1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does ANYONE here read comics?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by bruh, Sep 15, 2018.

1. bruh

bruh Guest

Feels like I'm the only one on here who does. It's one of the few things I can talk about on a regular basis and without anyone else to talk about comics, comic book TV shows, and/or comic book movies with, I'm most likely gonna leave the site. Don't let that guilt you I guess.

2. Halley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’ve read some comics. Mostly ultimate spider-man: Miles Morales, but I read ALOT of webcomics and I really want to read some more comics in general!

3. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read a few comics. I would highly recommend the Hellboy comics. And I really like the IDW Transformers comics.

4. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read quite a few comics, like: Doctor Who, Marvel and DC. But, I also read a lot of graphic novels, like: Amulet, Nimona and City of Ember. But, then there's manga which is a whole other can of worms. XD

5. bruh

bruh Guest

Anybody read any specifics? I've got the Flashpoint, DC New 52 titles of Justice League, Superman/Wonder Woman (DON'T EVER BUY IT), and Teen Titans, and some Superman event comics

6. bruh

bruh Guest

As for Marvel, I've recently bout Civil War, both Spider-Men, and Spider-Verse

7. Jude B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really love reading Civil War. Then, it gives me license to critique the movie based on how accurate it was. :nerd:

8. bruh

bruh Guest

The movie was barely accurate at all

9. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I LOVE comics and cartoons based on comic book characters. My favourite titles would have to be anything Batman by Grant Morrison, Nightwing and Red Robin. I also love Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes). Don't get me wrong I like Marvel comics too -- especially their Star Wars series. Although Darkhorse had some good Star Wars comics too when they made them. I love Spider-Man, Hulk and Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze). I'm not a big fan of the new 52 and past that for DC and though some of the recent Marvel comics I like I don't appreciate how they keep changing things in the comics to be closer to the movies. Teen Titans comics are good too but there have been so many rosters it's hard to pick a favourite series (probably not the 60s teen titans or new 52, though). Although for the New 52 there was some good Batman and Batgirl stuff (before Batgirl got updated and changed) and Blue Beetle (before the series was cancelled, I think).

10. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh and how could I forget the New Gods, Orion, and Mister Miracle series (before the New 52, though).
    Some of the movies I like but sometimes it's difficult to get too invested when I keep nitpicking all the changes to the plots and characters. It's ridiculous how off or inaccurate they can be.
    I love superhero cartoons though (not as much the recent ones though) like anything in the DCAU (like Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League, etc.), Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Unfortunately all of the Marvel cartoons got cancelled after only a few seasons. I also love Transformers and TMNT which of course have comics but I'll admit I haven't read many Transformers comics. I do like the IDW TMNT comics that are going on now though.
    I'm not a big fan of the live action TV series for the same reason I don't really like a lot of the movies. A friends told me they were making a show about The Runaways but I don't want to be disappointed because I really enjoyed that comic series.

11. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a Marvel nerd. I just started actually reading comics though like two years(?) ago. Young Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Nova (Sam Alexander). I want to read Ms. Marvel, Champions, Moon Knight, X-Men Blue (for young Iceman), and Iceman...but money. I don't get the individual comics, I buy them as their volumes.

Give me a whole Wiccan and Hulking series and I will fall in love. It's a shame they're shafted, especially Wiccan. Dude has the ability to do whatever he wants.

#11 Chierro, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  12. bruh

bruh Guest

I've only seen Superman as he was shown the event comics of his i have, but he's so cool. The Superman/Wonder Woman volumes are 80 bucks I wish I could get back. As for live action, let's start with TV. Number one, CW DC is T E R R I B LE. In Arrow and Flash, each show was only as good as the villians that were presented, which is why I only made it to season 6 of Arrow and 3 of Flash.

Arrow: It was AWESOME... until season 4 and Damien Dhark came along. I don't know what it was, but Jesus H Christ, Season 4 of Arrow and I did not get along at all. The best parts of the show were Deathstroke and Prometheus, and holy blue hell did I love them. I dont watch the show anymore because of season 6, where Oliver tells Slade "You're not a mercenary anymore," which I saw as traitorous to Slade's comic character entirely, but Seasons 2 and 5 will always have my respect as the best seasons of Arrow. As for the other characters, the only one, aside from Deathstroke and Prometheus, to interest me was the one and only Roy Harper, who's actor they removed from the show. If I'm being entirely honest, if I weren't for the fake plot twist of everyone dying at the end of Season 5, I'd have never gotten into, and myGod, the choreography was dog shit. Every scene looked like it was choreographed by a couple teenagers in a garage instead of a multimillion dollar studio and what was that bullshit where you could see whatever swords were brought onto the show flailing around and bending as they were being waved? Its entire possible to use prop weapons that don't do any of what I've seen way too many times.

Flash: O H. MY. GOD! Words cannot describe two things. One, how much I hated this show. Two, the amount of irony behind the fact that I hate this show because Flash is one of my favorite characters. New 52 Barry Allen has definly helped me through some rough days, but when I tell you I could not stand this show in the slightest, please know that it isnt a joke. One of the many things that has ALWAYS pissed me off about the show, right from the jump was the MASSIVE, UNBELIEVABLE amount of comic inaccuracy. Certain aspects of the show were so inaccurate, I had to wonder how they were incorporated into the show at all. Since when does Barry Allen have blonde hair and blue eyes, in what universe is iris west black (I'm black, dont chew me out), and who in the blue fuck is Joe West and why is he a cop!? As for that last one, it was revealed in The Flash: Reverse, that Iris, Daniel, and Rudy West's father was abusive and that one of them, (i cant remember which), ran away from home. But even bigger than physical appearance or race lifting is the Character inaccuracy which never failed to send me over the edge Aside from Eobard Thawne and Hunter Zolomon, and thank God for em, not one of those characters was true to their comic selves. Barry was this constant sadboi emo instead of the determined self he usually is. He'd always lose against a villian, complain about it, question himself, and then win WHICH ISNT LIKE HIM AT ALL. Again and again, I've see comic Barry win I'm the moment and if he didn't, get right back after the villian resolved to win the fight and protect others. Grant Gustin was nothing like Barry Allen and jesus, it couldn't have been that hardto find a blond haired blue eyed white dude wherever they were filming the show. And then theres Iris. Oh God, I get headaches remembering this chick. Everything about her was just wrong like the bullshit where Barry and Iris are adoptive siblings! That was just weird FOR EVERYONE!! However, as I said, the show had its positives. These positives were Eobard Thawne, the Reverse Flash, and Hunter Zolomon, Zoom. Something else words cant describe is how much I loved these two. Every action they took was not only the action of someone who truly wanted to break Barry Allen, but by God, they were the only ones who made the plot proceed. Reverse Flash wanted to break Barry Allen and did everything he could, when he could to make it happen. Zoom wanted to steal Barry's speed, knowing that he was still faster than him, and so he let him build it up and waited. Then each villian struck at the best possible moment in the most devastating way they could and IT WAS AWESOME. Season 3 however has negative amounts if love from me for a pretty... extended reason. As a villian (what he does), Savitar is based of off Flashpoiny and the New 52 Flash Comics where Barry Allen comes back in time from 20 years in the future to face his present day self, repair the Speed Force, and fix the mistakes he's made. Now i love this comic because I wish i could do the very same and relate high with Blue Flash (Barry Allen from 20 years in the future). My biggest problem with the show was it drew so far from this comic E N T I R E L Y! It was nowhere near accurate and worst of all, they killed off HR, who i actually kinda liked. Truth be told, I see this as a personal assault and will never forgive the one line that turned me off to the show entirely: "you're not the flash, Barry Allen. We are." I'm not kidding when I tell you I turned the TV off and never turned it on to the Flash again.

13. bruh

bruh Guest

Now for some positivity. As for Marvel live action, I've only seen Daredevil and it. Is. AWESOME!!! Everything about this show was done right. The fighting looked amazing, unlike in arrow where it only took about 45 seconds to a minute and a half for Oliver to win any given fight, where as Daredevil has to earn those wins in amazing realistic fight scenes that last for a satisfying period of time!! The struggle he faces from deciding whether or not to kill Fisk and his actions as Daredevil has affected his life as Matt Murdock to a beautifully elavated scale, and Matt's adamancy to remain a non killing hero has been tested and I love that in any hero story. Let's give Wilson Fisk some applause as he was a great villian who was true to his character in terms of his love for New York, his ruthlessness, and his physique. Sure, Vincent D'Nofrio was a little short to say Kingpin, but fuck me on a blue moon, he made it work by exceeding as a character. And props to Elektra because we've all had someone who feeds our darkness and fears/abhors the light in our lives. The characters are awesome, the fights are awesome, and I dont know how much the of the events of the show draw from the comics, but it's still damn good anyway. I'm also gonna start getting into punisher and already have the first episode

14. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Civil War was an interesting story arch. World War Hulk was pretty damn epic.
    Amulet is sitting on top of my pile to read, and Nimona was really enjoyable.

While they are aimed at more adult comic fans Rat Queens is also fantastic. It is a bit dark with lots of swearing, I know that's not everyone's thing. I only have the first three volumes, need to find the rest.

15. tranonymous

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup I mostly read non superhero stuff, although I’ve been getting into more superhero stuff recently (basically I’ll read anything with good female characters or queer representation).