Dad going into hospice care

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CentFLGuy, Aug 21, 2018.

1. CentFLGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, my dad is going into home hospice care within a day or 2. He was diagnosed with dementia due to hydrocephalus 2.5 years ago and received a shunt implant. He battled through some serious health issues right afterwards and was doing fairly well until receently... falling, not eating, very very weak, etc. He was evaluated by his doctor at home this morning and they've decided he needs to go in home hospice as his condition is now entering worsening phase.

I hate seeing my dad like this.. he has always been a very strong (and stubborn!) guy that has just been weakened so much. He is 82 and lived a rough, but good life and I'm blessed to live close to my parents as we've remained very close as I've grown up. Dementia, like so many other diseases takes a terrible toll not only on the patient, but family and friends. It is like inch by inch..they slowly fade and knowing it could take quite sometime before they pass. My parents love each other deeply and I have so much respect and love for them both.

I remember when I came out.. they both were distraught at first, upset, and angry for a few days.. but have accepted my being gay and they have been my fiercest allies.

Sorry for the post.. just needed to vent.. was such a nice sunny day until now

2. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to hear this. I can't imagine what you're going through.

3. CentFLGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you.

Phoenixaaa likes this.