1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend's family wants me to be more formal.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by noah18, Aug 7, 2018.

1. noah18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My girlfriend’s family is very formal unlike mine. I mean, my family’s formal too but not as formal as my girlfriend’s. They are Christians like us, however, their practices are killing me. Like, they encourage me to wear something at least presentable (polo and jeans), to attend in every church activities and to go to church every Sunday. I am a foreign man myself and they are expecting me to do all those. How should I handle this kind situation? It’s kinda hard.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What is your girlfriends view on this? What would you normally wear?

3. Pink Blue

Somewhere on this tiny rock we call Earth
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In my opinion people should just stop telling other people what to do, especially when the sole reason for doing so seems to be "What might people think???", or similar bs phrases that only serve to mask someone's own intolerance. Live and let live, is what I always say.

That being said, it really depends on how far you're willing to go to fulfill your girlfriend's families' expectations and on how comfortable you feel doing it.
    Did you ever talk to them or to your girlfriend about the way their expectations make you feel?

PotatoPotato likes this.
  4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's unusual to ask that you are wearing nicer clothes for church. Some churches are a "come as you are" while others prefer a more dressed-up formality. When I used to attend church as a child, it was always "Sunday best" kind of clothing. If the congregation in general is wearing the type of clothing they are asking you to wear, then it's a reasonable request.

Why is this a big deal? If I was being invited to someone's event, why wouldn't it be reasonable to ask "What should I wear?" and wear what they suggest is appropriate to that event.