1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running around in circles about my sexuality, need help

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by BrainTrain, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Thomas094

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    so how are you doing Brain Train? Calmer?

2. BrainTrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's interesting to hear about the effects of the medication. When you say it slows your mind down a bit, do you mean that you process things slower? Or do you just think a bit more methodically and steadily? It sounds like you're describing a knife that's a bit dull, but it still gets the job done at the end of the day.

What's your therapy like after taking the medication? Is your therapist giving you any kind of new mental/emotional tools to work with? Today was my second session with my therapist. She had me record my negative thinking for a week and it was amazing seeing how much self-hate I could accumulate. Compound that hate habit for the past 2 years and the effects really start to eat away at you. She's recommending that I start my day by focusing on something I'm grateful for. I think the idea is to slowly dig myself out of this hole that I've been sitting in for so long with some healthier habits for my mind.

3. BrainTrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Thomas, I can totally relate to the OCD thinking, we definitely both share that personal pain. Sexuality is just my latest thing to obsess about, how about you? If it's not that then my mind is usually spinning around about something else in my inner world. I remember having my first homosexual experience when I was 12, and I obsessed for at least a year after thinking I had AIDs. I had zero symptoms of course, but it's amazing how the mind creates an entire story based on a fear and just runs with it.

I'm curious, you mentioned above that you're thinking "Is it wrong for me to have one life but want another?" What does that other life look like to you? Do you see yourself as happier? More at peace with yourself? I'd really be interested to hear what that story looks like in your head. It might even inspire me to write my own version down.

Today was a bit rough for me. I had my second therapy session and walked away with some new tools and to-do's, but my mind was pretty overwhelmed by all of it. Then walking into work and trying to wrap my head around new projects was just too much. Between thinking about my sexuality + therapy + work I notice that my mind just hits its limit really fast. Hell, sometimes I'll wake up think about my sexuality non-stop for the first hour of the day and feel totally drained by the time I walk out the door for work. Do you ever experience this? Have you found any way to calm the chatter?

And hell yes on wanting to be happy. We will find our way!

4. Thomas094

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    BrainTrai. You are my twin brother. I wake up at 5 and can lay there easily for an hour dwelling on sex life or whatever. I purchased an alpha stim machine and love. My psychologist tried it in her office and I loved it. Every time I went in she let me use it during our session. Sometimes the other life is me dating a guy. Sometimes it me living on my own but with no anxiety. Yeah I am a little bit of a mess right now

5. InbornGame

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's like I'm less quick to fall into a particular pattern of thinking, which I think gives me the opportunity to be more methodical. It's really subtle, and I don't necessarily think its a bad thing.

There really isn't therapy right now. I had done a fair amount of CBT prior to starting the medication, and there was some more in the months after I started, just to add a couple more tools to the mental toolbox. It sounds really similar to what you're doing in therapy right now. It was very self-directed and goal-oriented, there was lots of homework--making lists, writing, etc. There was also lots of mindfulness/meditation, which I continued for a while (and should probably do more often--its hard, though, when you're feeling good and life is busy). Adding the medication just made it easier for me to use some of the things I had learned in therapy.

Thomas094 likes this.
  6. Saxson

Saxson New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I can completely understand where you are coming from, im still trying to figure myself out too.. it started for me when i was 13-14.. i had a massive crush on my best friend and i suppressed those feelings and i actually regret that.. my best friend ironically told me a week before i moved out of state he had a crush on me too and because i was scared of change.. scared of everything i never acted on that.. and i regret it.. regret it every single day because im still in love with him.. and i recently found him again on facebook.. and all the old feelings came rushing back like a Tsunami hitting a village.. and it brought all those fears an anxiety with it.. no one knows about it.. ive told no one not until a few days ago i
    had talked to my friend an he was supportive, the downside to all this is my massive crush confuses the hell out of me.. he sadly got into drugs bad and in an out of jail in those 10 years we had been seperated and i finally confessed too him over FB about how i truly felt and now hes avoiding me he didn't block me.. he didn't delete me off facebook.. we are still "Friends" so i dont know if hes just mad at me or the drugs..

7. BrainTrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Saxson, I'm sorry to hear about the road your friend went down with the drugs. I wonder if that was his way of coping with his own sexuality?

My first gay experience was around the same age as you. I looked up the guy on Facebook recently and found out he's in jail and just struggling all around. It makes me kind of sad to think that I might have contributed to that in some way. Just adding more confusion to his already chaotic life.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. I hope you can rekindle that feeling of love for someone who is ready for you.

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi there. First of all, I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I know what it's like to have fear and racing thoughts take over. It can feel like you've lost control and that's hard to handle for anyone. Secondly, I can only imagine how much worse it must be to have heard that from your father. I myself would have been incredibly hurt, and I'm sure a lot of your fear stems from that. No one wants to even contemplate being rejected by their own father. But the important thing to remember is no matter how he feels, it is your life, and if he can't accept that it's his loss. Now as for your feelings I think everything you have described is normal. When you first discover new feelings it can take over all your mental space. It's totally normal to feel this way because your brain is trying to adjust to all this new information. So be gentle with yourself. Allow yourself to have the feelings, and don't fight them because it will only make you feel panicky. But also don't overthink them. Let them come, but resist the urge to analyze them. It's also normal for preferences to switch. You may be into men more right now and it could change back. Or you might just now experience more predominate desire towards men. It's all okay.

Meander and BrainTrain like this.
  9. BrainTrain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This made my night, thank you so much.

I just came out to 5 people in my life. I have decided to form my own circle of people that I can trust with my Truth, and who I know will accept me as I am. I don't need to tell the entire world, or shout it from the rooftops. I want to keep it small and personal with a selected group in my personal life. This makes me feel in control, and I really like that right now.

I can't expect the world to love me and not judge me. There will always be some form of hate out there. But I can choose what kind of people to surround myself with who accept me for who I am. Anyone that rejects this part of me rejects myself. And that's a clear indication to not keep them around.

May the truth be cleansed. Thank you all so much for being here.

#29 BrainTrain, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Love4Ever likes this.