1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure anymore what to do

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well her feelings are valid also. Good luck to you. Maybe counseling will help you guys talk these issues out in a helpful way.

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup and we’ve always been very much aware and caring towards each other’s needs. I’m not sure where I stated I had no concern for my partner’s needs. You’ve made a presumption, and a pretty massively wrong one at that.

Is it not ok to have emotional responses and needs as well if you are supporting someone dealing with huge emotional crisis? Or is only ok to only support that person with no regard for self st all? And how are people in my position supposed to cope if we not even once acknowledge our own needs? I can’t only support someone and not care for the things I feel great need for myself.

It’s a good thing my partner thinks my needs are important... she knows I rarely talk about my needs but she still tries to understand tgem. She also thinks I’m incredibly supportive, and sees that I’ve supported her through everything no matter how difficult.

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She does understand, she knows from all the things we’ve experienced and all of our conversations how massive it has been for me finally being myself. And we’ve talked a bit about my sexual feelings now, and she completely understands everything, although I don’t talk about everything as strongly as I feel it, because I am worried about hurting her,.... there’s a lot I just don’t know how to bring up.

And also her experience has felt different to her than mine...she feels more sexually fluid, like she’s evolved to feel this strong need to be with a woman whereas I have denied my sexuality my whole life, and I’ve always been very much gay.

4. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She has actually said similar things to me, that she feels more ok when she’s looking after me.

But of course that’s not always the place she’s in,sometimes she really needs strand comfort or space.

I am more than happy to care for her in every way she needs. I just have this really big conflicting sense of self that is hanging there... I’ve changed my life to acknowledge my sexuality, and now I just don’t know if this is ever possible for me with her again. I hate the person that makes me seem to be (an uncaring parter) but I also know it’s not possible to go through life ignoring my needs. I’ve already made massive changes in response to that.

5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made a thread about this but I’m posting it here too...

Something I just thinking about since making this thread; I've been afraid for the past 10 months to acknowledge that I have feelings, that I’m hurt and sad and scared and that everything feels exhausting, stressful and difficult since my partner’s ex has passed away. I’ve been afraid to express it partially because I want to be the one strong thing in my partner’s life to keep her going. I’m afraid to say it because I don’t want to be selfish. I’m afraid to say it because it makes me feel guilty. And I’m afraid to be told my feelings aren’t valid.

So I made this post, and I’m being told by a couple of people (@Morse Code and @Linning) that my feelings aren’t valid. I welcome whatever response anyone wants to make to my posts, but it just reinforces my sense that that’s what I’m expected to do, that I’m not supposed to have feelings in this situation.

When I cried at my partner’s ex’s funeral I knew everyone was looking at me, thinking why is she crying? My heart is broken for her kids and for my partner. And I’m f*ing angry, that he abandoned them, yes I know I’m not supposed to feel that either.

I’m not in an easy position but I swallow my feelings *all the time*. No one understands how much pain I’m in as well, because she’s the one who’s supposed to be in pain, and also - I know that my partner’s dealing with something so massive, so I keep my pain to myself.

Things that we are deciding together as a couple scare the hell out of me sometimes. I’ve done so many things I instinctually feel aren’t really that great for me in our decisions together. Sometimes the things my partner needs make me worry for my daughters feelings, I work really really hard to balance my daughters wellbeing with my partner’s sons’ wellbeing, with my partner’s wellbeing. And if I’m lucky, I leave a little bit of room to think about myself. I have given up so much, decisions about where we’ll live, the way we all do things as a family, things I’d rather wait to do later or want to do sooner...because I want my partner to get comfort and security that she so badly needs right now.

In the meantime I feel extraordinary sadness about his passing, I’m well aware that my partner feels so much more of that sadness, but I also feel worry about my future and my daughter’s future because some of our decisions have left me teetering on a very wobbly spot where I am fairly certain it will work out for us but there’s a bit of a risk. Why am I doing all of this and not taking time to care for me all that much? Because I so very much want my partner to be ok.

But it’s exhausting and stressful, and it’s f*ing heartbreaking too, heartbreaking feeling like my partner may not love me the way she used to, and yes heartbreaking that our sex life has suffered and she isn’t wanting intimacy anymore.

I’m sad and exhausted and scared. My partner has broken up with me 6 times in her past 10 months because she struggles with being a stepmom to my daughter. But then we talk and her panic goes away and I promise it will all be calm and ok and we’ll make changes that will make things easier, and then I work my ass off to keep that promise. ...and then she panics again...

I am so exhausted and I’m working so hard. And I have started cracking and finally taking about me a little bit.

When I brought up my sexuality to my partner I was in tears. When I told her I was struggling with what was happening to us, I said I hate that I’m burdening you with my feelings, I’m so sorry, but I am feeling this because I’ve only come out so recently coufo and this is a massive part of myersand I just don’t know what to do anymore.

Like I said I do invite the responses whatever they are to my posts, but those really struck me in a particular way. I don’t know the point in saying all of this, I suppose I’m just letting out some feelings.

#25 baristajedi, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  6. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @baristajedi -
    Keeping in mind that I'm hearing only your perspective, I still get the definite perception that you're carrying more than your share of the load. That's totally OK if that's what works. Your posts are very insightful, and you seem like an impressively together person. To the notion that you shouldn't feel the things you're feeling, I instinctively say "bulls**t". It's really important to listen to your feelings so that you can address them.
    Hugs-
    =Sevn

7. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Baristajedi

As someone who has been lucky enough to share your journey over the last couple of years, I have to think that you are not a selfish person. You have always seemed to try and put others needs in a high priority. So much so that I think it was at a detriment to your growth (at least as you were leaving your marriage). I know that you will proceed with love and compassion for your partner.

Your needs are real. Living with the possibility that maybe the opportunity for sexual satisfaction will not be a possibility can be a very disturbing thing. I know that when I thought, at one time, that I would never get to experience intimacy with a man how badly I felt. It scares me to think I could go back to that feeling again and re-live how I felt. So, your feelings are so valid.

That said, I hope you and your partner can work on rebuilding the intimacy and her "lust". This can be really hard. It might not happen for her. I know my wife just cannot feel lust any longer. To be honest, I had forgotten how it felt to be with someone where the desire for each other was so compelling until I had the chance, recently, with a man. My wife and I are working hard at trying to rebuild this for her. But, it is a lot of work and takes a lot of patience.

Just don't beat yourself up for how you feel.

8. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    All of your feelings are valid and your needs are valid too. It's not inappropriate for you to mourn either. Self care is absolutely vital no matter what path you choose. You cannot carry on long term and ignore yourself or numb out. I guess you could, but you'll be watering your own problems and wind up needing extensive therapy.

I haven't been in your shoes in a partnership, but I relate to needing to be real and embracing who you are. I get sexual fustration and feel it so much right now. I have embraced who I am and want to live that out. I would struggle if I was in your shoes.

All relationship will become uneven with one person needing more support, but this should be a bit more like a see-saw. If one person needs all the support all the time for months or even years and the other gives all the support, people will burn out. There's also the issue of her being dependent on you, rather than caring for her needs or emotions. It's so easy to do when we're hurting and need relief or someone we love is hurting. None of this mean you or her are bad, selfish, undeserving, or whatever. It just means she needs help beyond what you can give, and you need care beyond what she can give at this time. You are partners, not her care giver, so some of the load needs to be taken off you. Your needs need care too. Whether you find an outlet, make a compromise, get some space for a time, find acceptance of your situation, or whatever else.

What is best for you, I can't say really. Each person and couple are different.

It sounds like you both need individual therapy asap.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    first of all love HUGS. this seems like an untenable position in so many ways. yes you do have needs, strong needs and yes you need to care for yourself. I know you and I know how much you love her and her kids. I'm guessing the couples therapy didn't help, or are you still on the wait list for that?

it isn't selfish to be concerned for yourself, its probably the most healthy thing you can do for you and those you love. the whole cant care for others if you don't care for yourself. I did the whole me on the back burner to me off the stove entirely, its crushing and then your not as good, helpful, or nurturing to those you put yourself aside for in the first place.

now I know this isn't for everyone, but have you thought about Polyamory? its also known as Ethical Non-Monogamy, everyone consents, everyone communicates actually that's the biggest part of making multiple relationships work, communications. this is a good site to research things at. he's selling books and seminars but he does have a lot of great information on there for free. https://www.morethantwo.com/ . this is something ive been exploring for myself over the past couple months, even go to support groups and socials. (note they're not some sort of open sex socials. just like drinks, or once we had a board game social at a café). it is something to consider, maybe?