1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Polyamory- Your Thoughts, Your Stories, My Situation

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by LittleLeo, Jul 26, 2018.

1. LittleLeo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I would like to first ask what are your thoughts on polyamorous relationships. How have they worked for you? What got you interested in them? Was everyone involved with everyone else?
    Also, what are your stories with Polyamory.

Here is why I am asking. A friend of mine, a male that I, in a previous thread, refer to as Jack, has been bringing up the idea of him and I getting into a relationship. He, however, has only ever been in relationships with women. He has had sex with men, but never committed with one. This is a relationship that I want, but not if its going to make either one of us unhappy. I told him that I didn't feel like a relationship with one man is the way he would want to live the rest of his life. He has talked about polyamory multiple times and possibilities of an open relationship. I am not sure how comfortable I would be with an open relationship with me not knowing really who he's been with, but I'm wondering if a polyamorous relationship would be all that different?

Also, has anyone been in a polyamorous relationship where you only really were attached to one person in the relationship? I ask this because if we did that, he would probably want a girl because he probably bi (given history and the current situation). And I am fully gay (technically, if I'm going to put a label on it, "homoromantic demisexual). So, I probably wouldn't be attracted to the girl he would want to bring in.

Personally, I am thinking he is wanting to see if a relationship between us will workout, but he's wanting to ease into it.

So, what is y'alls experience?

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally, polyamory/polygamy is not for me. But, I have a friend who was telling a story about a polyamory couple that actually work. There are three of them, all men, and they consider themselves married and live together. They are all very happy. It first started with the two of them, and then I guess they thought monogamy wasn't for them and decided to try open, but open never really worked either so they mutually went looking for a third person. I think it works for them because they are all of the same sexual orientation, share a bed, and all do dates together. Being attached to only one person sounds more like an open relationship.

Bottom line, I think polyamory will work if everyone is agreeable to the terms.

3. smurf

Polyamory is a fairly large umbrella that covers many ways that a relationship can look like. It can be very open, closed, with very few partners or with a lot. The "rules" of it are completely up to the people involved so there is no one way to do polyamory right.

I'm currently in an open marriage. I consider myself poly, but my husband isn't too keen on the idea of dating someone else so not in a poly relationship. My hope is that later on he would change his mind and we can be an poly couple, but it isn't a necessity for me. I have met a lot of people that have made polyamory work really well for them so it can work if its something that you are into

This is called a "V". Think about your guy friend as the point connection you and the imaginary girl. The term for you and the other girl would be "metamours" which just means you and her are friends, with the same partner, but not romantically involved.

This type of scenario is very common, but each relationship can look different depending on what people want to do. Some people all live in one single house, some people have different houses, and some people have something in between.

If you want to learn more about polyamory I would highly suggest the book and blog called "More than Two". They do an amazing job and going over different way that you can set up your relationship. The scariest thing about polyamory for a lot of people is that there is no "script" that you can follow. The amount of choices available is sometimes overwhelming to people.

I think you two are going a bit too far in your hypothetical. Jumping from "lets maybe date each other" to "lets have a polyamory relationship" is a big step.

I would suggest that you guys try it out first. Start going on dates, hanging out around each other and see what happens. For all you know, you won't even like it. If it works, then start talking about how to make it work long-term, but for now focus on the now.

Way you guys for having open communication and being vulnerable with each other. Its a much needed skill to make polyamory work so keep doing that!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure all poly relationships always start out intentionally. It seems to me people just evolve into them. And by evolving, there are no rules accept as things happen and structure is formed.

Having a non exclusive FWB is an example. If it’s non exclusive, both parties realizes the other party to it might have a relationship with someone else. If both parties then do, and it’s recognzied, that’s a form of poly. But maybe no one calls it that. They just call it an open FWB relationship.

#4 OnTheHighway, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018