1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Late to the party

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Reginasjoy, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Reginasjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Im 24 so I guess it's not really that late in life but I feel like it is. I feel a certain amount of regret from running away from myself and denying who I was. It's a strange way to feel, as if I've missed the boat or something. There's probably a better way to articulate this but im tired. My name's Regina btw.

DragonBoys, Leah061 and Weightless like this.
  2. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many of us feel the same way and are older. You can’t change the past but you can change the future.

Reginasjoy likes this.
  3. tystnad

tystnad Guest

hey regina! welcome!
    i’m 24 too and am still figuring out myself - you’ll be surprised how common that is. for lgbt people it’s not really that uncommon to reach typical teenage milestones in our twenties or later, and that includes figuring out who we are.
    please know that with a life expectancy of about 70-80 years depending on where you live in the world, you’ve still go many years left to come to terms with things (if necessary), come out (if you want) and to live your life the way you want it. the only deadline in life is death, so don’t worry about missing the boat. there are still many more boats to come :slight_smile:

Reginasjoy likes this.
  4. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    24 isn’t bad. I didn’t start to figure things out til 45

Peterpangirl and Reginasjoy like this.
  5. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was 34, I'm 35 now.

Reginasjoy likes this.
  6. Weightless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm 25 and can relate :slight_smile:

Reginasjoy likes this.
  7. DragonBoys

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I can relate. I'm 24 too and feel like I just missed the cliche chance of dating in my teens and early twenties, haha. I'm trying to...understand that there are decades ahead where I can realize who I am and reflect that in my social relationships but like...idk I feel like I'm missing out

Reginasjoy likes this.
  8. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was 49 when I started to come to terms, via therapy, with my genderfluidity - if that helps. It was wonderful, I thought, I'm so glad I've got there, in touch with the woman in me, as I turned 50, regarded as relatively young in this day and age.

9. Laughsalot

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am 34 and feel the same. I feel silly for avoiding it for so long and I have lost years of my life and experiences I can't get back now.

I do think though that reaching this stage later might mean that we are better armed to deal with it, and that we have a more mature group of people around us while we do. I am sad that I have missed out on experiences at a younger age, but I don't regret missing out on the drama of coming out etc. while I was in my teens either to be honest.

10. WanderingMind

Grab hold of life and live it. It’s the only thing you can do! Plus, now that you know, you have so many options ahead of you that you didn’t have before. Best wishes!

Peterpangirl likes this.
  11. Mel3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No worries, I'm 37 and just starting to figure things out! We all have our paths and it's never too late for anything

Weightless likes this.
  12. confused04

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    wow, i am 37 and barely scratched the surface on figuring it out. I feel ancient.

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think pretty much everyone feels late to the party. The closet steals so much from all of us. I came out immediately after college, in the early nineties. Still to this day, what is my biggest regret in life? Not being out for college. I objectively know I did pretty good with my time and circumstances--I mean I had never even met a gay person until I went away to college. But I also know it would have been better to come out earlier. There's a point where you'd just have to move on and celebrate the fact that you made it at all.

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey welcome to etc. I was in my mid 20's when I started question my sexuality so about your age and I definitely went through a period where I wished I had deal with it before or realised before. As the others have said you can't do anything about the past it's gone, just the future. I also think that when the mind looks at something like that it only looks at the positives that would have been had you come out or realised at a younger age and I mainly think that's to do with the thought that if I had done it when I was younger it would be over by now and I wouldn't have to be dealing with it now. I think we get to the point when we are ready to deal with it, and for everyone that age is different. Until I questioned in my mid 20's I totally thought I was straight although the more I accepted it and looked back on my past the more clues I could see which I was stunned I didn't notice at the time, I just think my mind wasn't ready to deal with it and so I didn't see it. It like you have walked past the door before but only now you decided to try it and give it a push.
    I am however really please to tell you, you definitely haven't missed the boat, we have regular ships sailing so jump aboard anytime you like :slight_smile:

Weightless likes this.