1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think my "straight" best friend has feelings for me?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by zo1998, Aug 2, 2018.

1. zo1998

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This will probably be a long post, so I really appreciate those who help me out with this!

---

So, I reaaaallllyyy like my best friend more than a friend. I never thought until a lot of years into our friendship that the feelings could be returned. Obviously, being in this situation, I'm gonna read more into things she does, because I like her... so I thought it's only safe to ask for other people's opinions too.

We're both 20, and have been best friends since we were about 14. She identifies as straight, and so do I. It's a big deal because I also identify as straight, and normally I only like men, but she's the only girl I've ever felt anything for. She does little things from time to time that I LOVE, but I can't help but wonder if it's just platonic behaviour. We currently live in seperate states, she has a 4 month old daughter, is not with the father. And I'm currently visiting her for vacation.

Here's a list of things, from the past and from recently, and also just in general.. some of these are only happening yesterday. This is just some random stuff I've remembered. There could be more, but this is all I can remember for now.

---

-She's very touchy, but she tries to do it discreetly. For example she will grab me around the neck with her arms and kind of wrestle with me a lot. She always wrestles me and tickles my stomach. She always sleeps on my shoulder during long car rides and stuff, I don't think she does that with other friends. She almost always needs to be touching me, she will purposely touch legs when we're sitting, make us touch elbows.. Like, yesterday I was sitting down with her watching tv. She was laughing and leaned my way towards my shoulder. I was trying to figure out if she was looking for my shoulder, so I moved over a bit and she laughed and did it again but found my shoulder this time and sat her head there for a minute or two.

-She always used to keep my clothes. When she used to stay over, I usually just wear things like t shirts like all the time, and she'd always ask to wear them and then she'd keep them. Note that this doesn't happen anymore because of how we live far apart. Once, she uploaded a photo of herself in one of my shirts to Instagram, and captioned it, "Aw, I still have it :slight_smile:". I didn't bring it up to her because I didn't second guess it, so I can't talk about it now.

-When we were about 15, were sitting on the computer at my place just doing stupid stuff, and she decided to prop her phone up and just video ourselves talking and saying funny things. Towards the end of the video she grabbed my face and gave me the biggest kiss on the cheek, almost like it was a big urge. I loved it but I just acted like it was normal and tried not to get flustered. Once again I didn't question it, because I didn't think she would like me.

-One time her ex told me (we were also friends) that she had told him that she once used a strap on with a girl, which I know for a fact didn't happen. But, I'd like to know why she'd say something like that?

-She lived an hour away from me at one point, we were about 15. She used to come and stay at my place every second or third weekend, she would catch the bus for an hour to get to me. I'd always want her to stay longer so I'd convince her to stay for another night. She sometimes have work the next day (part time job). But then she would ring up and say she can't make it. This happened every time she stayed.

-So, for about 2 years, she lived with my family and I because she was having major troubles at home. About age 16-18. Once I decided to go hang out with her in her room. At this time she only had a single bed because she had just moved in, so it was a bit squishy. We were just being funny and taking stupid photos of each other, but I had just laid on the edge of her bed. Somehow I found myself laying between her legs, it was just with like the blanket between us, and it wasn't anything weird or anything, I didn't even realise at first. We weren't doing anything, it just happened to be the position we were sitting. She didn't ask me to move or anything, she was just letting it happen. Wouldn't that, for a straight person, be pretty invasive?

-Her ex (that I was friends with) once showed me messages between them about her making flat out lies to him about something that happened. Basically, what *really* happened, was we were laying on a fold-out couch talking to my brother. She got up and went to her room. Then I did too. All of a sudden, he was showing me messsges between them saying that I kept putting my hand on her hip and trying to make her go to the room, and was asking if he thinks I'm gay? It was all flat out lies, I didn't even touch her. Also, he wasn't asked to send me those messages. She doesn't know I seen them. She also once told him she mentioned something about lesbians and I went really funny about it, so "must be gay". He told me this straight after too. I remember what she said, but I never went funny about it. I never do anything that makes me come across as not straight, I'm not ready yet and I never want to come onto somebody like that.

-Also, she used to use tumblr back when that was popular. She never had a bunch of followers on it, and she always used to do the "Ask" thing, but she would always ask herself questions. You could tell. A few times, she would ask things TO HERSELF like "would you ever do anything with a girl" and she would answer with stuff like "probably not" and publicly post it to her page, but I'm curious about why she done that. Also, we were going through her "likes" on tumblr together once, and there was some lesbian couple photos there, a story, stuff like that. Not a whole heap though.

-She sometimes mentions that she dislikes lesbians. But, I do that too. I know it seems like such a terrible thing to say, but I only do it to hide the fact that I have feelings for her. I wonder if she says it for the same reason. Since we're super close some people joke that we are lesbians. She usually gets really quiet and doesn't say anything, as do I. Once someone we're friends with said it and she got super offended and said she has a huge hatred for lesbians. If this is all so, then why does she always joke about being gay (between other people) talk about the strapon situation, purposely ask herself tumblr questions and save photos into her Likes about lesbians?

-Once she had just come back home from visiting her family flying distance away. I decided to sleep with her in her room that night because I was happy she was back! I was falling asleep, and I decided I'm gonna cuddle up to her so I can test the waters. I just put my head up on her shoulder by her neck. I saw the front Snapchat flash through my lids so I knew she just took a photo of me. I'm not sure if she sent it to anyone, and some time passed and we were going through her photos together and I saw her scroll past it. It had a caption on it from snapchat that said "cute!" Oooh! :')

-She drunk texted me 5 times the other night, I didn't answer because I was asleep. I know that I text her and only her when I'm drunk, and that's because I like her.

-And then just some general stuff, like her being really touchy, messaging me heaps, facetiming me for hours every day (I don't mind it!)

Also, what's something I can do to try figure out is she FOR SURE feels the same way? I never would just jump in and do something crazy like admit to it, I don't want to hurt our friendship.

Sorry it's a lot to read, I hope it was at least interesting :slight_smile:

2. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can see why you're confused. She contradicts herself a lot. However, I think mentioning her dislike for lesbians could be her trying to convince herself of that. Her tumblr likes show otherwise, and actions speak louder than words. And speaking of actions, she clearly likes your presence and being intimate with you. She could be scared of her feelings, especially since she was previously married to a guy. Coming out for her would be harder because of that.

You say you're straight, but on your profile it says you're bisexual? If you think you're bi, I think a good first step is to come out to her and see how she reacts. Or at least tell her you're questioning. You can make it as casual as you want, from just mentioning it in conversation or sitting down with her and talking about it. Then see how she reacts. She clearly likes you as a person, so maybe telling her would also help lessen her "hatred" for lesbians. If she reacts positively, you can maybe start dropping hints that you like her, if you don't want to be too drastic about it like you said.