1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer and Trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ken867, Aug 27, 2018.

1. ken867

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it possible t be genderqueer and transgender? For example, I was born in a girls body but I experience dysphoria regarding my chest, not having male parts, and secondary male characteristics. However, I don't experience dysphoria heavily all the time. I'll still feel uncomfortable in my body but it doesn't feel the same as the dysphoria that I would experience previously. I do feel like a boy and I think one day I may fully transition but the way my dysphoria acts is very confusing and It makes me doubt what I feel.

AnimalBLUE likes this.
  2. AnimalBLUE

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there, I feel very similar to you’re experienced above. I don’t have a absolute burning desire to go and fully transition right now but I sort of feel in the future I would. Dysphoria tends to feel worse sometimes than others depending on what I’m doing really. I think sometimes if I’m content then I don’t feel it as much but that said sometimes the more masculine I make myself, the more I want to be. Sometimes it’s almost just going with the flow and try not to worry about having to fit yourself into one definition as there are so many it can get confusing. The definitions can help us to make sense of how we are feeling are realise that there are others like us who experience the same or similar, however sometimes it can get abit stressful trying to fit into one or two of them. I’m very new to all this and do t have that much knowledge compared with many...I even thought that Genderqueer came under the term transgender?

ken867 likes this.
  3. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Transgender means, by definition, that a person does not identify with the gender they were assigned at birth. The term is intentionally broad so that anyone who feels not-cis is "by the book" trans.

At the end of the day it's really about what you feel is the best label for you. Sometimes it'll be trans. Sometimes it might be genderqueer. It could change and that's cool.

Side note: the strength and frequency of your dysphoria shouldn't define your gender or label. Just because you aren't as uncomfortable with your body as you sometimes are, doesn't mean you're all of a sudden not trans in that moment.

Mihael and ken867 like this.
  4. Molko

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can really relate to this - I actually would say that’s my identity. I had really bad dysphoria growing up and now still identify as being transgender, especially with a life of feeling the way I have - but I’ve never in my adult life wanted to me masculine. I do not want to take testosterone, as I’m happy with as I am bar my chest which I’m in the process of having surgery done privately. I wear makeup but as a guy wearing makeup. I see myself as a feminine guy, not as female and was never feminine before I began binding. My femininity has become more pronounced since I accepted myself as trans if that makes sense because now I’m more the person I feel I am and that is not masculine.

#4 Molko, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    ken867 likes this.
  5. Bernice

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same here. I started off thinking I might be trans but now think it may be genderfluid. I don't think I want to fully transition but I would like to have breasts. I also can't stand not to be clean shaven, both face and body and I hate that my hair is slightly receding as I'd love a more feminine hairstyle. So overall I think I just want to be able to be more feminine and to be able to pass a female.

ken867 likes this.
  6. KayNB

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes you can be both. I would also say that being genderqueer isn't a definition of how-transgender a person is, but it does describe a target gender in better details.

I personally identify as Transgender. My official label that I eventually settled on is "Genderqueer Woman". This is a good fit because much like @Molko but in the other gendery direction... I found my masculinity within womanhood.

This mix of masculinity and femininity actually makes me feel more transgender than a typical binary transgender person. The reason is, a typical binary transgender person who transitions has social and medical interventions that they go through and then if they get to a point of passing/stealth they work to maintain that transition. Eventually many say that they no longer feel like they're transgender. For me, I'll always be obviously transgender. In fact, I prefer that people know I am trans. I'd rather they not know what my assigned gender at birth was (that would be passing for me) but I am fine with them knowing that I am not the same as my ambiguous starting point and instead am openly active in playing a role in defining my gender (The political implications of this are why I use the term genderqueer rather than non-binary). So based on time alone, the person who identifies as transgender part of their life, vs the person who identifies as transgender their whole life... I'd say the whole-life person has more volume by time at least. (Technically the multi-gender twisting means by context as well but that's another story)

Anyway I know that's a little ranty... but my answer to the question is "yes, you can definitely be both transgender and genderqueer!"