1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing to They/Them Pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hales, Aug 14, 2018.

1. hales

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i definitely identify as androgynous or genderqueer (not totally clear about the difference between the two... i love the word androgynous so usually that's my go-to), but i'm still using she/her pronouns. i present pretty masculine i think, but i have noticeable breasts so i usually am gendered female by those who don't know me. i'm curious if anyone has gone through the process of switching to they/them pronouns. it seems super intimidating to me, but also i don't truly identify with she/her pronouns. just curious about others' experiences in this area

Ente likes this.
  2. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I've kind of gone through the process. I use both they/them and he/him pronouns so I have it a little easier. What I've found works pretty well is just casually saying "I'm a they," when someone calls you "she". Granted this might confuse some people but it's a non-threatening, nonaccusatory way of correcting people.

hales likes this.
  3. Ente

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am agender but people refer to me as she/her. When it feels wrong I use other pronouns as they/them or even he/him when I think about myself. I think something that can help is starting to ask people online to use they/them pronouns and when you get confident enough with it try to introduce it to your friends and then to everyone. But I'm pretty lost with all this stuff too.

hales likes this.
  4. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could wear a badge that says “they/them” on it. I made a few badges out of cardboard and then sellotaped a safety pin on the back and if you have a small safety pin you can make a small badge which doesn’t stand out as much.

hales likes this.
  5. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lacybi, good call. Our university's lgbt resource center had made pins full of different pronouns. it was really cool. they were on my bag all throughout uni. When I found that I wanted to use they/them/theirs pronouns, I explained it to them this way:

"what if so-and-so - who we don't know so well - left their cell phone here? we don't know 'em that well, so we might say, 'hey, i think this is their phone, does anyone know them well enough to get in contact with them and tell them we have their phone so they can get it?' we're referring to a singular person, yet we're using they/them/theirs pronouns." and then i tell them to please use they/them/theirs pronouns when referring to me.

i'm a transgirl now, so i use she/her/hers. and i love it. going on hrt saved my life. it's why i am here typing this reply right now.

[edited for clarity]

#5 eden, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    hales likes this.