1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How exactly do you let go of the past? Does it take time?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ljjgreat2017, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have a couple of things on my mind that keep bothering that are from the past. I have recently seen a counselor and had my first session. But I wish the distress would go away forever. Also, I'm feeling hopeless about this.

Please help? Will it take time?

2. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hell there, first let me tell you that you are not the only one that has things from the past that bothers them, I think we all do once in awhile, some more than others.

Its important that you continue to see your counselor, don't be afraid to talk to him/her about anything. They are bound to keep things between you and them unless it is something against the law then then are obligated to report to law enforcement. Talking can really do wonders.

You may also just write things down, in detail and when you are done take the papers outside and burn them, a symbolic way of putting issues to rest.

Things usually get better with time. I wish I could say different. Just remember life is sometimes a work in progress.

Dean

Ljjgreat2017 and PurpleDude like this.
  3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are currently in counseling then it might be a good idea to stay off the forums for a while, until your treatment is finished. Otherwise you might get conflicting pieces of advice from posters and your counselor, and that might cause you confusion and hinder your recovery.

Ljjgreat2017 likes this.
  4. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Advise from posters could be brought up to your counselor, different things work different for different people.

Ljjgreat2017 likes this.
  5. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    the answer to that is an obvious yes, otherwise you wouldn't still be dealing with the issues. each of us deal with things in a way that make sense to us, we have a process that we go through. I myself have never been to a therapist, so I can't comment directly on that. I would say though that you going to therapy is a direction that your process has lead you to because it feels such a relationship will benefit you.

Ljjgreat2017 likes this.
  6. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks so much for taking the time to write your reply. I will keep these things in mind.