1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving for College

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Rakkitora, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Rakkitora

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Me and my friends are all starting college soon, and while many of us are going to school in the area, one of my closest friends is going to be literally across the country.

I'm really sad that I'm not going to be seeing him as much, and we don't seem to chat much via text, so I'm going to miss him. The thing is, I'm not expressing this to him at all; I'm basically acting like I don't really care. Not in a rude way, but more in the way that you would act with someone that you are friendly with, but not really close with.

The reason I'm doing this is that I want to try to be the best friend possible, and I don't want to annoy my friend. In my mind, he treats me differently from his other friends, some I'm worried that it'll bother him if I act like I'm supposed to be a friend that he's really going to miss.

The thing is, acting like I don't care is making me really sad, but I've suppressed it because worried about being an annoying friend. So my question is, should I say something about how I feel and run the risk of being annoying, or should I do what I consider the action I should take as trying to be the best possible friend, and not say anything if I think it will just be annoying?

Maddox232003 likes this.
  2. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As long as this isn't some sort of code for something more than friendship I don't understand why you wouldn't want to tell him that you will miss him and that you are sad you won't be able to see him as much any more. I mean, set aside special friends for a moment, is there some sort of debate about whether or not you are actually friends? If not of course he would want to know. After graduating from college I went away to India for a year. My friends threw me a going away party where people actually wept. I still went, but I left feeling loved and appreciated. I think you should definitely tell him.

Maddox232003 likes this.
  3. Rakkitora

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That does make sense. I think maybe when I become emotional about something, I tend to become bottled up instead of being clear about things, and I over think things. Thank you for helping me to see things logically.

Maddox232003 likes this.