1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Film idea: Coming of Age LGBT film in the South US

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ECMember, Jul 29, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was thinking of Love, Simon but I had an idea for a film idea. a coming age film of an LGBT teen in the Southern United States growing up during Jim Crow. It doesn't matter the race to me if it were White or Black or Latino. I mean if the main character were a LGBT white teen in the South, we could see their POV how Jim Crow impacted them. I mean does anyone know what I mean. If it were a non-White LGBT teen could see how they are preceived as a person of color and a member of the LGBT community. Navigating between LGBT discrimination in their community versus Jim Crow and racial bigotry as well. Does anyone think that could be a good film idea?

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good idea, I think it would be even more interesting if the movie focused on both side of the story equally, having two main characters whose stories and background we explore equally, one white, one black and having them meet eventually and deal with the feelings that come with having grown up surrounded with prejudice towards minorities and being witness of their ordeal and the guilt that may come with it (for the caucasian person) and having grown up in an hostile environment where you grow to hate your opressors (for the black person) yet finding it in you to fall for the person you aren't supposed to fall for.

I think it would be very interesting from an historical point of view as well as socially, and there are also very few interracial relationships portayed in the media so that could be a nice change to explore the troubles of being black/white and not agreeing with the regime you live under in that time, being gay and wanting to take part in an interracial relationship in a time where it's illegal.

#2 Lin1, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  3. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There hasnt been a film Ive seen that references to same sex interracial teens in the South during Jim Crow. I mean that doesnt mean it never happened. I mean when schools were being desegregated and public facilities in the South were being desegregated, they have been some opportunities for gay teens in the South to meet across racial lines.

You forgot to mention about Hispanics because homosexuality was a taboo subject amongst families back then. Roman Catholicism and strong patriarchy back then in the 50s and 60s in the Southwest

4. YeahpIdk

If there was a film with a young black teen and young white teen growing up/navigating life during Jim Crow fell for each other, I would watch the ever living sh*t out of it.

5. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What time period if I may would be interested? 1900s? 1910s? 1920s? 1930s? 1940s? 1950s? 1960s?

Also what state would be interested in. You have to realize that the Klan was strong in areas of the South, particuarly in rural Southern counties. And also the threat of lynching.

If I were to write a screen play maybe it would have involved two teens that were Hispanic and White that were closeted bi guys that lived either in rural Texas either in Central Texas or South Texas. It starts around 1960 and follows them to the early 1970s. Hispanic people has some flexibility to cross through Jim Crow's color in Texas. I'm not saying Hispanic people never experienced discrimination, but I'm just saying that the color line wasn't as rigid compared to black people.

6. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @Linning @YeahpIdk. You like my ideas for so far. Maybe I would settle on writting a book out of this first if I could.

7. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It sounds like a really great idea! You have to spend lots of time doing research to make it seem as real as possible though. Good luck!

8. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not from the US originally so my knowledge of Jim Crow's era is limited and I am much more aware of the struggle of black people (due to personal experience) than hispanics hence my suggestion but of course hispanic/black it doesn't really matter, you should write about what you are the most comfortable writting about. I am a big fan of the 1940's and read extensively books set in that era but would have nothing against a movie/book set in the 1960's or 1970's.

What's important though is doing LOTS of research, even though it's fiction it's extremely important if you are going to write a book about true historical events (life under Jim Crow) that the settings is as accurate as possible especially for your hispanic/black characters as you don't want to minimize what life was like then for them but neither should you over do it, it should be as factual as possible and if you could find people who lived through it and could ask them to tell you their story and give you details about what life was like, it would be fantastic.

I have seen many amateur writters write about topics they have no knowlege about, especially cheesy love stories between Nazis and Jews in camps that are written in a very unrealistic manner. Ironically my favourite book is a queer book about a nazi woman falling for a jewish lady during WW2 BUT it is a true story, written in collaboration with said former Nazi woman, so it's extremely accurate and gives a terrific insight on life during WW2 and the struggle of falling for a Jewish lady when you are a known Nazi (married to an SS soldier) and living under Hitler.

So not making it cheesy will be key, falling for someone whose racial group is making your life hell, probably making your father's life a nightmare and potentially hurting your mother is going to be extremely complicated with a whole range of emotion, drama, trauma, that will need exploring and overcoming, it can't be they meet, fall in love and are like " fuck the system" and walk happily hand in hand in the streets, especially because being gay will add to the struggle of not hating the person you have been taught to hate.

9. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    @Linning. I'm thinkng more of early 1960s to early 1970s Central Texas(a rural town near Austin or Waco area) or South Texas(a town between San Antonio and Laredo). I'm thinking of having a Mexican American teen and an Anglo(White) teen. I would like to portray them as bi sexual at least. I'm not sure what social class they would be, I'm thinking the White boy would be lower middle to middle-middle class. And the Mexican American boy would be working/lower middle class. Maybe they meet at the recently integrated elementary schools. Google "Brown v. Board of Education 1954." School segregation was slowly erroding in the South and there would have been some interactions between Anglos and Mexicans in Texas with African Americans however, it would have varied depending on what Texas county you lived in though.

The story would continue through the early 1970s, when they enter the Vietnam War which was still going on at that time. They would be in their late teens or early 20s.

#9 ECMember, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. YeahpIdk

Make it a book, or make it an outline for writing a screenplay. I feel like a white and black kid would be more compelling, because it would have been so forbidden.

Do some research about this kind of stuff back then. There's gotta be a story somewhere. That can help guide you.

11. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel like my film idea is somewhat loosely based on my late teens and early 20s to mid 20s. I mean I feel like I'm writing about myself to a degree plus maybe tying some of my dad's background in the mix. I mean my dad is not gay or bisexual, but he grew up in the 1950s-1960s. He was born in 1952, and later enlisted in the USMC during the later years of the Vietnam War(1970-1971). I'm tying my life during my late teens(18 or 19ish) through my mid 20s(so about now at age 26) but maybe combing somewhat of my dad's background to a degree. That's one idea that's floating in my brain right now.

I'm Hispanic male but I've been around White males more the past several years. And I've had some crush/desire over close white males I've been around as well. So that's why I tie it in.

I mean I'm thinking about having a rural, conservative setting like Central Texas(like Kerville, Texas or Martindale, Texas or New Branfuels, Texas or Taylor, Texas or Granger, Texas) to make it feel authentic. I mean I have to be real and include the fact that these places during that time may have had some racism or bigotry towards people of color and to a degree people who were LGBTQIA+. I mean I'm sure of the extent of a LGBTQIA+ in these places, but I do recall that there was a community in Galveston since the early 1900s I recall mentioned in an article and there was a LGBT community in Houston. Idk if anyone that has a focus on LGBT History in Southern United States please let me know. Or if I can find the article I read about Houston, Texas or Galveston, Texas LGBT history I'll let you guys know.

12. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    An interesting and less complicated angle you can take is for the Mexican American teen to be able to pass as white and he falls in love with an Anglo white teen at a privileged white only private school. The Mexican American teen could try to hide his Mexican heritage by changing his last name etc and attempting a few physical changes like lightening his hair colour. This will offer a realistic opportunity for them to socialize in the Jim Crow era and fall in love.

Things will get complicated when the Mexican American teen is ¨exposed¨ as not being pure white and is shunned by his white peers. It will be more powerful if the Mexican American teen is one of the most popular guys at school because there be an epic fall from grace for the Mexican American teen who realizes he has more in common with the Anglo white teen who is an outcast.

#12 KyleD, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  13. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a thought. A love story about a young black man (slave) and a young white man (slave owner son). Both perspectives would be phenomenal, the world from the young black fellows eyes the pain, the suffering, the desire, being mistreated because of skin color and the fears of what would happen if people knew he were gay or even worse if people knew he were involved with his owners son. The world from the young white fellows eyes the secret pain of watching someone he loves go through such mistreatment, and not just mistreatment, but by his own family, the fear of being caught or outed and more so the fear of it being with a black fellow given the time period. It could be a beautiful story of pain, suffering, love, etc. So many emotions. I'd prefer a happy ending also, so many LGBT movies end so sadly, but I guess that's the point we need to make people aware of how our people have been treated and are treated, so maybe not a happy ending. I'd also like it given the fact that one LGBT character would be a gay southern white male, because it's like all of the homophobic southern white men always come off as if it's never them, no southern white man would've been gay, although I'm 100% there were gay southern white men, and of course are today. haha

14. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    KyleD the colorline during Jim Crow for Mexican Americans was a lot different for African Americans actually. I mean we were technically considered White by law but more of a second-class white status in actually.

See Martha Menchaca, "Recovering history, constructing race: The Indian, the Black, and white roots of Mexican Americans."(2001)
    Ariela Gross, "Texas Mexicans the Politics of Whiteness." Law and History Review(2003) https://gould.usc.edu/assets/docs/Texas_Mexicans.pdf

Depending on the city in Texas during this period, these teens could've attended a public school together.

Plus also add to this is the Mexican American community in Texas(especially in South Texas area) was heavily Catholic and patriarchy. To an extent given from what I've heard from my dad about this period, homosexuality was a taboo and largely not spoken of in public and rarely in a family setting. It was considered in the same category if a girl was knocked up and was unwed mother.

I don't want to portray these guys as 100% gay, I want to portray them as bisexual or at least some platonic/bromance and maybe some curiosity of their sexuality. I mean want them at least have some sexual encounters with girls around their age in this story as well.

I'm trying to at least look for some books relevant to LGBT history in Texas during this period and it's pretty limited compared to areas such as New York or LA or San Franscisco,

15. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were gay white southern men during the antebellum(pre-Civil War) and Reconstruction and Jim Crow. Whether or not these men supported white supermacy and Jim Crow is another story itself.

16. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Another idea I've been having thinking about is setting the timeline a little further around the late 1920s/early 1930s in urban Dallas, Texas. My grandfather attended public school in the Dallas public school system and graduated high school at a vocational(techinical school) near the downtown Dallas area. I inquired on an ancestry Facebook group and mentioned my grandfather by his name and location in Dallas he lived in around the 1930 US Census. A nice lady screenshot what appears to be a HS yearbook from 1931 I believe of that technical high school he attended. There was a mixture of Anglo(White) and some Spanish surnames on a list of people with honor roll at the time. I didn't see pictures of the students just names and average grade they earned.

I'm thinking maybe having an urban focus on Dallas in the late 1920s or early 1930s maybe as a seperate story. Mayba a bisexual Mexican American and bisexual Anglo boys growing up in Dallas in a poor neighborhood.

17. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I do get you, it's good that you are doing your research. Continue researching and gaining ideas and you will rock it!

#17 KyleD, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  18. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't done much research on my story yet. I mean I'm leaning towards Dallas, Texas circa 1930. There was some degree of racism and sergregation at that time.

19. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't be suprise if gay black and white teens had secret romantic/sexual relationships during Jim Crow behind their parents baclin the South.

20. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it seems like a good idea for a film. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I'd watch this. It's not even a thing yet and I'm already interested enough that I know I'd watch it and probably buy it.