1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out at 40...so much to learn

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Alisa, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Alisa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am very recently out as a lesbian at age 40, separated from my husband with 2 amazing kids. I have an amazing partner and family who are incredibly patient and supportive. My biggest obstacle is that I feel like a teenager. Everything I’ve known has been turned on it’s head. I feel like I don’t know anything about the community and that I’ve been very naive to the opinions and perceptions of others about it. Any suggestions on how to feel less insecure and “new”?

Zen fix, Forlong and bright skies like this.
  2. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in my 40s also and just beginning my first same-sex relationship.

Are you on Twitter, by chance? I follow quite a few lesbian publications and have been kind of immersing myself in articles that interest me. I also subscribed to Curve Magazine. I feel like I'm starting to understand a bit more about the LGBTQ+ community now. These are all probably on Facebook or Instagram too, but my Twitter feed is private, while people may notice who I like and follow on FB. Some that I like to read besides Curve are: Diva magazine, Go Magazine, BuzzFeed LGBT, Hannah Gadsby (comedian - also, watch Nannette on Netflix - funny, sad, amazing!), Andrea Gibson (poet/activist), Dr. Jennelle (same-sex couple therapist for later in life lesbians - check out http://www.bigchangeofheart.com/), Glennon Doyle (writer, activist).

I also listen to lesbian music (Spotify has some playlists) and have watched some movies and tv shows.

You could also look on meetup.com for some lesbian groups in your area.

JenniGrace and Really like this.
  3. smurf

Welcome!

This forum is actually really good for stating your journey about learning about other LGBT people, their views, and their concerns.

Learning about the "LGBT community" isn't learning about "those people over there". Its learning that "those people over there" actually have very similar things with you. That each of us have had to make tough decision and each of us sees the world differently.

On EC alone you have teenagers who are being being raised in a more tolerant environment, people in their 60s who have been out for ever, people in thier 60s who are newly out, very liberal people, very conservative people, religious people, atheist, you name it we are here.

So start asking questions, even if you think they are dumb, and you will be surprised at how much you learn from simply interacting with other people here.

4. Mel3

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi. I'm in a similar situation. Newly divorced from a 17 year realtionship with kids. I am just now discovering that I am and always have been attracted to women and not so much to men. I have told no one about my feelings because I feel like I need to figure them out for myself first. I live in a rural area and have no clue how to connect with anyone while keeping everything anynomous for now. I tried meetup but everything is over an hour away. This is my first post and I'm following this to listen to all the suggestions. Thanks and nice to meet you all.

5. bright skies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Mel3, Sounds like you are very similar to me! 17yr long relationship, children and living rural.

When I had a temporary split from my GF I went on ###### and met some people through there one of which is now a really good friend.

Mel3 likes this.
  6. bright skies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It’s great to hear you are well supported.

I’m in my 30’s and slowly coming out. I’ve been trough a range of feelings. Some days I feel like I don’t care what people think and then others I worry, but mainly for my children. My eldest is embarrassed about other people’s reactions. I swap between wanting a range of straight and lgbt friends. But I’m always worried to attract unwanted attention for my children sake.