1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

binary trans or genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by The1nkling, Sep 10, 2018.

1. The1nkling

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a long time, I've thought that I was binary transmale. Now I'm not so sure. Nine out of ten days I feel like a boy but there are days that I feel feminine or days where my gender doesn't even cross my mind like I have none. I do have chest dysphoria, but not every day. I'm just wondering if I'm really genderfluid or if I'm just in denial that I'm binary trans because I've grown up in a Christian household and everyone has always seen me as a girl. Genderfluid just doesn't feel right, but if I fit the bill... I'm just not sure, any advice?

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not every trans person has dysphoria 24/7, and it's completely normal for your dysphoria to fluctuate. You can be masculine or feminine and still be a guy, femininity and masculinity are expression. You could even be an androgynous guy if that works for you.

I've personally tried IDing as genderfluid in the past, and some trans people have also IDed as such in the beginning stages of their transitions. I see genderfluid as sort of a "stepping stone" for some people who have gradually come to terms with being FtM or MtF or NB.

Have you started any sort of social transitioning with friends or anyone?
    How do you want people to see you?

#2 Hawk, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's entirely possible, or perhaps you're bi-gender, which is like genderfluid but with only two distinct genders. Genderfluid usually involves 3+ genders, which can include any binary or non-binary gender such as agender, demi-guy, androgyne, etc.

I am AFAB, bi-gender, and I experience distinct male and female phases. When I'm guy, I'm all guy, when I'm a girl I'm all girl. Both fully binary. When I "settle into myself" (zen out, meditate, whatever) I know which one I am. Sometimes both genders are there at once, but distinct, I can identify both, two separate and distinct feelings, almost like two separate persons. A girl version of me and a guy version of me. It's not entirely unlike "multiple personality disorder" except that I don't stop being *me* when I switch, my personality doesn't really change at all, I just have different feelings and motivations that come from within.

From the time I realized what was going on, it took about six months of introspection and therapy to really understand and be able to distinguish between the part of me that is a guy and the part of me that is girl. Once I figured it out, they became even more distinct, and settled into a pattern - I get 3-4 months of each before switching, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when I switch.

When I'm feeling girl, I feel totally and entirely like I'm a cis girl and actually start doubting I'm transgender at all. I adore skirts and dresses, sparkly things, painting my toenails, and I adore my dangly earrings and other jewelry. I feel better about my gender identity as a girl, more completely girl than I ever did before I figured out I'm non-binary transgender. I used to be confused because I couldn't figure out why "I wanted to be a girl" when I was AFAB. I never felt I *was a girl* - something felt incomplete, or in the way.

But then when I feel like a guy, I feel like I'm all guy, 100% and my interest in girly things fade. I stop wearing earrings, I can't imagine why I would ever want to wear them. At some point I start to doubt I'm non-binary, I begin to believe perhaps I'm fully a binary transguy and should fully transition (I'm 16 mos on T, and had top surgery a month ago), I can't see or feel the girl anywhere inside, I only have a memory of feeling great about being a girl, and confused because it seems like such a foreign concept, because I'm a guy.

So look deep within yourself. Is it simply a lack of dysphoria at the moment, or it is a true feeling of self? A broken arm doesn't hurt 24/7, but just because it stops hurting for a while, that doesn't mean it's not broken, and the pain will return if you hit it wrong. Perhaps try on the non-binary identity for a while, explore to see if the side of you that is happy as a girl is real, or just a day when it's simply not painful. On one of your girly days celebrate your female side and feel it out. Does it feel right? It is you?

(A personal opinion only!) In opposition to Hawk's hypothesis that non-binary is merely a step toward binary trans, I personally believe that a large percentage of trans folks are non-binary to some degree, and are pressured into "nuking" any remnant of their birth sex, and lots of non-binary folks are living as binary trans, denying a part of their true selves due to peer pressure and strict historic "transition rules" created during the dark era of Harry Benjamin.

You are the only person who knows, and it will take time and introspection. Good luck.

4. The1nkling

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much for your reply! I was just curious what others thought and you gave me a lot to think about!

5. The1nkling

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want people to see me as a guy and I want to see myself that way too. I have tried having some of my friends use he/him pronouns, but I'm not sure that I like them just because they're actually respecting my wishes or that I connect with them. So I guess I've mostly answered the question for myself, lol. On the days that I feel a weak sense of being a boy, I can just see myself as a femme boy. It's all internal for me, I always dress androgynous/masculine anyway and I'm not going to change that. I've never liked dresses or anything like that. I still have my doubts from time to time but doesn't everyone?