1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any happy dating/hookup site stories out there?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by CuriousLad, Jul 23, 2018.

1. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't have to end with a happily ever after wedding, but did any of these dates actually lead to some positive relationship for you guys? It can be a romantic relationship, friendship or something purely physical. I'm basically asking if any of you got what you were looking for when you went into it. I might just be considering trying it out once

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have met plenty of now very good friends through dating apps, I also met my ex girlfriend through one of the main dating apps and while I can't say we were the healthiest of relationship we are now extremely good friends ( seeing her tomorrow for drinks!) dating apps are what you make of them, if you go into it with no expectation and knowing that other people's interest or lack of interest in you or your profile isn't representative of your worth then you are setting yourself up to mostly have a positive outcome, be it friendship-wise or more :slight_smile:

Kaoru Kat likes this.
  3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Met my bf on a dating site 4 years ago and we are very happy!

Kaoru Kat likes this.
  4. tystnad

tystnad Guest

unfortunately next to no lgbt girls used the app anywhere close to me (partly because no one lives here) so i haven’t actually been able to meet people, but i briefly used it at its largest radius and met a girl who became a really good friend of mine even though we haven’t yet been able to meet up in person. i’m moving even further away soon so a meet up is likely not going to happen either but it’s a very valuable friendship that actually helped me a lot with figuring out my sexuality even more (i did not have any gay friends before). for me using a dating app was more of a way to allow myself to look at girls, something i unconsciously didn’t allow myself to before, and it was a step that was necessary for me to figure things out.

Kaoru Kat likes this.
  5. smurf

It would be helpful to know what you are looking to get out of it. That way we can help guide you on how to approach the hook up and when to say "this is not the right hook up for me"

I love, love short term flings more than one-night stand hook ups.You really have to know what you want from it so you can know what type of hook up to get. Sadly, because there aren't many movies or books about it most of us figure it out through trial and error. I have had amazing hook ups and I have had horrible hook ups. Now that I know what I want, the vast majority of hook ups I have are amazing.

For me, I like to tell people that my husband and I fell in love at first hook up. When we met each other we litreally only wanted to have sex. It just so happened that we never stopped having sex and we got married haha but there was a time when we were dating that we clearly stated to each other that this was temporary, a short-term relationship at most, and that we would have to break up at some point. We were both okay with that and how things unfolded just allowed us to be together for longer than we expected.

Two years into the relationship we finally realized that we weren't getting bored of each other like it usually happened, so we called it love and got married. At the young age of 21. Fucking nuts I know. 1 year into the relationship we also decided to open up and be nonmonogamous. It has worked amazing for us and I couldn't ask for a more amazing life. We have been together for 7 years now and it has been just such a beautiful moment in our lives so far. We hope it will last forever, and we work really fucking hard in making sure we can, but even if it only lasts 20 years we know that it will be 20 years full of amazing memories, life changing adventures, and just full on smiles.

So yeah, hook ups can be amazing. But you have to know what you want and know how to ask for it.

Kaoru Kat likes this.
  6. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah so I don't think I can devote enough time to a committed relationship, no matter how attracted I am to the guy's personality. I'm probably looking for a semi-date or just a meetup and maybe some action till third base. But we can't really go all the way on the first day because one of us would need to prepare or might not like the other enough to hook up. So I'd be looking for sex on the second day (If I can convince him). I'm relatively confident in my social skills (at least the ones you need to get close enough to hook up) and so I wanted to know if there's actually hope. I'd just read about a lot of hookups gone bad and even dangerous (I've read about the safety measures on other threads) so I needed some happy stores to perk me up.

#6 CuriousLad, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  7. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I can give you a nearly "happily ever after" story :smile: First some general experiences: I made almost always positive experiences with dating apps. Sure, you meet some strange people online, and I had smalltalk with tons of people and at some point it really started to get annoying and I wanted to give up trying to find someone. Yeah there were also people who suddenly disappeared and never wrote back without any explanation. I met some girls and it never really led to something serious or more than one "date".
    But I found some nice people I regularly have contact with, I found a really good friend (she will even get invited to my wedding tho, that's how close our friendship has become) and of course I finally met the girl of my dreams :blush: Well, and from her point, - for her I was the first person she met at the dating app and she just created her profile one day ago :sweat_smile:
    When I saw her profile, I just had to write her a message. From the first few words we both felt that we have a special connection. One day later we exchanged phone numbers, wrote messages that took hours to answer to and after 10 days we both deleted our dating app Profile, because we were sure to never need to use them anymore. We couldn't meet directly, cause I went on vacantion and when I came back she went on vacantion. It already felt like a relationship and missing each other, although we have never met in person. So we impatiently had to wait to meet in person and since that day we're a couple.
    Well, and today... We're engaged and we are planning our Wedding :relieved:
    So does that give you some hope, that online dating really can work out well? :slight_smile:

CuriousLad and tystnad like this.
  8. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only ever met 2 girls from dating apps but they where both worth it. I was very hesitant to try it cause it's like the least romantic thing ever but it's so hard to meet people in real life.

The first one was also my first date with a girl ever. I had a great time and we had one more date. I liked her a lot but realised I wasn't actually attracted to her so we hang out as friends after that. She moved away now but we still talk all the time and she kind of became my 'gay guide'. It's been almost a year now and I owe a lot to her!

The second girl was a totally different story. I made a thread about it but long story short: I was crazy attracted to her. We dated for a while and it was an amazing experience for me. It got kind of serious but unfortunatley she had some personal issues going on and she dumped me. No happy end but I'm still very happy that I met her. I felt so much more confident about being gay after meeting her.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I met my bf on an app :slight_smile:

10. CuriousLad

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow I'm not even an emotional person but I found myself smiling reading all the posts:slight_smile:
    It also got me thinking why we don't have more movies or TV shows with gay couples actually ending up together happily.

Just one more question, did any of you guys go into the date looking for just sex and come out as a couple or vice-versa? I mean would that be an appropriate thing to do? And if so, did you specify what you wanted in messages before the actual date?

#10 CuriousLad, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  11. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went into the date wanting to make it through a date without tripping and falling on my face. Getting a second date would be a bonus. I was fresh out of the closet and everything else in my life was crazy at that point so I figured what the hell. I put in my profile that I was newly out, because if there was anyone who didn't want to date someone without experience they'd just simply not talk to me. When the guy who's now my bf messaged me I almost didn't message back just because he's 4 years older and I didn't think he'd want anything to do with someone who was newly out. I'm glad I did. We started talking about music and restaurants, and I ended up inviting him to go to this taco place I love but he'd never been. Funnily enough, the place is literally across the street from where I live but I didn't want him to know that in case he got the wrong impression. The date went well and he did eventually come over to my place not long after that. We've been together for 4 years now