1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant find a time to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by egmannon, Aug 14, 2018.

1. egmannon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is kind of weird, but i thought i should post it anyways.
    So i know i'm gay, and I've been wanting to come out for a while now. I told my brother and he was really supportive, so now i wanna come out to my friends, who will probably also be supportive.
    The problem is that whenever i see them, we are all together. we always hang out together as a group, and i almost never see any of them alone, and we also go to different schools.
    I really don't want to come out to more than one of them at a time, especially now when non of them know.

Because of this i thought about coming out with a text, or with any other non face to face way. but even though i'm really scared of it, i would prefer to tell them face to face.

i would appreciate any advice on my situation, thanks.

2. callistia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Greetings! I don’t know if I’ll be able to help, but I’ll try my best.

Since you want to come out to them one at a time and face to face if at all possible, perhaps you could try to invite a friend with you to do something that usually only involves a few people. That way it doesn’t seem weird that you’re not all hanging out as a group. You could also choose a time when your other friends are busy. Or you could try to tell one friend when you have a moment alone with them, even if you’re hanging out as a whole group. Would you be alright with coming out to a friend when you’re around another friend who you’re already out to? If so, then you’ll only have to worry about hanging out with friends individually for the first couple times.

Whatever you choose is completely up to you. Sometimes if you think about it a bit, then you’ll figure out an idea/plan that you think will work well (as is the case for me as far as how I’m going to come out to a couple of people). If you end up wanting to do a non face to face method, then you can do that as well, although I know you said that you preferred to come out to your friends in person. As far as feeling nervous, try to relax. It’s okay if things don’t go exactly the way that you’d planned. You said that your friends will probably be supportive, so try not to overthink things. Sorry for the long post. Best wishes to you!