Feel like I'm finally ready to come out but I don't know how

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Closeted02, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Closeted02

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I want to come out to my mum, but I havent a clue what to do. I know she will be accepting so that's not an issue, I'm just nervous thinking about the whole thing.

2. Billy the kid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there,
    A lot of people suggest writing a letter. You don't have to give her the letter but you can use it as a guide to collect your thoughts on how you might tell her. If you accept your sexuality and are okay with that then that's the first step. coming out to yourself that is, and it seems like your okay with that. If you think your mom is going to be okay with it then that's another step that you can feel confident about. Its just about the courage it takes to say those words. When you do you just don't know what the reaction will be. She may and should embrace the fact that your gay. She may be caught off guard and have a surprised reaction. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to process. She may have her suspicions already? She may not be that supportive but I think in todays day and age most people are pretty accepting. I would imagine you must have a decent family life and your mom loves you so think it through and when your ready build up the courage and tell her. She will finally know the real you. Best of Luck :slight_smile:

Totesgaybrah likes this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Texting can work too if it's too big a deal to say in person. I totally get that even when you know someone will be fine, there's a piece of you that is still fearful. It's kind of like ripping off the band-aid. A little bit of discomfort, and then it's better. :slight_smile:

BisexualM and Totesgaybrah like this.
  4. BisexualM

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Closeted02,

I am in the exact same position! I know my mum will be fine but it’s so hard!

I am not out to her yet but some things that have helped me to get closer to it are writing my thoughts and feelings down on the notes section in my phone/on paper to gather my thoughts, I have also practised what I want to say when I am alone! The hardest part is definatly just starting the conversation, once it has started you just have to keep going!

It sounds like you are pretty ready to do it, so you need some encouragement!

As already said, it’s kind of like ripping off a bandaid, it’s hard but totally worth it in the end! Think about how much better you will feel with the huge weight lifted of your shoulders, you will be a step closer to being your true self!

Here’s a little fact for you: LGBT youth who are out to there families are reportedly more happy than those who are still closeted!

Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. Closeted02

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the hell guys!

6. Closeted02

Gender Pronoun:
    He