1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning to school in 2 days - how can I make my last year a good one?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe2001, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It all kind of depends on what you want out of this school year. Do you want to engage with the populars, do things you haven't done? If so, I follow other advice on trying things that you think you may regret not doing. Other than that, what helped me on my last year of school was that I took care of most of my credits before then so I could give myself a simple year. I had no interest in going to the prom or any of that so I didn't do it. Occasionally I wonder what I missed out on, but I don't think it was much.

2. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking for more of a social life and new challenges. Just want to enjoy it. The last 6 years have been a bit miserable in one way or another.

My head of year says that she is worried that I am isolated from the rest of the year group. Not sure what to do with that.

As for the prom, I missed the one last year and regret it. There is another one at the end of this year. Going to keep my fingers crossed that I can go and take a guy as a date to officially wrap up my school experience.

#22 Joe2001, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there a support group at your school or in your community for GLBTQ? There was at my school (U.S.) and it seemed to help a lot of people.

4. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope - there is not. The most we have is a Stonewall sign telling people to "Come Out for LGBT". Not much in terms of LGBT support.

5. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What does the sign mean? Just to come out in general? They shouldn't expect people to be able to do that easily without a support system.

6. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a sign from Stonewall. Not really sure why it has been placed there, but I guess the meaning is to come out. I want to be out as I can't do another year in the closet, but I can't find a way to do it.

7. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's no number on it or anything? Have you considered calling the school anonymously to make sure it's not some type of invitation to a group/event? Sorry I just don't understand why they would have that sign up for no reason, especially when it's phrased specifically "Come out FOR GLBT" rather than just, "Come out, GLBT" or something along those lines. It sounds like an invitation to a specific event or group meeting of some sort.

8. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There was one thing that made today good. On my way home, I saw a gay couple holding hands. Made me feel very happy and I hope to be like that one day.

9. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thought of a way to make it better. Look into a better future on cruise ships doing a job I love with plenty of friends and colleagues from around the world.

Quite frankly, this school is a hopeless case. I wish I could transfer somewhere else.

#29 Joe2001, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  10. tystnad

tystnad Guest

There's nothing weird about not having had a relationship yet. i'm 24, and haven't even been close to a relationship. we all do things at our own pace. i'm not saying that to discourage you from looking for love or anything, just a reminder that it doesn't determine your worth or whether things are going 'right'. don't put too much pressure on yourself for that :slight_smile:

Unfortunately i don't have any concrete tips because these things vary greatly depending on where you live and what is offered locally. I was engaged in an art community that was mostly online but we had meetups frequently where we could collaborate on art and i'd hang out with people i met that way. Later in college i met some great people through off-campus classes like an improv class at the local theatre and in a youth group of a local political party. A lot of larger cities have youth events, clubs, sports organizations, etc. Anything that forces you to interact (i.e. sports done in a group or a class with group work) is easiest because you can't just stand on the side and wait for others to do the work - you HAVE to interact. But it really depends on what your location has to offer and also on what you like! Sorry I can't be of more help there

Is there a reason why you'll be closeted this year? i don't want to pressure you to come out at all, this is something you should do when you're ready for it. But if it's something that really gets in the way of improving your situation, it is something to consider. Coming out doesn't have to be anything huge, you don't have to stand up in front of your class and say 'hey everyone i'm gay' - it could also be wearing rainbow pins or whatever, something that is not a perfectly clear statement but also won't make you feel like you're actively hiding something anymore (that made a HUGE difference for me personally - even though i didn't tell anyone i was gay, i felt like i wasn't carrying it around as a secret anymore). coming out, too, can feel like a huge step, so break it up into smaller steps if you're not ready to go all out at once. Especially if you want to go to prom with a guy eventually it might be easy to have some baby steps out of the way to relieve some of the pressure surrounding that (+ it's a lot easier to find a date if people at the very least suspect you're gay!). But, again, only do that if you want to. You're absolutely under no pressure to do so otherwise :slight_smile:

11. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want to get picked on by anyone, but I am still at the same school as my sister. If I came out, she would probably hear and then tell my parents. I want to be out, but I just can't tell them. I also just don't really know of any ways to come out without publicly announcing it, which seems a bit silly.

12. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is the sign:
    [​IMG]

#32 Joe2001, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  13. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't want to sound overly dramatic but I am feeling close to a bit of a breakdown. During the holidays, I did have a lot of time to think my problems through, but now that I am back at school, all the pressure is on me again and I am hanging onto this secret.

14. Joe2001

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This thread is a month old but personally, I'm now just feeling very checked out. No new opportunities. Just exams and constant requests to volunteer at school events.