1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing Music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shallow waters, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Shallow waters

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I’ve been learning how to play lead guitar and trying rhythm. I also can play bass to some extent. (I play a note around what the guitars are playing and adding an additional note or two for a more if a less bland sound)
    I have been wanting to write music and express emotion through the art. I need a lot of practice to do more intense things, but I can write and play basic riffs right now, a lot with power and barre chords and notes to give it more fluid.
    Does anyone on here write their own music? If so what do you use to make it and how long do you take to work on your songs?

2. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been experimenting with stuff, but I don't have anything really finished for a couple reasons. First, I'm bad at lyrics. I play A LOT of instruments, I sing, and I know music theory to a pretty fair extent, but I'm bad at writing the lyrics/poetry part of it. And second, I have a short attention span. So I have four or five song ideas in various stages of completion that I keep switching between but never finishing.

3. Ryu

Ryu

I've started recording a lot of covers on my room, just multitracked onto garageband, my main amp has a DI out and I have a shitty microphone when I need to record bass and vocals. I can't play drums and don't have a drum kit so I just program them in.
    I finished recording the instrumental for my first original piece of music, I just need to record vocals(https://#######.com/i/s1imH440hcDa if you're interested).

The lyrics (which admittedly are a wip) are part of an elaborate shitpost and being Frank they're the best lyrics I've ever written because I don't care how bad or corny they are, and I think that's really helped in the process. Because I don't really care how good or bad they are I'm just writing whatever comes to my head, and I think if you take that mentality to what you write you're more likely to come up with something you're happy with because you have low expectations if they come out even just okay you'll be happy with it. I'm not a big fan of John Mayer but I saw something on his Instagram that said write the worst lyrics you can and any self consciousness you have will go, and this is true.

If you're just recording demos of stuff by yourself your technical know how when it comes to recording doesn't really matter all that much, because if they're demos hopefully they'll get recorded properly later on down the line.

Oh yeah, and have fun with whatever it is that your making. If you don't wanna listen to your track on loop after you've made it you're doing something wrong.

4. Ryu

Ryu

^edits
    The link didn't work v o c a r o o dot com/i/s1imH440hcDa

Actually answering the question that you asked, normally I can record a cover of something in an evening, normally starting around lunch and finishing about 9 or 10, but it goes quickly because I enjoy it, and the original thing has taken me two days to record because I'm basically just making it up as I go.

For covers I always go in the order of drums, bass, rhythm, lead, harmony, vocals, but for original stuff it's slightly different. Normally I try and get a rough idea of the structure down which normally consists of recording the main riff of each section and lopping them until I'm happy with the length and position of each part, then recording a rough Idea of what I want the other parts to be underneath that, and then I start doing proper recordings in the same order as I record covers.