1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An in the closet Catholic Man

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Thomas094, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Thomas094

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    just trying to find discussion on how to deal with

1, Catholic Church
    2. Marriage
    3. Wants/Needs

etc

Am I off base and only one

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No replies? I know there are a few Christian members here, though can't say how many are practicing Catholics (the church has a bit of a reputation).

Maybe try "later in life" section, since most here are too young to have experience with marriage.

3. TravelerMe

I've got all three of those boxes checked. What are you specifically trying to deal with? What are you questioning?

4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a practicing Catholic, who is also closeted. Can't really help with the marriage part, as I a not married, but I can try to help as much as I can with the rest.

5. theamos13

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I had the Catholic guilt thing
    I am married
    Wants and needs balanced

Catholic and morals are the same no matter what
    God created you
    If you look at the morels thing sex out side of marriage is wrong but that never stops more of us.
    It is rough balancing all but your among friends here

6. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thomas094

I was raised Catholic...VERY Catholic. I wrestled with the issue of my sexuality when I was in my later teens and early twenties. At one point I decided celibacy was the only option for me including any masturbation or fantasies.

So....TMI here. I ended up with a clinical case of "blue balls"...seriously...was in the ER and everything. Turns out I have an issue with a duct.

I remember thinking WTF? I couldn't believe that God could create someone as screwed up as I was and I started questioning my faith. Eventually, I left the Church. I married outside of it anyway so I was living in sin.

What I didn't give up was my morals that required me to be faithful to my wife...that marriage vows were important.

At this point, after decades of being faithful, I have come to the conclusion that I can't have a part part of my sexuality that is less important just because I was raised in an environment that made same sex attractions wrong.

Whether we like it or not, and whether it is defined as a sin, we, really, have no choice but to accept our sexuality and figure out some way to nourish it..

Soooo. To me, marriage is a contract. We make a commitment to our spouses. But, this contract can be renegotiated. Who's to say what a marriage should be? My wife and I have adjusted our contract to include my same sex needs.

This is a process. It started out with my wife accepting me, then I started engaging the gay community. After a while, limited intimacy, with rules, with other men.

The thing is. How we proceed, and how we integrate our same sex desires is so individual. It is the same with how we reconcile our faith with our sexuality.