1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First gay date, feeling more confused than ever now

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Leah061, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Leah061

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just got back from my first date with a girl. It wasn't a bad date, she was nice, but honestly I was really not feeling it. I'm not sure if she felt the same way, but I just don't think I could pursue anything else with her. I mean if I can be honest it was kind of a boring date.

The logical side of me knows that just because things weren't great with this one girl doesn't suddenly mean I'm not into girls. But it really feels that way right now. I've worked so hard to get to a point where I can accept my attraction to women and not feel like I'm faking it, and now it feels like I might as well just go back to calling myself straight.

If I'm completely honest with myself, I also know that I'm still kind of hung up on this girl I've liked for a long time. One of the reasons I went on this date was to try to distract myself from the way I feel about this other girl. I kept thinking about her while the girl I was on a date with was talking.

It seems like now that I'm letting myself be as gay as I want to be now, I should be able to date women and be happy, but it seems like that's not ever going to happen. I always imagined my first date with a woman as something that would finally give me real evidence that I'm gay and then I wouldn't have to keep doubting myself. But now I feel really lost.

2. notaprincess06

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First of all, I'm sorry the date wasn't how you hoped it would be, that's always a bummer no matter what!

Secondly, I don't think that it says anything about your sexuality and deep down you probably know it too. The more likely "culprits" here seem to be just not having the right chemistry with that particular person(which I understand is common) and also you not being emotionally open and available because of things keeping you back(like those past feelings you mentioned) and some insecurity, fear, anxiety about starting to date women and letting yourself be vulnerable with people who might actually end up mattering to you.

I have some abandonment issues, fear of loss(from my childhood and teenage years, mostly related to my father, who wasn't around much and then he died one year after my grandfather - who was closer to me even - died) and have felt(rightfully so I'm afraid) deserted or used by friends in the past, with very few(if any) significant positive experiences to counter the bad ones. These things have become a part of me and even though therapy has made me better about opening up and stuff, it's just naturally difficult for me to be truly vulnerable, to open myself emotionally(in a way I cannot control or even realise I am doing). The point is that this is partly why I rarely feel interested in someone and even though love and intimacy are things I have lacked all my life and really need and want, it's difficult opening up enough to actually feel something and connect once the opportunity is right there. Ofc, as a small disclaimer, I'm not an expert, no one's ever wanted to date me but I noticed this when trying speed dating for quite some time and when looking at online dating options and even when meeting people in general.

So what i meant to showcase is that, without you being aware, the problem might not be your sexuality at all but rather other things and just ...finding that person boring.

Limiteded and Love4Ever like this.
  3. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve met I think 5 or 6 now and one I met 4 times and still didn’t feel a great deal. I too was expecting to find answers and to get confirmation so to speak. Maybe I just didn’t click with any of them enough or I think for me, I need a lot more time to get to know someone and let them in, so am focusing more on friends at the moment and just getting out there and meeting people. I do also struggle to be vulnerable and let people in.

notaprincess06 likes this.
  4. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you imagine your experience was that of a straight girl with a guy, how she'd be describing it is: "I went on a date with this guy. It was OK - he was a nice guy - but it was kind of boring and there was no real spark. Plus I'm not sure if I gave him a fair chance because I'm still not really over this other guy I like". She'd probably be feeling a bit down that it hadn't been a great date and now she was going to have to keep on putting the effort in to try and meet people.

What point am I making?
    1) Bad dates are common and are no reason to question your sexuality - the straight girl in my example certainly wouldn't be!
    2) It's perfectly fine and normal to feel down afterwards. You'd just put yourself out to spend time with someone and feel like you're back to square one. Be kind to yourself and just get out there and try again when you're ready.

Love4Ever likes this.
  5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agree with the other replies above. My first date with a woman definitely wasn't the best. It wasn't the worst either but the girl and I didn't click romantically and even though it may have been disappointing at the time it never made me question my sexuality and validity as a queer woman and shouldn't make you question yours either.

I have been on dates with dozens of women since and may click with only 2% of them romantically. If we were into every girl crossing our pathl lifewould be pretty boring to be fair.

I actually enjoy going on dates with women I don't see romantically now are they are very good practise for when the right one will eventually come around! And trust me, when you will finally click with a girl on a date, and it will definetely happen, you will have that feeling you are looking for, but in the meantime use dates as practise or as a nice way to meet people and make queer friends. Those queers friends probably have other queer friends amongst whom potentially your Mrs right so I would look at it that way. :wink:

#5 Lin1, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    notaprincess06 and Love4Ever like this.