1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why be religious?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to ask out of curiousity. What drives people to be religious? I myself don't know that.

I was brougt up rather not in a religious way. I go to church sometimes, just because everyone does. When there is Christmas or Easter, I go to church with family, who go there out of habit. Nobody in my family is a firm believer. It's a matter of custom. I had religion at school and for the most part it teaches about being a good good person. They teach prayers too. In high school what pushed me away from religion was how dogmatic it was and the emphasis some people put on unreasonable explanations even to conclusions that seemed right overall. I never felt the need to stick with the church, althouh I pray from time to time... in a way, I know I'm talking to void, but it doesn't really matter. This is all I have to say on the subject. I just wonder why faith matters to others. Because it does.

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indoctrination from an early age in most cases.
    People that find religion later in life have all kinds of different reasons.

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Indoctrination... yes, it makes sense.
    And how about the later in lifers?

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe there's more to life than what's (physically) in front of us.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, upbringing, maybe not neccesarily indoctrination... let's not make it all negative for now.

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn’t trying to be negative but I’m not sure which sounds worse.
    From google.

“Religious upbringing refers to training in religious matters which a child receives during his or her childhood.”

in·doc·tri·na·tion
    inˌdäktrəˈnāSHən/
    noun
    1. the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
      "I would never subject children to religious indoctrination"

7. MrL1011

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To have a belief system maybe. I mean there's a ton of people out there that "ship" (literally a shortened version of worship) tv shows, tv characters, and/or celeb couples. In the same way, those things that are shipped end up representing a set of beliefs for the people doing the shipping.

And sure, there are a lot of negative things about religions. There are also a lot of negative things about most pop culture role models. Most people are good at following mostly the good.

Just my two cents.

8. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’ve known different people who have started following religion later in life and it’s not because they were doing well in life.

Life and death are a lot easier to accept if you believe in a higher power or an afterlife.

9. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shipping... hmmm... not something I neccesarily relate to, but I understand that others can feel that way.
    Afterlife and hardships... sounds depressing.

Religious upbringing doesn't sound bad to me. It's interesting that it has the same dictionary meaning as indoctrination, I thought there was a difference in connotation. Well, whatever. No negative things meant, then that's fine.

10. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because uncertainty is scary.

Death, natural disasters, illnesses,accidents, all those things we can't control are extremely scary if one actually stop believing that there is an inner message behind it all and a good reason all of it is happening.

Because if you start thinking that people and kids get sick and die in horrible and torturous conditions just because, that the kid you just lost you won't see again because life is unfair and heaven isn't a thing, that all the bad and the good is for nothing because we are all doomed anyway then the world becomes a scary place.

People need hope, humans also need to feel important like they have value and their life matters. It needs to have a meaning and religion provide people exactly that. A sense of pertaining to something big, something that gives a meaning to all the things that are unfair and don't make sense or have a satisfactory explanation, it makes people feel like their life matter because they are "preaching the good" and ensuring themselves "salvation" and a place with the people they love after death, or so they hope. Religion give them some sort of control over things they can't control (death, illnesses, loss) they can't change those things but they feel they can control their behaviour and what they do during their lifetime to ensure better results. It gives them power a life without God wouldn't give them.

It is easier to accept losing a son to cancer if you believe it happened for a reason. The loss of someone is easier to deal with if you believe they aren't gone forever and that they are here somewhere and you will see them again when your time come.

Religion gives hope to people.

I am not religious at all but some people need hope and comfort and believing that they aren't alone, that they are part of a bigger picture and that someone has their back (even if that someone could be imaginary) and they find this support in religion.

I think religion is what has created most of our problems but it's a very good way to control the population en masse which obviously benefits quite a few people.

#10 Lin1, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  11. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it’s psychological.

12. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your extended response @Linning

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When we talk about someone being 'religious' we often get a negative mental picture, because religious people tend to be rather pious and holier than thou. As members of the LGBT community, many of us have been on the receiving end of that sort of shrill and rather angry preaching and it just gets tedious and only serves to piss us off. I am a Christian, but I would never describe myself as religious.

There are many reasons why people choose to follow a particular religious path and I do think it is a choice, in most cases. I'm not dismissing the argument about indoctrination, because it is valid to some extent... but only to some extent. I think it's a little too easy to claim indoctrination, because on a basic level I think people remain with their faith because they really want to; because they really believe in it (even if they don't believe in the whole of it) and personally derive something from it. That's very much the case with me. Put simply, my faith anchors me and offers direction. It addresses some of my questions about life and the human condition in a way that science and logic never could.

For me, it's not about being 'religious' though. I said I am a Christian - a follower of Jesus Christ - and nowhere in scripture did Jesus say "I have come so that you may have religion or be religious". In John's gospel he is quoted as saying "I have come so that you may have life and have it abundantly". That's what it's really about for me... it's about living the life we have and living it well, realising our full potential and aiming for the very best. Therein lies a message for many people, including many in the LGBT community.

14. Silveroot

Silveroot Guest

There are many different reasons why people may be religious. For some it may be tradition, it's what their parents and their grandparents have been doing. For others, it is a sense of duty, for some it is fear and again for certain people there's hope.

Then you get people who are religious because it's their way of relating to the world. Ever since I got out in nature as a child, I felt things I couldn't explain or share with others but resonated with my deepest convictions of what life is about. I felt like the grass, the air, trees, all plants in general and even rocks had their own type of existence that hummed in tunes we wouldn't notice. I felt deep peace and a sense of beauty and harmony in natural places. Sometimes it made me want to sing, sometimes I felt like speaking in verse, most of the time I stayed silent -because they were others around me and they would think I'm crazy if I did any of these things hahaha.

#14 Silveroot, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2018
  15. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe religion is important because it gives something to people who have nothing. It can fill holes that you didn't know you had. Is the exact religion important? No, not really, because many teach the same basic principles: to be a good person. It doesn't matter if you read the torah, the kuran, or the bible; it doesn't matter if you believe there is one god or several; if you believe everything small and large has a spirit; it's about believing in something, even when no one believes in you.

To me, religion is about belief that, at the end of the day, everything you do matters. It's the hope that there is something for us after we die. It's the fear that we aren't doing enough for each other and too much for ourselves. It's about hope, love, and sharing, and acceptance.

Of course, most religions have been corrupted in one way or another by a group of believers, they want their belief to be the only belief, but I implore you to not let these groups taint your view of religion as a concept. Religion does do good in the world, despite all the bad done in religion's name.

Now, I don't know whether there is a god, or gods, or spirits or whatever else you can think of. But I choose to believe in a god that cares. Whether or not someone else believes, and whatever they may choose to believe in, is their concern, not mine.

16. Denial

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me it's because I believe in God and want him to guide me and to be happy with me.

17. signmypapyrus

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just read Jennifer Knapp’s book Facing the Music, which goes into her childhood in Kansas, her life as a Christian music artist, and eventually realizing she’s gay. She’s so thoughtful and articulate about her exploration of faith. I recommend it for anyone who is either into religion, LGBT, or feels the two shouldn’t have these conversations.

18. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the book recommendation.

Thanks to the rest of you for replies too.
    That sounds much more relatable to me than what I frequently hear from the Church. Being a good person, I'm all for it. But the emphasis seems to frequently be placed elsewhere.

19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    emerry.....Thank you for the chance to make a positive comment on my faith. You will notice I didn't say religion. I am a Christian and I am most certainly not religious! :old_smile: Usually I write about religion to try and encourage people here who are worried that their religious family won't accept them. I personally have never understood parents who could turn their back on their own children because they weren't following the religion of the parents. My three sons do not always do things that I approve of...in some cases it has been rather severe. I have not, nor will I ever turn my back on those "boys" (they are all over thirty). They are my sons...period. I love them while I might not like what they do....and I NEVER say it like that to them! As for faith... I have always felt a need to connect to something bigger than myself...something that is bigger than all of us. I guess that I just feel that there really is a God out there. My faith is not from my upbringing. I was not raised in church. Everything about my faith is a result of my own, personal decisions. That fact made it very difficult for me when I finally accepted that I am and always was gay. It took time and study, books and a lot of thought for me to understand that being gay is not a conflict with Christianity. I can't speak for any other faith-system...but I can say that the Bible does not condemn same-sex relationships as we know them. Why?....because same-sex relationships as we know them simply did not exist when the Bible was written. There is, of course, a lot that went into learning that and I will share it with anyone who is interested. So yes...like @PatrickUK I am a gay Christian. I hope for the day when "religious" people will understand that loving one another is (should be) the basis for all faiths. That who you love is far less important than the fact that you do love.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

20. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for reply Quebec :slight_smile:

#20 Mihael, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018