1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out as bisexual to my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by unbroken18, Aug 12, 2018.

1. unbroken18

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I come from a Southern Baptist background and I don't know how to tell them. My mom is an understanding person and I'm very close to her, so how should tell her? My younger sibling is very faithful to the Baptist faith and I'm unsure of how to tell them.

How should I come out to my close friends?

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    unbroken18.....Hello and a very big welcome to empty closets! There are some sample coming out letters here on EC that could be of help to you. Go to the login page and don't login in. At the top there are links. One of them is "Resources". Click that link and you will be on a page with a box on the left side. In that box you will see Coming Out Letters". Check them out...they may help you!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Greetings and welcome! It’s completely up to you as far as how you come out. The sample coming out letters that David directed you to are a good resource. I know that the Trevor Project also has some good coming out advice, and looking around in the Coming Out section of EC might be a good idea as well. You can come out face to face or through some other method (like an email or letter, for example). It depends on who you’re telling, how comfortable you are, and how much control you want. Do you want to have more of a discussion or are you hoping to come out more casually? Are you comfortable with bringing up the conversation or would you rather come out when a related conversation comes up (possibly with slight influence from you)? Asking yourself questions like these might be helpful for figuring it out. Don’t worry if you don’t have an entire plan immediately or if you change your mind about how you want to come out.

As far as your sibling, perhaps it would be best for you come out to your mom first. Then, if everything goes well, you could ask your mom to help you come out to your younger sibling or perhaps just ask for advice. Whichever one you’d prefer.

You can come out in different ways to different people. There isn’t really a single right way to come out. I hope that everything does go well for you, though. Best wishes to you!