1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure anymore what to do

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Aug 21, 2018.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there everyone.... I am going to come off awful and selfish in this thread. But if I want candid honest responses, I have to bring the honesty myself...

A lot of you are familiar with my back story, but I’ll give it in brief.

Closeted whole life, married, had a kid.

Then at 36 I came out, took a lot of time to consider what I should do, then husband and I separated but very slowly made changes to our living situation. In the meantime I met a woman and fell in love, she was also coming out, married had 2 kids. At 38, last July I finally moved out from family home and my girlfriend and I started living together. 3 months later, her kids’ dad took his own life. And for nearly the last year we’ve just been dealing with this train wreck of circumstances.

I consider myself lucky, my partner is incredible, wonderful, I want to spend my life with her. But she’s grieving, and that impacts everything.

Ok her goes the asshole in me.

I’m nearly 40. I came out 3 1/2 years ago, and I only just started to feel joy in my identity, have sex that felt natural, feel desired by a woman, express desire to a woman when everything suddenly changed.

Her grief, it has impacted that experience drastically.

Before the gasps of shock horror, please let me say, I am dedicated and I am loving and patient and I have been giving and still want to give so much to this relationship. This woman is so wonderful, and I love her so much.

But I feel a bit.....so many words come to mind... conflicted, repressed, horny (sorry for the tmi).

I can’t stop my sexual life, I can’t end this journey here. This is not the way I want to live the rest of my life....

We have sex still, but based on our conversations, the way things are week to week, her mood and mine, my understanding of my sexual future with her ranges from very optimistic like, it will gradually come back to what it was or something equally beautiful, to something in the middle like maybe it will never be the same but it will get better, maybe it will take 5 years? And all the way to very bleak, like right, we will never have real sexual joy ever again.

It goes up and down currently, someone’s it’s almost like it used to be, sometimes there’s nothing for stretches of time.

Now, here’s the next level of asshole in me... I have a solution in mind, and thinking about it makes me feel extraordinarily selfish. I’ve been thinking lately, what if I could talk to her about having a little openness to our relationship? Not full on sex, but very heavy making out and grinding on girls in clubs? I mean well that’s how I visualise it on my head, approaching a girl in a club and making out for hours.

I have also considered what we can do within our relationship to meet both of our sets of needs, and those talks with her have been super positive, but the reality is ....she’s so sad and I just don’t think she has it in her to do the things we discussed on a consistent basis... we talked about her pleasuring me a few times a week, or giving me a hand when I do it for myself, when here are stretches of time where we don’t have sex.

I honestly have this on my mind the entire day and night every waking moment. It is not very different from the feelings I had when I first came out and found myself in an impossible situation with my (now ex) husband.

I feel stuck and selfish and I worry for my wellbeing in this relationship, which is supposed to be a lifelong monogamous relationship, at least that’s what we’ve been saying for some time now.

Ok, I’m ready for whatever you want to say, I feel pretty shit for these feelings but the truth is I just need to regain control of my journey in my sexuality... and I just feel a bit stuck right now.

2. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Baristajedi

I, sorta, know how you feel. Part of the reason, well the largest part of the reason, that I seek intimacy with men is that my wife just isn't into sex any longer. It is really biological and not grief. But, I am not sure the end result is a lot different. So, here I am, as horny as I have ever been in my life and looking for some fulfillment. The same as you are.

I feel like an ass sometimes. I have friends that have similar situations and they just live with it. But, as you, so much of this later in life coming out involved becoming sexual with my same sex needs. It's an important need.

All I can offer is that I try and be the best partner, in every other way I can, to my wife. I also let her know that my needs are not being fulfilled and I don't blame her for that. It just is. So, communicate to her that you have these needs and ask her how you can be there for her and if she is OK with the situation you describe for an open relationship. I have found that getting my needs met makes me a better lover for my wife (even though the sex part of intimacy is more limited). There is so much less urgency in getting my needs met. So, maybe there is a win win in this for you....I don't know.

But, don't beat yourself up for how you feel. Just be honest about it. That's what we owe our partners the most.

3. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can’t really offer any advice but if you did open up the relationship, do you think you can stop at just kissing etc? You sound pretty sexual and crave the intimacy that you had before so you could end up cheating. It could also effect the trust between you. I don’t think I could handle my gf doing anything with someone else. It’s a tough one, not sure there is a definite solution. Hugs.

4. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you talking about July a month ago or July a year ago? Either way, your girlfriend has just lost someone she cared about, someone who was the father of her child, her kid lost his father and no doubt that she probably (unreasonably) feel guilty for it due to the timing of how it all happened. Your relationship is probably a mirror of what happened constantly reminding her of what happened and what could have happened had she not left him for you.

I think right now is the time to actually focus on helping her overcome her grief. Seeing a professional could help her. What are you doing to make her life and grief more bearable?

You need to put yourself in her shoes, if your ex husband had passed away and left you in the sole care of your kids and their grief and the guilt/stress that come with it would you be in the mood for sex and love having your girlfriend nag you for it?

Yes sex is important in a relationship but sex is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and if your partner wouldn't find it fun and enjoyable she shouldn't have to feel pressured to do it (and you shouldn't want to have to try and find ways to have her do it. ) Opening up your relationship because you are upset you aren't getting any when she is grieving and you should be supporting her is probably bound to negatively affect your relationship. It sure would if I was your gf. Remember that one day you might go through a tough patch and may not be keen for sex. Would you love it if your girlfriend took off to a bar to grind on another girl?

Grinding and making out with other women wouldn't solve your sexual frustration anyway, you would get turned on and then what?

You need to figure out if you love your gf enough to support her while her sexuality return (which may or may not happen) or if your sex urges are stronger and in this case splitting up and doing your own exploring might be more advisable.

Bicchi likes this.
  5. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hi Nick, i feel like you understand pretty well what I’m feeling. The fact that this is where my journey just kind of stops, given that i have finally found a small glimpse of fulfilment is pretty difficult to bear. And as you understand this is about much more than sex, it’s about my identity, about finally coming to a place where I give myself what I need, where I am able to be true to this part of me.

I’ve read most of your posts, so I know you’ve opened up your marriage, but if you don’t mind me asking, what are the things you’re able to do with guys? How intimate can you be?

My partner would likely think this is awful and not be even slightly ok with it. I just feel like it’s getting to a point where I choose my sexuality or I choose my partner. I’m not sure I can have both. Considering I completely changed my life to be able to live openly and embrace my sexuality, it’s left me feeling pretty conflicted.

I love her so much, but I also feel that if I don’t consider these needs, I will not be ok at all... I don’t know how to move forward, honestly.

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually don’t think I’d need to go further than what I described, but I think that would be too much for her.

Here’s the thing though...I think she wouldn’t mind having a break from worrying about my sexual needs, so theoretically, it would be the best thing for both of us, but she won’t be happy about it, so I’m just not sure what my options are. I want to find a way for us to both be ok.

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was expecting that someone who’s never read any of my posts would see this post as a horrendous horrible thing, and I’m ok with it because - well I know precisely how selfless, patient, loving and giving I am. I also know that the feelings I have about sex and my sexuality are valid, I have only just started to be able to express who I am sexually and by being in this life with her, I’m contemplating giving it up entirely for the rest of my life.

To answer each of your points/questions:

This happened July a year ago.

Everything you say about how deep and painful this is for my partner, I’m totally aware and in touch with that. My heart aches all the time at the pain she’s in. I feel it deeply and I show that through my constant dedication to our life as a family, it’s stressfful, exhausting and painful but I only show her love, patience and care, constantly. I have only started thinking about my needs roughly 3 weeks ago... as a human I finally cracked and started to consider the valid real feelings I also have.

In terms of helping her overcome her grief, i spend every night checking in with whet she needs, every day doing whatever I can to be a constant support for her. If you asked her she would tell you I am a rock and a total source of support for her. I never ask for my needs to be considered, until recently when we talked about the sexual side of things that I mentioned here, just a few days ago.

As proof if that, she asked me why she’s never known this all the time that she’s been grieving. And I said why would I bring up these needs all this time?

I put like100% of my energy into making her grief more bearable, that is pretty much what I do all day long. No matter how hurtful, difficult or painful, that’s what I do.

I totally put myself in her shoes all the time and I get all those feelings you mentioned, none of this is news to me, it’s something I’m aware of all the time. I don’t really struggle with being a shitty partner, I struggle with caring for myself. I haven’t mentioned in this post all the stress and pain I’m going through in terms of my own life stuff...I also have needs and feelings but I pretty much put most of them aside because I know how difficult all of this has been for her, so in answer to the part about putting myself in her shoes, yup, check, I do that.

For s the last parts, I don’t really need to be guilted into thinking that my sexual needs are shallow, this is about a very real, very valid set if needs that I’m struggling to deal with precisely because I do care so much about my partner that I sacrifice my needs for her, and this is a time in my life where this is particularly painful for me to sacrifice these particular needs. This hits a pretty deep painful part of my core, having the history I have of being closeted and not having ever been able to be myself in this way.

As you say her sexuality may never return... that’s scary to me, I want to be with her for life, but I also want to be myself in my life and for all of my future.

#7 baristajedi, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  8. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I’m not sure what to suggest, just mentioning to her re opening up the relationship etc could cause a bigger gap between you. Is she seeing a therapist?

9. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had you carefully read my posts you would see that I acknowledge that your feelings towards your lack of sex life are valid concerns and feelings but that I believe are your own feelings to deal with and consider.

Sex is supposed to be consenting so if she doesn't want it/doesn't feel like it, there is unfortunately not much you can do, apart from either accepting her feelings and settling for potentially a sexless life with the hope that it's only temporary or you can decide according to your feelings that it is too much and move on to someone/something that will fulfill you/your needs more. You might also want to try and suggest couple therapy (though I believe she probably should attend sessions of her own first) or opening up your partnership but those are options who can and may build a bridge between you two and incrsinc the problem.

#9 Lin1, Aug 21, 2018
  10. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She was seeing a therapist, but now she’s not. She is planning to get on a waiting list though to go again, but I’m pretty sure it will be a long time before she gets into the system.

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yes they are my own feelings to deal with, but plenty of people consider a variety of ways to deal with their sexual needs in a relationship, it doesn’t have to be as black and white as stay together without sexuality or break up. I don’t want to break up, but I do need to be sexual. If I could be sexual with her I’d rather do that of course. I never pressured her to do anything sexually, I brought up my feelings with her for the first time finally, and said if she feels able to, these are the things that would help. She said I’m so glad you told me exactly what you need, this is something I can do. And that’s what I mean when I say our talks have been super positive, because she gets that I would never pressure her, she gets that I care so much about her needs, I also know she cares deeply about mine. And she wants to maintain intimacy and romance and sex with me. So she felt what I suggested was a good thing to help us maintain that. But I also know, just simply from knowing her and knowing how her highs and lows go, that she may just not be able to do those things, she may just be too sad, tired or stressed. It hit home again last night because she was just so sad, I laid with her on the floor for hours holding her. It was just a reminder that the needs I have are something she can’t really connect to right now, and this is likely just going to be a case of either I put aside my needs for hers or well... I don’t know the alternative because I am not leaving her, I love her and I really don’t want to throw away our future.

We are in couples therapy. And I do think she and probably myself as well should be in counselling each on our own, we are both working on it for ourselves. We haven’t brought up sex with the couples therapist yet, we’ve only gone 3 times so far.

#11 baristajedi, Aug 21, 2018
  12. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @baristajedi -
    It's OK that you have needs to, even while your partner is still grieving. In fact, it's healthy. But you described the dilemma really well.

It reminds me of the little talk on airplanes, before the plane takes off: "If oxygen masks come out, put yours on first and then help people around you". At some point, you need to take care of yourself in order to keep helping your partner. You have to decide what that means.

Love, light, and hugs-
    =Sevn

Cinnamon Bunny likes this.
  13. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is where I’m stuck - deciding what that means.
    I’ve been feeling lately like I can’t maintain supporting her, going through the daily stresses of dealing with the children, worrying constantly about my daughter and about things with my ex, without considering myself at all.... we made so many changes once her ex passed which exacerbated all those stresses and a lot of those changes required me to give up *alot*. But I think that I can’t cope anymore unless I put some care into myself. This journey in coming out and finally being me has been so massive, I just feel like I can’t lose myself, I need to do something to be sure I don’t lose me in all of this. I wish I could just work out what I could do to make sure that doesn’t happen. I’m just stuck at this one point...

#13 baristajedi, Aug 21, 2018
  14. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like she's dealing with some serious shame and grief here. She might feel responsible for this happening (her husband killing himself). Now her children are without their father and she has all of that to deal with. Suicide is a tough thing. I agree with doing your best to help her and giving it more time. This might sound harsh and I really hope it doesn't, but you have to understand how all of this sounds; your talking about your own sexual needs not being fulfilled while someone else is grieving. Have you thought about couples' counseling? Maybe someone geared toward GLBTQ people. It might help. She definitely needs counseling of some sort. I wish you well with this.

15. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can understand why you feel the way you do. To have worked so hard and waited so long for something, only to have a core part of it taken away, must be difficult, particularly when you know what you're missing.

You don't want to leave her. So, as @Lia444 says, will suggesting opening up your relationship a little make things worse? Particularly, as you feel she's not going to be keen on the idea. Will it give you short-term relief, but cause further issues that will result in lack of sex in your relationship being drawn out for longer?

How long do you foresee this issue continuing? Is it worth waiting another six months to see if things improve, or do you feel that you need to find a solution sooner? If you don't find a solution, do you see this causing distance and resentment in your relationship?

16. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do get why it *sounds* selfish, and I do get why it might *appear* shallow. But I also know that it’s not, I know that what I’m feeling is valid and that these are real needs beyond just normal need for a bit of sex.

We are in couples counselling.

SevnButton likes this.
  17. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I posted here... I knew that some people would read this and think I’m a horrible selfish person but I also knew a lot of you would have read my whole journey, and would understand why this is something I’m struggling with and also know that I’m a caring giving partner.

I think the opening up idea is one that comes from desperation... I’d rather work things out with her to be in a better place together. I’m just struggling to work out how to do that with her, and particularly in how to be sensitive to her needs but not completely lose mine.

18. Nickw

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Baristajedi

I think it is hard for those that have not walked in your shoes to understand just how important the sexual aspects are when we've spent our lives trying to be something we really aren't. I sometimes feel so shallow when I read my posts. That I have asked my wife for this thing. How can it be so important that you ask this of the person you love the most. I don't think anyone who hasn't been where we have can understand.

You asked about agreement with my wife. Basically, it was anything but intercourse. If I want that, she needs to meet and approve the guy. We've done that...I had a fling with a young man...still occasionally ongoing. He's too young for the relationship to be anything but a friendship...so that was important. She is also fine with me if I did hook up with a couple of other married guys who are out. Otherwise it is light fooling around with my biking and climbing buddies.

Sexist comment coming....in my experience it is easier to find men willing to do the casual thing.

I am also only looking for men. I'm bisexual. So far, I am using gay sex to fill this void. If I need a woman my wife would have a problem with this. But, the difference is that I don't tie my sexuality to having sexual with women. So, it's not the same need we both have...that we are teenagers in gay life and are too young for celibacy.

19. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get that. I don't doubt that love, connection, sexual fulfilment, etc. all with the one, same person is what you really want.

As your girlfriend was in heterosexual relationship previously too, does she understand why this element of your relationship is so important? Why its absence is so significant to you? Have you discussed all of this with her?

20. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @baristajedi, here's another thought that I'll pass along in case it's useful for you.

An aunt and uncle of mine were in their declining years. My aunt started her decline first, showing signs of dementia. My uncle did his best to take care of her. Then his health started to fail and suddenly my aunt started to do a whole lot better. It seemed that it was beneficial for her to put more effort toward her husband.

Perhaps your partner would also do better if she better understood that you need to be taken care of too. If I'm doing the math right, it's been 10 months since the death of her ex. With all the cues of the season, her grief will likely increase on the anniversary of his death, hopefully followed by a period of healing. Part of her healing could be to give you more of the care you need.

Now for the disclaimer: I have no qualifications for offering my thoughts, other than a life of experiences.

Wishing you well-
    =Sevn