1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria, advice greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by abedoodles, Jul 31, 2018.

1. abedoodles

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello, I would really appreciate advice about dysphoria, how to manage it, how to work past it or anything similar? I feel like I'm drowning in it at the moment, please. I'm not out but have been dysphoric for 5+ years.

My situation:
    - Periods. Feel gross, disgusting and not at home in my body. I can hardly move or pay attention to anything because I'm so upset by them.
    - Chest. Want it gone but the idea of top surgery is terrifying + extremely unlikely to happen
    - Swimming. I can't cancel on this event, I have a full-body swimsuit but I know it's going to be awful especially since I will be going w/ male friends and feeling out of place

I have tried distracting myself from these problems, but the more I don't pay attention to it, I end up falling into this mode where I don't want to attend social events/interact or anything. Please if you have time, please I need help.

2. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Binders or sometimes even really good sports bras can flatten the chest when you're not exercising or sleeping. Swim tees with swim shorts may look better to you. Sorry I don't have much advice. I wish you the best :slight_smile:

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dysphoria is horrific and can be crippling. My biggest sources of dusphpdys are the exact same things that you've mentioned and unfortunately I quit swimming 2.5 years ago, although it shouldn't be too much longer before I get back in a pool.

Shark week: Try out progesterone only pills or implants. Progesterone only contraceptives don't contain oestrogen and they can actually potentially get rid of shark week for some people. Before I started on T I was on cerelle, you have to take it daily at the same time but it was a life saver for me and I didn't experience a shark week for two years after having had one every 2 weeks since I started.

Chest: As the person above suggested. Try safe compression methods. Surgery is am irreversible and massive change to your body and shouldn't be in the forefront of your mind at the beginning of transition. Take smaller steps. Effective binder companies are underworks and gc2b, both have measuring guides on their sites that I'd recommend you follow to get the correct size for you.

Swimming: That's a difficult one. Before I came out or realised I was trans I was still uncomfortable in a one piece so wore the tight swim shorts on top which helped a little. Even wearing regular men's trunks on top is an idea but may look strange. In the future if you still have swimming events that you'd like to go to then there are binders designated to swimming made by underworks, flavnt and spectrum outfitters. You can then either wear a t-shirt or rash vest on top to hide it and wear guys shorts. Just something to think about for the future. For the upcoming event, like I suggested get some shorts and covering up may make you feel more at ease. Take some time for self care and stay underwater, I felt safer and more confident when I was in the water as no one could see my body.

DreamerAsh and skittlz like this.
  4. AshDee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WARNING: contains swearing and also descriptions of a period
    1. The worst subscription you never signed you for: if stopping it in a healthy way is not an option, I suggest adopting a little mantra. Mine is quite angry but it gets the job done. Like when I'm changing pads n stuff I think "I'm the man. Fuck yeah I'm THE man. What other man has to do this? Not a cis one that's for sure! Pfft. Weak ass motherfucker. I'm the MAN!" Or when I'm just on my period and I walk around and see a dude I think "Yeah well is he shedding the internal lining of an organ? I DON'T THINK SO!"
    2. Da titty: If you do not have a real, safe, proper binder from a reputable company, I recommend the multiple sports bras method. If you wear one bra normally and a second one backward, it can be even more effective. Please don't wear more than three at once though.
    3. Just keep swimming: sports bra binding + a t-shirt you're okay getting chlorine soaked = swimmin' easy. As for the shorts, you got a pair of basketball or soccer shorts? Something that you can let chlorine take over.

DreamerAsh likes this.
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Periods don’t make you a female. If you are not a female despite your body being so, then your body doesn’t make you a female. Logical. Simple. Same goes for chest. Or whatever.

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'd be brilliant if the case was to just think that because you're not female your body is not a female body and feel happy and satisfied with that but unfortunately a trans guys body is biologically female and gender dysphoria is a medical condition that people have to take certain steps to alleviate. The OP was looking for steps to take on how to better deal with the dysphoria they experience and regrettably it's not as simple or 'logical' as you make it out to be or we'd all be having much easier times.

Hanyauku likes this.
  7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If that doesn't speak to you then okay, but it does speak to some people. I'm just throwing the idea. Maybe it will be of help.

#7 Mihael, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018