1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress eating

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Shallow waters, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have noticed that when I become stressed I eat large amounts of food. I am trying to get healthy but everytime I get stressed I wanna eat. I have been able to keep myself from doing it sometimes but I still always want to eat the stress away. Can anyone give me tips on how to stop this? I didn’t notice I did this till I started thinking about becoming more healthy and payed attention to what I was eating.

Tl;dr: Can anyone give tips on how to stop myself from feeling the need to eat after getting stressed?

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Replacing it with another way of reducing stress is the best way. For many people exercise or hitting a punching bag or whatever reduces their stress and they no longer feel the need to overeat. Drinking a lot of water reduces appetite too.

#2 Destin, Aug 14, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. smurf

Big thing for me here.

Until you learn a different coping strategy, try to stress eat healthier stuff.

So instead of stress eating a bag of chips, eat a bag of popcorn. Not the healthiest, but far healthier than a bag of chips. I started buying cherries and freezing them. Then you can eat them and they almost taste like candy. You can also eat to your hearts content or until you feel sick, which happens with cherrys so its a natural stopping point for me.

Peanuts, bananas, and oranges work for me as well. Bag of carrots also works since they are fairly high in sugar, but again better than junk food.

Try to not beat yourself up when you do it. Just work on different coping skills and stress eat on healthier stuff while you get there.

4. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Move away from the food. The farther away you are from the food, the less likely you'll want to eat it. Plus it may seem like it's a burden to go and get the food.

5. NotRealMe

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh gosh... I eat A LOT when I'm stressed too. But I eat something healthy, not cupcakes or candys... Eating bananas is a great choice:ok_hand:. I could eat like 6 of them when stressed out.

6. CentFLGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm guilty of stress eating myself... I've switched to eating various fruits/veggies when I get stressed. I also purposefully don't buy junk food anymore because I can't eat it if it isnt in the house. Drinking water definitely will help. If I find myself wanting to stress eat, I get outside for a few, or pick up a book, almost anything to divert my attention from eating.