1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get involved?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Mihael, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi there

I have been looking for ways to connect with other LGBT folk where I live, but it has proven difficult. You Americans have something like GSA and LGBT clubs in schools, but it’s not like I have seen anything like this in real life. There are gay clubs , maybe two in the entire city, but those are mainly filled with gay men (I’ve heard) and I just dislike clubbing. There are also dating apps and some random meetups, but I’m afraid of random meetups, always a couple of people. If there was an event that I could go to and chat only if I wanted to and that would be more intelligent and less crowded than clubbing, I’d love it. I just don’t want to promise that I will talk with soneone that I will not connect with. Or promise to be friends. However, nothing like this ever happens as far as I know. I really need to connect with other LGBT folk, not being able to talk about that stuff with someone is killing me. Any tips?

2. Santana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I so feel your pain. I hadn't even met any LGBT people before graduating from high school and moving to the capital city. And it's not like they're marching around with rainbows drawn on their foreheads there either. But, as it turns out, the key to meeting more gay people is just meeting more people. I joined a choir and not so long after found out some of the fellow singers there were gay. We went to a pride parade together. Also, I have a lot of coworkers and some of my them are not exactly straight. You spend time with enough people, you find out things for sure.
    There's just that tiny problem, people are exasperating in large quantities. And any amount of people is a large amount of them.

Mihael likes this.
  3. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel you. I'm not much of a clubber either. I tried approaching a very well known national LGBTQIA+ organisation with local chapters, but I didn't even get a single reply. I was about to give up and just googled 'lgbt + <my hometown>' and found a small but very active community, which I'm proud to be a part of. You might find an existing community or a handfull of lgbt activists. If google doesn't work, there's also loads of local lgbt facebook groups out there.

Mihael likes this.
  4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with meeting more people is that people don’t talk. When you meet them, they don’t talk. But maybe this is an issue of spending together enough time...

Silveroot likes this.