1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to make myself stop having a crush on someone?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by thexboxguy, Sep 5, 2018.

1. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello guys, I was just wondering if you could tell me a way to stop having crushes on straight guys?
    Let me start by saying I'm 26 year old and I developed a crush on a very handsome/beautiful 21 year old guy, who I still don't get to know him well, we only acknowledge each other. On the one hand, this guy, let's call him louis, is from texas and at the beginning I thought he was a nice/great guy by the way he treated others and how he expresses himself. On the other hand, today louis was asked by a female friend of him the next question: What's an obsession you have to get over/get out of? to which he answered/said ''Girls'' I'm not really sure what exactly the question was, because aside I didn't hear what exactly the question was, english isn't really my native language and I'm still learning/working on the pronunciation thing. What I'm pretty sure to have heard was him saying/answering ''Girls''.To tell you the truth, my heart was broken by hearing him say that.

However, I think my mistake was delude myself believing in the possibility of this guy being gay or at least bisexual. That's what I hate about being gay, whenever you have a crush on a guy, they almost always turn out to be straight and one usually ends up with a broken heart, which feels really bad. Whereas, by hearing louis's answer, I got the impression that he is more likely a womanizer but I don't know what you think of him? I've also noticed he is flirtatious and often smiles at girls.

Please guys, any advice or opinion would be really appreciated, since I'm feeling really bad right now. Thanks in advance and have a good night.

As an low intermediate or maybe intermediate english speaker, it'd be cool if you let me know how good or bad my english is?

2. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give it time and the intensity will not be as aparent.

For the longest time I found a few coworkers super attractive but found out they were straight; they still work there but they aren’t interested in guys that way. Do I still think about them in a romantic and/or sexual way? Sure do! And I think until they leave (or I leave) this isn’t going to stop. However, I’m more mindful about these thoughts and fantasies when I see them at work, because it gives me a bit of a reality check to realize they will never be interested in me that way.

Cheers!

Your English is also quite good.

#2 Jax12, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it best to be open about my own sexuality around straight guys.

My straight friends talk about their experiences with women and I accept that part of their lives, and I talk about my experiences with men and they accept that part of my life. And we all trust each other because we've shared intimate details about our sex lives. I can't exactly develop romantic feelings for a guy if I've been casually talking to him about what I get up to with other men.

4. Alex916

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you're having problems with this. Crushing on straight people is honestly the worst, and it can be so much heartache. When I get crushes on people who I'd rather just be friends with, I try this: I can usually find something about my crush that I don't mind in a friend, but couldnt stand in a partner. I focus a lot on that to the point where I couldn't imagine dating that person. Example: I have a friend who is absolutely gorgeous, sweet and funny. She has a wonderful personality and is just perfect, and I had a crush on her for a long time. But she didn't wash her hands! That's a huuuuge pet peeve of mine. So every time I had feelings for her, I'd tell myself "You want to date this beautiful lady? You could never hold her hand, she never washes them!" Eventually it worked! It was kinda silly, but it absolutely worked and I have zero romantic interest in her these days, haha.

Also your English is better than a lot of people I know who grew up speaking English :slight_smile: I used to work at a center to help people improve their writing, and your English is better than at least half of the people I tutored who spoke English as a first language. Very impressive, friend!

5. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

6. Alex916

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That reminds me of when my high school friend called herself "boy crazy," when she was into guys ALL THE TIME and would rather talk with guys than do school work or pursue her own hobbies or anything. For her, boys were an obsession she needed to get over. I couldn't even keep up with all the boys she was chasing! It sounds like "louis" feels like he wastes a lot of energy on women. That being said, my friend actually came out to be as bi after a while, so louis might not be straight.

7. thexboxguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Does that mean they are promiscuous people or not necessariliy?

Are these kind of people trustworthy?

What's your friend like?

sorry for asking so many questions but honestly I'd never heard a guy say that before, because most of my straight friends have their girlfriends or wives.

And yes, that's one thing I'm going to do my best to work on. I promise I'll try to focus on other things like pursuing my hobbies, reading books etc, in order to get over him.

8. Alex916

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ask any questions you like :slight_smile:
    I suppose it could translate to promiscuity, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    My friend is very trust-worthy :slight_smile: she's been in quite a few long-term relationships, between all the dating, and is actually getting married in two days!