1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Femme Lesbian Open Thread and Perspectives

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by morallygrayro, Aug 29, 2018.

1. morallygrayro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a woman-aligned nonbinary person who is questioning my sexuality and I think that if I end up being a lesbian I will probably also be a femme. So, femme lesbians, especially nonbinary femme lesbians, tell me how being femme informs your life in ways that you think non-femmes wouldn't necessarily be aware of. And, if I have questions about being femme, please answer them.

2. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So my identity is mostly fem, but my gender-presentation is more androgynous. I also do not identify as a lesbian because I am ace/aro and would probably be pan if I wasn't. buuuuuuut...

Being femme informs my life in the way that my life values do. That is, I know what is important to me, and the stereotypical responses that are associated with those parts of my identity so when I am uncertain of a choice I use it to guide my decisions.

So for a really basic example: If I wanted to watch a movie but wasn't sure what to watch, and I had to pick between an action flick and a romantic comedy, if all else was equal and I was just as interested in both I'd choose the romantic comedy. This is because it's the more stereotypical feminine choice. (not because it's actually feminine, but literally because society says romcom=chick flick... the superficial stuff)...

For something a little more engaged... If I were to participate in a relationship (very unlikely)... I would only do so with someone who identified as being attracted to feminine people. Even if the person typically goes for masculine types but for some reason is attracted to me instead... That's mismatch would be a deal breaker for me. I can't trust that they wouldn't switch back and want me to be more masculine which then would be in conflict with my identity.

In general though... I guess it's mostly about feeling happy with yourself and your identity. Feeling like you're being your authentic self whether that be a lesbian or not, or if it's being femme or butch, or liking meat or being a vegan... Just gotta be you :slight_smile: