1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Need Bar Skills!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SevnButton, Aug 21, 2018.

1. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What advise can you give me?

I went back to the same gay bar this week, hoping for another good experience like last week. I started by talking with a guy who kept putting his hands on me, even when I told him I was uncomfortable with that. I tried starting conversations with a few guys, but they never went anywhere. I said "hi" to the guy who introduced me to the group last week and he hardly responded. I left feeling like it just wasn't my scene, wondering if I should ever go back.

About the only time I can get to the gay bar is early evening, right after work.

What am I doing wrong?

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sucks and I'm sorry it wasn't good this time, but I commend you on going. What you describe is how I imagine it would go for me too so I don't know how to fix it. I figure guys I'm not interested in would maybe approach me and the guys I like wouldn't notice me. I read that people suggest chatting with the bartender a few times to become a regular and maybe others will warm up to you. I hope that or something positive works for you.

SevnButton likes this.
  3. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sevnbutton

I chatted with a bartender for awhile a couple years back. Truth be told...we sorta had the hots for each other...he did make a pass at me. That's another story.

But, he did tell me that a bar is sorta like a relationship. Sometimes things are really clicking and everyone is in sync and getting along and partying and somedays things are just weird. It is such a dynamic and changing environment and everyone is affected by each other's moods. The guy you talked to could just be having a rough day and the touchy feely guy having something going on in his life (not excusing the behavior). Even your own expectations can influence how someone reacts to you.

I would go back again and give it another shot. Really, you have nothing to lose.

DRobs likes this.
  4. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks @mnguy -- talking with the bar tender is a good idea. They're at work and they have things to do, but part of their job is to help people to want to come back.

5. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks @Nickw , those are good insights. And now I realize that I wasn't tuning in to the vibe of the bar, but just trying to bring my vibe in. So it's not surprising that I left with a feeling of not fitting in.

Part of the problem for me is that I'm doing this without telling my wife, but I am behaving myself and not doing anything but talking.

6. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of that sounds pretty normal. A lot of the experience depends on who happens to be there that night, and it's not the same every time you go.

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I’m not sure this will be helpful at all but I think expectations go a long way, so maybe managing expectations would help?

I think I’d go into the bar scene just like any place where you want to meet guys to date, approach people with the expectation that at least you’ll have a good conversation, maybe make a friend, maybe meet a guy you think is hot who also thinks you are and then you’ll take that wherever you want to take it.

When I went out to gay bars on my own the first time after coming out I had this vision in my head of meeting a hot girl and getting into a really hot make out session... but instead I sort of just ended up meeting people I enjoyed chatting with. I met a trans guy and his friends, he shared a lot with me about his journey, and then we partied all night together. I met a bi guy at another bar and we talked about our journeys coming out and he encouraged me to hit on girls. And then we became fb friends. And then I met a drag queen at another bar and we had a really entertaining conversation, he laughing at me in a friendly way for my poor skills in finding women.

I ended up feeling really good, didn’t meet a girl, but I think if I’d had more time to go back to those same bars (this was in my hometown and I had to go back home), I would have maybe had the right mix of expectations and confidence and would have approached a woman I found interesting and hit it off...

Again, not sure that’s helped much! When I go to bars now I get hit on sometimes and I think it’s because I’m in a really good mood and just enjoying being out with friends and putting out good energy. I don’t reciprocate with those women because I’ve got a partner...

#7 baristajedi, Aug 23, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    looking for me, SevnButton and DRobs like this.
  8. DRobs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there more than 1 gay bar around? I've been to a couple bars I didn't enjoy and found another one I did.
    Sometimes you start at 1 bar and catch a ride (taxi / Uber) to different one.

In my 20's I used to be somewhat or a regular at gay bar called Hunters in the suburbs of Chicago. If the bar was boring I'd go play pool and have fun doing that plus I made some friends doing that as well.

Normally with bar pool you play to keep the table. People will play for low $ or drinks. I had one guy that wanted to play for a BJ. I smiled but turned him down...

9. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess you're not "sex-positive" enough!

10. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Gay bars are surprisingly sparse around here. The one I've been going to is about 35 miles away, and from an on-line search it looks like the next one is about 65 miles more.

DRobs likes this.
  11. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    HI Baristajedi -
    Yes, your post is helpful, thank you! I know what you mean, imagining the first visit to the gay bar leading to a passionate making-out! Me too. But what I'm really looking for is to connect with people the way you described. I've been going straight from work to the bar, so maybe I come off looking too straight?
    How do I start a conversation and pivot to, "What was it like for you to come out?" without it seeming weird?

12. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it doesn’t really matter how you are dressed, it’s more about what you say and how you approach people.

Those conversations I had started with making a step at being vulnerable... like the bi guy at the bar, shortly into the conversation I said something like I was really trying to meet women, I’m just coming out.... so he started sharing things with me. The drag queen, it was the same, i came in and noticed there were no girls except one lesbian couple, so I ordered a drink, turned to the person next to me and said I can’t find women, do yo guys know where the women are?

And you can have personal conversations without jumping into coming out, it’s always seemed to me that when I offer something vulnerable,it’s usually returned.

Do you also have meet ups and other social events around you for lgbtq people? That might be a way to make the kinds of connections you’re looking for.