1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to come out but on dating apps

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hedwig242, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Hedwig242

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey,

I’m 26 and not out to anyone. I’m definitely not straight - I’m either bi or lesbian. I physched myself up to come out to one of my best friends today but again I couldn’t get it out.

The thing I’m worried about is that I’m on dating apps and see people I know on there. I worry they’ll tell my friends or family before I do. I normally block anyone I know I’m dating apps but I’ve recently come across a friend of my best friend. I’ve had a crush on her for years and I’d love to connect with her as more than mutual friends but worries she’ll tell my best friend. Anyone been in a similar position?

Thank you!

2. alex1170

If you will have the opportunity to see and interact with (maybe even flirt with) your crush in person via a mutual friend instead of starting things out on a dating app, I might suggest that instead. Then you wouldn't have to worry about making anything awkward before you muster up the courage to tell your friend either. I think the one way things could go awry here is if you try to rush everything and it all blows up in your face. Like if you hit up your crush on the app and come out to your best friend all at once or in a short period of time, it could be a lot to handle for everyone involved depending on how much they end up talking about the situation.