1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Crushes Damage Platonic Friendships?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kayl, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been crushing on this female classmate of mine for ten months now, and my feelings haven't changed as I've tried to push her out of my mind. We've become pretty good friends, and even seeing all of her flaws - and teasingly making fun of them - hasn't destroyed the non-platonic feelings. Back in April, I was seriously considering telling her how I felt. I was worried that keeping this crush from her going further into our friendship will damage it once I tell her or she finds out. Is that normal? I have no experience with telling friends that you like them non-platonically, so I don't know how they react. I don't think that my friend is the type to shut me out of her life for something like that, but it's hard to tell since it's a pretty big game changer in a relationship. Back then, I was almost prepared - there even came a moment with her when I thought about it and almost started talking - but I chickened out, and up to this point, I evidently haven't made any further moves. So what do I do from here on out? Right now, as we're still in summer, I haven't been seeing her regularly, last time we got together with other friends was a couple of weeks ago. I want to mentally prepare myself for going back to school and getting caught up in it all over again. Any advice is appreciated!

2. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate to say it, but usually yes. Not necessarily because of the friend freaking out over the crush - more because you're going to get upset with the friendship after a while because it's just a friendship and that's all it will ever be while in your mind you're always going to want it to be more than that. Even if the friend acts exactly the same it's going to get frustrating being stuck as only a friend which builds tension over the months/years and can cause unintended problems like getting mad at the friend for no reason out of frustration, which harms the friendship.

#2 Destin, Aug 16, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  3. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks. I know that I really can't know what I'm going to feel in the future, but right now, I'm not really sure where I'd want this relationship to go anyways. I'm still trying to figure out who I am, because I only started questioning in the last year. I can't really picture us dating, and I don't know if it's because I don't want it, don't expect it, or am not used to the idea of dating a girl. I've just really wanted to be her friend the past year, I barely knew if that was considered a crush or not. Now that I've achieved that, I guess I just want us to be as close as possible... and yet I don't know about dating. Is this weird? I have considered that I might be demisexual, and I don't know if that factors into this, but my crush seems a little different in nature compared to that of my peers. Does this make sense?

4. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    unless you can literally see the future, there's not much chance of predicting how that conversation would go since people are different in so many ways. I myself have a crush on a much younger woman that I work with, but I fully know that's all it'll ever amount to, and if I did try and act on it, I'd just lose her friendship.

not to sound all doom and gloom though, have you ever had a talk with her about what kind of a person she's looking for? that may be a way to get at least a hint of whether or not she has any thoughts herself about dating a woman or not.

5. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have done the confession thing quite a few times and it has never ever managed to break or change a friendship (for more than a day or two anyway), but that's because I do it in a low-key way and with no expectations whatsoever, and with our friendship remaining the same as the main goal.

Why don't you tell her in a matter-of-fact-way " I have been a bit confused about how I feel towards you lately, and think I might have developped a bit of a crush, I am obviously working towards tackling those feelings because I don't want our friendship to change but also wanted to let you know, so if I am acting weird or different, it's probably due to that."

I find this type of messages often work because you aren't having an " I like you, tell me how YOU feel" moment which is uncomfortable for everyone and put the other one on the spot, you just are saying "look I like you, I know it can affect our friendhsip and you might not feel the same but I just wanted to let you know because it can explain some of my recent behaviour." it's non-confrontational and less awkward and still leave room for the other person to confess their own feelings to you if they are going through the same ordeal.

6. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first few months that we knew each other, she seemed to make it pretty clear that she was straight. Our group of -entirely female- friends even jokes about platonic marriages between them, because they're just that comfortable that they can joke about sexuality. The past couple of months haven't been as much of that, and maybe it's just gone unsaid. However, a couple of the times that the topic was nudged, she didn't seem so sure of herself. I guess I can ask to further clear it up, but I don't think she's super close minded. Is there any way that I can subtly approach that without outright asking though? We aren't besties, so I don't know if there are boundaries or if there's a level of intimacy that I haven't reached with her yet.

I guess if I do decide to tell her, I would try to keep it as casual as possible, to make it as easy as possible to accept and move on. I wouldn't have any expectations of her, because I don't have hope that my feelings could be reciprocated. Thanks for the advice, that would probably be the way to go. I just need to figure out how to pull myself together enough to do it.

#6 Kayl, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  7. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    what I said earlier about just talking about it in general was as subtle as I could see it going without directly telling her you have feelings for her that you can't quite get your head around. I myself went the complete opposite direction when I was a teenager. one day out of the blue I told my best (male) friend that I'd had a sex dream about him. instead of it blowing up on me, we laughed about it a bit and ended up having sex. that situation may not be as helpful as advice goes since I wasn't trying to turn it into a relationship. I only brought it up to suggest the possibilities. whatever you may want your relationship to be with her, maybe just admitting to her that you have feelings for her that confuse you would be a good thing, maybe she feels the same.

8. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often, the reason we develop crushes is because nobody else is catching our attention. We've decided to make one person the object of our affection to the exclusion of all others and we take ourselves out of the 'game' in the hope of making it work with that one individual. In almost all cases it never will work, but we cling to hope anyway and get ourselves in a total bind as the crush develops more and more.

The best way to get past a crush is to start looking elsewhere. If you meet someone who cares about you and you invest the same effort in building a relationship as you do in crushing over someone who is out of reach there is great potential and a lot to gain, but you need to get yourself out of the loop first. It's especially important if a friend is your crush, because you want to normalise the boundaries of your friendship to avoid the complications and potential clashes that @Destin referred to in his post.

starmotive and Destin like this.
  9. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep, this. Hobbies, workouts, books, jobs... they can only go so far to divert your attention.

10. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I'm just worried about the chance - slim, but still possible - that she'll end our friendship. Yes, I know that if this happens, she isn't worth it and our friendship wouldn't have lasted. But it still feels like I have a choice, and whether our friendship has a 100% chance of lasting is up to me. It would still feel preventable, you know? I think, when I get the chance, I will approach the subject, and exactly in the manner that you described. The last thing I want is to heap on more awkwardness, to make it feel like I'm expecting her to reciprocate.

The thing is, I have noticed other people. Within the time period of this crush, I've thought about other people and my potential relationship with them, and whether it can be non-platonic. Not meaning to sound doom and gloom, but there's no way that somebody whom I'm interested in will have a mutual interest in me, and I don't expect that at this age. I wouldn't be ready to actually date anyone right now, even if I had the opportunity. And of course, when there's a crush, it comes down to comparison: am I more interested in this person than in my crush? Are they more intelligent? Humourous? Sociable? Of course, my crush being my friend, I'm probably going to choose her over a lot of people. I don't know how I can escape that mindset. Yes, we are all individuals, it being unfair to compare, but humans still do it anyways. I'm no different.

PurpleDude likes this.
  11. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If she's not in a relationship herself, then I think its all right to tell her you have feelings for her. If the friendship is important enough to her, she will not allow it to break you apart.

I've had a crush on a guy who didn't even want to be friends with me, and it destroyed me. Slowly. I'm still feeling the effects of it - that I was not good enough to be either a boyfriend or just a friend. But it sounds like you have been having a good friendship with this person, and if admitting you have a crush on her either brings you closer together or breaks you apart, then maybe that's just how its supposed to be.

12. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess that makes sense, instead of trying to control everything on my side. I think if put into her hands, our relationship would survive, because she is very accepting, and we are pretty close. But is it weird telling someone that you've had non-platonic feelings for them for most of the friendship? Because established platonic relationships are quite different from a non-platonic (at least on one side) one. You talk about different things and act differently around each other. Am I telling her that I've been lying to her all this time, at least by omission? As much as I've been trying to face it in my head and heart, it becomes more real when I say it out loud to her, and I want to be ready in case she rejects the friendship because of this. But you're right, it is up to her to react.

13. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all have times where it feels necessary to keep secrets. They are your feelings and you are allowed to keep them to yourself. One way of putting it is you didn't tell her because you didn't want to ruin the friendship and now you want to be more honest. Maybe you have tried keeping those feelings aside while focusing on being a friend, but those feelings have become stronger than you thought, and now you can't ignore them? Keeping things hidden from people we care about is not fun.

The way I see it is I already spent a big chunk of my life in the closet not being honest about liking men, so if I have feelings for a male friend I want to be honest about it. I don't want to go back to how I felt when I was hiding things, that feeling tires me.

14. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense, and it helps with the moral dilemna. It isn't as if I've been withholding this conversation because I wanted to deceive her. It really is draining to keep the secret, so it is better for both of us this way. Is it bad if I've also not come out to her yet, because I thought that was connected to my feelings for her? I mean, I'm still questioning right now, but I have told a few of my other friends, purposely excluding her because I've wanted her to assume I'm straight for the time being. I know it's up to me, but is that too much to put into a conversation? As I've been planning it, I didn't think so, since it's basically just "I like you, I'm not straight, I'm demi." But is that an overload of information, especially if she isn't expecting anything?

15. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just out of curiosity, why did you want her to think you were straight? Is it because you wanted a chance to get to know her as a friend, and you're not used to telling people about your sexuality?

I've done that myself in the past, because even after I came out, I found it difficult to fit in with other gay men, and if I became friendly with a straight guy, I tried as much as possible to not let him know that I was outright gay, because my experiences trying to be friends with gay men was quite negative and underwhelming, and if there was a chance i could be mates with a straight guy, I thought it would be all right to be ambiguous at least about my sexuality (ultimately it wasn't, because we ended up drifting apart)

So if that is the angle you are coming from, then put some thought into why you've avoided coming out to her up to this point. It might make it easier for you to answer any questions she has about your sexuality. She might even accept it outright when you tell her, but being prepared for the coming out conversation may be more important than telling her about your feelings for her at this point.

16. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never experienced it from your side of the fence but I have from the other side. In my twenties I had numerous female friends declare their undying love for me. I really tried not to let it affect the friendship and I failed. Particularly if there is some questions of a cross-orientation element to the crush I would recommend against the big reveal. I tried not to, but in every instance I felt disrespected. I felt like I was being told my friendship wasn't enough and frankly I felt like they had decided to take their problem and make it mine. It's funny because I could have gladly held them and been there for them through nights of crying and pining for someone else but I found I just couldn't be that person when I was the unrequited love. There were just too many roles to play in that scenario.

I'm about as open a book as you can be. I came out in the early nineties when most people I knew didn't even know anyone who was gay and I just kept right on out there. I've been open and out to everyone I know for over twenty-five years. I'm kind of an over-sharer truth be told--I'll tell strangers if I think they're attractive. And I think this sort of thing is probably something you should keep to yourself.

17. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are right, on both accounts. I've only come out to four people so far, one of them being my younger sister, the rest being my friends. I'm in a position where I don't think I can come out to my parents, since my mom is one of those "gays aren't my problem and they're attention seeking because they think they're so special" kind of people. I don't think I'm ashamed of who I am, but I just don't know how to go about telling people. I've only started questioning in the past year, and considering myself demi in the past few months. Naturally, I don't think it's so huge of a problem that most people in my life don't know, because I barely know myself. I'm not scared of coming out, of having that talk, but I only know how to do it with those who are closest to me (other than my parents.) One of my lesbian friends came out through a joke to most people, but I don't want to approach it as a casual thing with the people I know, because to me it's no small trifle.
    Our group of friends (one including me and my crush) has an unrealistic proportion of straights: between the seven of us, two are lesbians, one is ace, and one is bi. So I'm not too worried about how she'd react to my coming out; I have no doubts that she'd be very supportive. Yet, the combination of coming out, and telling her about the crush? That's when it starts to feel like a lot. So for now, the crush feels like more of a problem, especially if I've had these feelings for a while. If I didn't have this crush, I'm fairly confident that coming out would have been easier, and possibly done already.

18. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the advice; it's interesting to hear the other side's perspective. I think I'm still going to consider telling her, if only because there are a couple of key differences in my goal in telling her, and our relationship.
    Obviously, the last thing I want to do is to put any sort of expectations on my crush for her to reciprocate my feelings. I can accept and live with the fact that my crush will still be unrequited after I tell her; I haven't been super emotional about it and don't expect to be after I tell her, as long as she remains comfortable with our friendship. I don't feel the need to complain: going into this crush from day one, I knew that the only solution is to get over it. I'm not going to make this her problem, because it really is mine, if I want her as my friend. I hope to approach her as non-confrontational as possible, let her know that I've been trying to tackle my feelings and just wanted to make her aware of any possible weirdness, and then see how she responds. My goal is to unload as little as possible onto her, to make sure she knows that there's no pressure to respond. If it affects our relationship, then maybe I can't do anything about it: this is how I feel, and I'd feel guilty if we were to remain friends while I keep her in the dark about my feelings. If we are to be friends, then either way I have to come out to her, and I'd feel better if I were to not omit the fact that I'm attracted to her.
    In short, when I tell her, the ball is in her court: having all the information, she can decide what we are to each other, and whether or not she can live with my feelings for her. If this ruins everything between us, there's nothing I can do, or regret. If I continue the same way we were before this, but she can't, then it isn't my fault. I'll have done my best, and maybe I can move on.
    If I don't tell her, I'll continue to feel dishonest. I'll continue to feel like I'm lying to her, about both how I feel, and who I am. Yes, it's my problem, but it involves her. That will definitely affect our friendship, because I can't continue like this.

starmotive likes this.
  19. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kayl, I completely agree with all that you've said in your last message. A few months ago, I experienced the same as you do. I discovered that I had a crush for my best friend, the one who I had shared a lot of things, experiences, thoughts, feelings with. For a long time (even a few years) I denied myself the truth, as I perceived our friendship as a "platonic" relationship, and I hoped to forget that I really liked him not only in a emotional way. But I couldn't keep it, (he trusted me, and I felt me like a "traitor"), and finally I decided to tell him the truth. I had to. It was hard for me, as I know that probably he wouldn't get mad, but if he did, then I could understand it.

And his words were so revealing for me... That's why I'm telling this to you. Nowadays I'm still managing the situation, not because my friend's reaction was weird, but because I had to accept that I've been mistaken. He told me: "Ok, you like me. So what? You're one of my best friends. I don't want you to feel bad for this. Friendship in unconditional. Nothing will happen between us, yes, but I won't change our relation".

And I think he was right. Since then, I felt that the crush slowly dissapeared, and what survives is pure affection.

Maybe the first step is coming out to your friend. Your feelings are firstly based on emotional attraction, and that's the beginning of every friendship, and what you two have to preserve. And, if it's real friendship, a crush wouldn't ruin it.

Kayl and starmotive like this.
  20. Kayl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks, I really appreciate that message. That's very kind of your friend, and I agree that if the friendship is worth it, a crush shouldn't change a whole lot. I do think that it depends on the person, because different people react to such news in different ways. If I tell my crush about my feelings, but I make it sound like I want or expect reciprocation, then obviously there's a problem.
    It is true that I would put the friendship before anything, and I think that after telling her, I can start to put the crush behind me. Yet, would that be made any easier, as I get to know her even better, if I'm attracted to her personality and our emotional bond? The first step is probably to tell her, but I still wonder what comes after, assuming there will still be an after for our friendship. I hope my situation goes as smoothly as yours though.

Altanero likes this.