1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Adolescence Marriage Comes to an end

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Jul 19, 2018.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having married my boyfriend whom I met during my second adolescence, and after we both quickly realized getting married was a mistake each for our own respective reasons, we finalized our divorce amicably.

We are going away next week together as a post marriage trip not as spouses, but as good friends. No one knows me better than he, and I him.

I value all the insight and emotional support he provided me as I grew as a person, and I am confident he experienced similar reciprocity from me as well.

I would like to think we will remain good friends, despite him moving to another city next month about an hour away from me, but I will keep an open mind and be realistic about what our respective futures hold towards one another.

The divorce closes another chapter on my life’s journey, and a I feel I have become a better person having lived this chapter of my life with him.

smurf likes this.
  2. bearheart

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry to hear this @OnTheHighway and wish for both of you all the best.
    It is mind boggling how two souls could be so close to each other, so understanding of each other, knowing each other better than anyone else, and still have to go through divorce. It seems unfair, but everyone has their reasons and life conditions. It just seems unfair to me this happening all the time.
    I might sound selfish, but at a certain point of time, when you're ready for it, I'd appreciate it if you could give advice and your insight to everyone here, from your own experience, about how a relationships could or could not succeed.
    Big hugs.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks bearheart for your thoughts; however, I don’t see this as something to be sorry about. I feel very comfortable about the decisions we made, which we did together between us. Somethings are meant to be long term, and sometimes they have taken their proper course and come to the rightful conclusion. Such is the way of life, and I do not feel a need to harp on it.

#3 OnTheHighway, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Hillary B, TravelerMe and bearheart like this.
  4. TravelerMe

Sorry it didn't work out OTH but I'm happy for you. For one you recognize the beauty of what you had and even more so that you can realize it isn't meant to be for the long term and that you're so accepting and ready for a new chapter. Inspiring.

5. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OTH, always enjoy your lucid perspective on matters especially ones that effect you personally. Sorry it didn’t work out but I am sure you are a better person for the experience. Your honesty is reflected in your writing.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rest assured, acceptance took time and much self reflection. I did go through a mourning process. I had my crying outbursts (very therapeutic), my period of anger, and my second guessing all in the journey to acceptance.

We are now midway through our final trip together relaxing, eating well and playing tourist together while having brief discussions talking about both our time together and what the future may hold for each of us.

It’s very clear to me (and, I think, to the both of us) that the decisions we made were the right ones. And it’s nice to be enjoying our trip as friends.

A lot of my friends thought I was crazy for wanting to go away with him. But I feel we made the right choice doing so. This trip seems to be giving me a final sense of closure. And when I look in his eyes, I perceive he is having a similar experience.

7. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's an individual thing. I could not and would not attempt such a trip with an ex. Good on you for making your trip a success!

8. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OTH you are indeed an inspiration. I wish I was as put together as you are. You seem to have a handle on making it all work somehow. Thanks.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It’s all about Vulnerability. I have preached this concept so often, and I continue to live by it. I was skeptical about doing the trip, I gave it a lot of thought, we both agreed together to go. In doing so, I made myself vulnerable one last time with my now ex husband. In a relaxed setting, it allowed each of us to open up to one another and have a few more concluding discussions of relevance about what worked and what did not in our relationship. As a result, as we just finished our last breakfast together before heading to the airport, I feel I have built additional confidence in myself as I close the door on this chapter of my life and open the door on the next.

10. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish you nothing but the best as you begin this new exciting chapter in your life. Your past experiences can only serve to help you navigate what new adventures life brings adding additional layers of confidence to your already confident self.

OnTheHighway likes this.