works mostly off of power of suggestion, the desire to fit in, and the participant's willingness to be suggestible. The stage hypnotist always does a couple of warm-ups before whatever their big event is, and quickly gets rid of the ones who don't respond, while simultanously spouting nonsense like "Only highly intelligent people can be hypnotized" (which is BS. Anyone can be, with a properly trained therapist.)

If you're talking about clinical hypnosis, done correctly, the therapist is carefully watching very subtle responses from the client and adjusting what's being said to what the client is experiencing as evidenced by his or her breathing, heart rate, muscle tenseness/relaxation, etc. So while it is possible for someone who wishes to do so to experience a similar effect from watching, they'd have to basically set that intention in their own mind.

And the therapist (again, if it's a good one) is being very analytical and keeping close track of what's going on, so the effect isn't the same.

Now... if you are talking about mindfulness or guided imagery meditations where the therapist is guiding that, then yes, usually the therapist also gets some benefit of the relaxation that occurs. But that's a very different sort of work than hypnosis.

Destin likes this.
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By way of an updated, I completed my first hypnosis session. To say it was emotional, difficult, challanging, hard work yet liberating and rewarding can not be stressed enough. While I have done a good job reflecting, rationalizing and being an observer of my own journey: for the first time, I connected emotionally with the underlying causes of my own shame. I can not recall a time on my journey where I experienced such intense sadness, anger, shame, and anxiety by tapping into my child self; while also starting to really heal the wounds that were caused by the underlying events causing the shame.

I walked side by side with my childhood self. And while my adult self has worked to build confidence, self esteem, self worth, and a love for myself (recognizing I am the only person that can make myself happy), I also realized I needed to build self respect too - something I had not previously realized. My childhood self definitely left self respect, amongst all the others, behind when the shame started in my very early years. And while I have been able to rationalize all of these characteristics to my adult self, I indeed needed to finally introduce them to my childhood self to let the true underlying healing settle in.

I can not remember ever crying as much as I did, expressing anger as strong as I did, nor anxiety as intense as it was during the session. I am also surprised at how vivid events a a child came back to me as my therapist was leading the session. Yet, I also feel I am finally unlocking the door where my childhood self can now move forward, in the same manner that my adult self has - and we are doing it together.

This was truly amazing. My therapist was a great guide walking me back to get reacquainted with my childhood self and then bringing us forward together. And while amazing, my therapist and I agreed there is still much work to do, and we will take our time doing the hard work. I am not sure when the next hypnosis session will be. I definitely gave my therapist plenty of shame driving events that we need to work through. And I am not sure I can handle another intense session like that so quickly. So we will go back to some regular sessions and then take it from there.

#6 OnTheHighway, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. It sounds like you've found a really gifted therapist. Hypnosis is an incredibly powerful tool in the right hands, but not that many therapists really understand how to engage and use it effectively. What you're describing is pretty close to an ideal outcome.

The hardest part for me was and is having the patience to work through the stuff that takes time, and also the self-compassion piece. If you aren't already familiar with it, I highly recommend Kristin Neff's book "Self Compassion". Her work is really foundational to the self-respect piece that is so crucial.

OnTheHighway likes this.
  8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always considered self respect being embedded in self worth, self esteem, confidence and loving myself. But it’s an area I do need to focus on individually.

I am unquestionably going to continue the process. After this session, we have lots to work with. And even then there is so much more that needs to be addressed. We just worked on the tip of the iceberg.

Todat I am still feeling a bit raw and contemplative from the experience. And no doubt it will take time to work through it all.

9. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry if this a crude question but could hypnosis help with:
    a. ridding myself of shame
    b. understanding and accepting my sexuality?

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes and yes, as it will help you get to the core issues and feelings that underlie the shame that's interfering with accepting yourself. That said, you want hypnosis from a licensed psychotherapist, not from a person advertising him or herself as a hypnotherapist without a psychtherapy or mental health degree and licensure. Also, hypnosis isn't the only option, and it isn't a cure-all. More important is a strong, trusting bond with your therapist.

amiready likes this.
  11. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you.
    Are there any self techniques ? I know this can be a stealth way of staying in the closet, but well, i have to start somewhere :slight_smile:
    I am trying the mirror 'i am gay' thing and it helps, and writing a coming out letter to myself.

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are both good steps. It isn't exactly hypnosis, but you could simply start saying affirmations... "I love and accept myself as a gay man". This sounds hokey, but actually has an impact over time in rewriting the unconscious message that is playing.

amiready likes this.
  13. out2019

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doesn't sound hokey at all when I try it, even something as simple as 'I am attracted to men it's ok' helps me

#13 out2019, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018