1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender neutral names

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ente, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Ente

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My official name is Sara, but I find it too feminine for me. I like when people 'don't know if I'm a woman or a man' because I'm none of those. So they just call me She or He at random. I like it when they just aren't sure I'm feminine like everyone else.
    But when I introduced myself as Sara everyone gendered me as female. I don't hate the name itself, I hate that it helps people misgendering me.
    When I write stories or online I sometimes call myself Alex (but in my country it is usually a male name) or some name that I haven't heard before, so it can be a gender neutral name. Ente is one of my fav.

Should I present myself as Sara, Ente or Alex? If someone calls me Sara on the street I know it's me, maybe if I go by other name it's hard to get used to it. And all the official papers and the name I'm called by to enter an exam at university...

This year I'm starting a Bachelor's degree in which most students are male, so I'm going to be "the woman", last year there were only 3 women and 97 men. If I don't say my name everything will be alright but when the find out I'm Sara I will be "the woman".

What can I do? Do you know any other gender neutral name in Spanish?

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Finding gender neutral names in Spanish is difficult because Spanish is inherently focused on assigning gender to words and stuff. From what I've seen, if you want something that is as close to gender neutral as possible you might have to go with something based on a nickname. Like the name Dani, which could be short for Daniela, Daniel, Danielle and some other names but you of course could use it for yourself. I hope you find what you're looking for

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some I found on a Spanish website
    Angel (could be that or Angela or Angelo)
    Ariel (some places is more F or more M)
    Sasha (same as above, somehow short for Alexander)
    Jules (Julia, Julius)
    Val (Valentine, Valentino)
    Gabe (Gabriel, Gabriella)
    Rio (meaning River)

---
    Latin unisex:

Camille
    Claude
    Francis
    Kristen
    Olli

More on Latin:
    Latin (Spain is a Romance Language) has a system of the first born girl taking the fathers name and putting -a on the end. A feminine male name ending can be made masculine by putting -us. Maybe try this on some names to see if it sounds nice and more neutral.