1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just started questioning my gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nicholas7, Sep 3, 2018.

?

-

1. -

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. -

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nicholas7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have identified as a male since I was born (Because I am a male). But since I have turned 20 I have been thinking what it's like to be a woman. I mean I don't mind being women, but that doesn't mean I hate being a guy I don't mind either. What does this make me because I am really confused or could it be a phase?

AnimalBLUE likes this.
  2. Amo616

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could be genderqueer or genderfluid. If you feel like this all three time and your gender doesn't fluctuate, you may be genderqueer. If you only think of being feminine sometimes and your gender send to fluctuate, you could be genderfluid. Genderqueer is when a person feels to be more than one gender. Genderfluid is when a person's gender changes. You may feel masculine one day, and them the next you'll feel more feminine. With being genderfluid, you don't have to be strictly one gender a day, you can be a combination of many at a time. The genders could change very quickly or slowly if you are genderfluid. So basically if you feel the same amount of masculine and feminine all the time, you may be genderqueer but if your gender changes, you may be genderfluid. Hope this helps some.

AnimalBLUE likes this.
  3. AnimalBLUE

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

Hi Nicholas. Firstly, I agree with the above poster but was also going to say that the different terms for gender identities can be confusing and a lot to get you’re head around. That said, they are there to try and guide people where they may fit the best. Can I ask, has this just suddenly happened or has there been signs of this back to you’re childhood. I too have recently been questioning my gender identity and it’s similar to you’re explanation (only I was assigned female at birth) but it’s important to remember but no ones gender identity will be exactly the same but will be similar. I e kind of put myself in the non binary/genderqueer box for now while I try and work out what I am but it maybe a long windy road of discovery and for sure, it’s impossible to know overnight. I had only ever heard of the word transsexual...that’s it! Not any other gender identities apart from obviously male and female. Call me ignorant if you will but I literally had no idea that there was the term transgender until last year and only heard of non binary and all the other gender identities a month or so ago! I’m 37 AFAB. I always felt a lot more comfortable dressing like a man and uncomfortable dressing and expressing myself as a woman. I acted like a guy and carried out many things that a guy would such as hobbies etc. I pretended to be a boy on a few occasions during my childhood and it felt so liberating and natural. But when I reached teen years, I realised my attraction for women and put all my gender identity issues down to being gay! I thought that all lesbians were like me and I started to feel puzzled when I saw girly lesbians! Sounds silly saying this now but I genuinely had no idea that sexuality was a separate thing to gender until recently. So all the signs have been there, I’ve been uncomfortable with my chest and sometimes even want to be a man completely, but then again, not 100%.if I could put a percentage on it, I’d prob be 75% male and 25% female but many people don’t use that approach to it and it’s what is right for you. I was on my own somewhere a couple of mo the ago and suddenly thought, this is stupid, I’m not like a women, but I’m not 100% a guy either. I then wondered just like someone can be bisexual, does bi-trans exist? I came home and researched on the internet and nearly fell off my chair! I could t believe it, everything fell into place and I wondered if that’s what happened with you? You identify as a guy because you know of no other gender identities even though you may feel abit uncomfortable. Then the awareness hits?

Over you’re lifetime, you may find that things are pretty fixed for example, you feel like somewhere in between Male and female or dont feel like either but it stays around the same. Or it may fluctuate and both is absolutely ok. You may even realise that actually you are a male and it’s just that’s you’ve been curious and explore your gender. Or you may discover that you feel like you want to be a women completely. Any of these ways are completely natural and there’s nothing wrong with any of them but it can be a long winding path with unexpected things. Some people who are gender queer may transition, some may carry on as they are to the way they feel comfortable. Some may have partial surgery for example breasts removed etc, some may not have any surgery but take hormones to try and allow them to feel more comfortable. Like myself at the moment, I’m just carrying on, dressing like a guy, but at some point I’ll want to tell people around me and even perhaps do something. Do you have anyone that you can talk to about this? A LGBTQ helpline e would be a good start as they help you explore you’re gender and provide support. I agree with the above poster but I wanted to share some of my experiences in order to try and help you as perhaps you may think that’s the same as me or actually that’s quite different. I hope I haven’t overshared things or sent you into Information overload! Let us know how your getting along.