1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your opinion on Disney's representation of the LGBTs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HeFleBiGen, Aug 7, 2018.

1. HeFleBiGen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Accurate? Or inaccurate?
    I haven't watched Disney Channel since like 2015 so I have no idea but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. TaniwhaLex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Far too much stereotyping. There's more than just the bitchy effeminate drama club gay boys (who are usually white) in the community - to clarify I am labeling a stereotype not actual people. They need to expand and stop trying to make the characters so obviously gay they're practically a caricature, instead be actually subtle and have people who look like people (funny that) and then just little things... maybe a girl talking about exes and there's guys and girls alike mentioned, or casual pronoun correction "Oh, I actually use they/them pronouns"
    little things that are just our everyday. would be nice.

#2 TaniwhaLex, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  3. HeFleBiGen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for my insight. I was standing firm to myself not watching Disney Channel anymore (mainly due to its programs sucking now) and now you gave me a reason to stay away. :slight_smile:

4. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't really say, as the only Disney Channel shows I watch nowadays are Raven's Home and Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure, neither of which deal with LGBT themes, or have LGBT characters.

5. HeFleBiGen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mean, I've only heard of one DC show that at least features a gay character: Andi Mack.
    I don't know about any other program tho I don't think any other program other than that one features an LGBT character.

6. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I watch every now and then, but rarely. The only show that has a gay character as far as I'm aware is Andi Mack and from the episodes I've seen it's actually a fairly good representation for a middle schooler. I'm not really sure what show or movie TaniwhaLex was referring to, but really no Disney Channel stuff involves those stereotypes.

Disney's real issue is that it treats Disney Channel as kid-focused and family-focused and while it's branching out in terms of what defines a family, it's slow to making headway with LGBT representation.

7. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not just Disney Channel. They have that issue with their films as well. So far we have LeFou in Beauty and the Beast, but nothing else so far.

8. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very true, I actually forgot about LeFou, which is surprising since I love Beauty and the Beast. There's very minor representation in Zootopia as well. Judy's neighbors are a gay couple (proven in the credits) and Clawhauser (spelling?) is very effeminate.

I would love for their to be more representation in Disney films, but I want it to be natural. For example, I don't fully support Elsa getting a girlfriend for the simple fact of I feel that Elsa's story focuses on her being an independent woman and queen and sisterly love. If Frozen 2 does it, I feel it will just feel a little forced.

And to be fair on Disney's part. LGBT-focused film representation in general is happening slowly. We're getting films but not fast. And it's sadly a questionable move on many studios. Love, Simon took a risk and it soared, BUT I'll be the first to admit that it may have gotten that way because some advertising and interviews focused more on "everyone can relate" instead of focusing on the whole "it's a beautiful gay love story."

Disney will come around...it's just going to take some time. It will be a risky move for Disney to make a major animated film with a gay lead.

9. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. They're one of my favorite film studios, so it would be nice to see more representation. I also kind of find it interesting how some characters over the years could be ambiguous and open to interpretation. I wouldn't be surprised if people though Timon and Pumba from Lion King were a couple, as well as various other disney/Pixar characters. I do understand though that it will take time for more accurate representation.

I also agree with you on your views of Elsa. I think she rocks as an independent queen and doesn't need a love interest of any gender. It's just as important to show people that you can be self-reliant and you don't need anyone to solve your problems.

#9 BothWaysSecret, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many people think Li Shang (from Mulan) is bi. He won't be in the live action movie; they're putting a 1000% straight man who bullies her until he finds out she's a girl.

11. Loves books

There was a movie a while back called lemonade mouth. Every member of the band ended up with someone except for Stella. Stella struck me as gay at the beginning of the movie. But since the actress was Haley Kiyoko I'm not sure if I was thinking she was gay or Stella.

12. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far Cyrus on Andi Mack has been pretty good representation, though I wonder if Disney will actually have the guts to give him a boyfriend.

As far as movies go, Lefou in the (unnecessary) Beauty and the Beast remake was nothing more than cringeworthy stereotypes. Technically Hugo the gargoyle from The Hunchback of Notre Dame is gay since he was clearly attracted to Esmeralda's (male) goat. Though since the gargoyles were the worst part in an otherwise AMAZING movie, it's understandable that people don't remember this.