1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help keeping sane from stressful neighbour

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DirectionNorth, Aug 4, 2018.

1. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure if the best place, but felt it fit here most because it certainly is affecting my mental health, majorly! And warning, will probably be part rant as well, so fair warning lol!

I've been having so much trouble with my upstairs neighbour, and I've posted other times as well, but I need somewhere to vent and let it out. And I told him very curtly(first time I've ever confronted someone that way, I'm always usually passive against my own good), I told him curtly after months of day in day out banging and dropping shit, no break at all because he either works from home or has family paying for him, to cut it out for once until I move, which is definitely sooner than later because of him. Lately, when he's made nonstop noise, I would tap on the ceiling, the usual city way to tell someone to shut up, and he not only would continue more aggressively, he would drum his feet really hard or stomp in place for literally 5 minutes sometimes, usually a full minute. One time he kept it up for 10 minutes! If my downstairs neighbour were to knock on their ceiling, I woukd immediately stop what I'm doing, even if I didn't think I was making any noise, I would still stop and try to be quiet and figure out what could've been bothering them so I don't do it again. One time, I accidentally dropped something heavy, and I left a note for my downstsirs neighbour apologizing the next morning, I felt terrible. And they didn't knock or anything, but I still felt compelled to apologize. I tiptoe around my place and am always aware of the noise I make because I don't want to be a bother, and I spent over $100 on various carpets, I'm very conscious of the noise I make and avoid the creaky spots, etc.

Reminder about the creaky spot, one time he was on his creaky spot for over 5 hours, and I tapped, and he literally just bounced on that spot for 2 minutes to get back at me. He literally was either bouncing or swaying in place just because he learned it annoyed me!! Who does that?! For two minutes of his life, he stood in place and swayed or bounced just to annoy me! Why can't people just stop and not try to annoy others on purpose?? I don't understand that! I would feel awful if I found out I was in some way annoying my downstairs neighbour and would talk with them to remedy it and do things to make sure I'm not annoying them, I wouldn't be fucking entitled and go "too bad, oh this annoys you, let me do this more aggressively now that I know it annoys you!!"

And it's been taking some time to find a new apartment that fits my needs and is in a safe place, etc, but I haven't moved out quickly enough for his liking(he stopped for a bit when I left the nasty note saying I'm moving soon because of you, can you please keep it down until I'm gone, I can't concentrate on finding a new place when you do this. And he was quiet for a few days, maybe a week, but then started again. No, I can't find a place and be moved out in 3 days, sorry.)

I'm having so much damn trouble dealing with this, his noise knows no bounds, even my headphones on very high(not good for my hearing, but better than banging and thuds so loud it makes MY floor shake and things fall down in my apartment.) And it's moreso the blatant not caring about annoying me, I don't care about noise here and there, and I don't care about something dropping here and there, I know people, no matter how well-meaning make noise or are clumsy at times, I mean all day and most of the night(up to 4-5am)of this, and the entitled, gruff attitude of "you can't tell me what to do, I'll make this noise all I want and do it on purpose now for 10 minutes, now that I know you don't like it."

Finished, pat on the back if you read this far lol. Summary of my question that's somewhere in there- how do I keep from going absolutely batty? I'm trying to find as many excuses as possible to just get out, which is tough with health problems, and like I said, headphones do not shield from this dragon's fire at all. And I also have alot of work to do to get my room ready and organised for the movers, so I can't spend too much time away from my apartment.

2. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously, he is driving me insane, I can't stand his swaying on his squeaky spot and stomping in place and throwing stuff at his floor so hard that it shakes my floor and makes some of my things fall down!!

3. tanana

You don't have a landlord? Wow! Invite the landlord over to hear what is going on. That should solve the problem.

4. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did, they didn't do anything other than tell him once. They also let people smoke even though it's a no-smoking building, my realtor had said this place has a reputation for letting people break the noise rules(not making them cover 80% of the floor in carpet, even though it's distinctly in the lease you sign) and break the smoking rules and other buildings would've definitely kicked them out by now. She said the building I'm moving into is alot stricter about complaints and takes it more seriously. There's a chance she could've been saying that to get me to get the place, but friends I've spoken with have said their landlords took complaints aalot more seriously and actually kicked their noisy neighbour out.